86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My little gem...86' 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My little gem...86' 4runner

Picked up this original owner 4runner in Gainsville, FL in January. Drove it home knowing the timing chain and guides needed to be done. No rattling at this point but just preventive maintenance. 4 days later the rattling started. So several months later, do to my traveling schedule, I've almost completed the head gasket, timing chain, & steel guides. On with the pics...having trouble loading pics do to my location.

Last edited by rumdumb; 04-23-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Slow internet.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Sweet project!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM

Finally got some pics up...

Here she is all put back together. I still have a intermittent miss that I'll have to work on when I get back. Still have brakes and add a leaf to do but looking forward to taking off the top and cruising.
Attached Thumbnails My little gem...86' 4runner-image.jpg  

Last edited by rumdumb; 05-15-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Great looking runner and a 40. You have two great trucks. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 AM

Thank you Sir. I have read through all of your build threads. Unfortunately I have never been able to drive my 40 as it didn't run when I got it. Fast forward to January and it's lifted, running, 4wheel disc, & some other stuff and it's still not drivable. So I sent it off to somebody I respect and trust to finish it for me. So after that I wanted a new DD that I could work on my self hence the 4runner. As soon as I figure out the random miss fire she will become my new daily so I can sell my wife's car or my Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails My little gem...86' 4runner-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 85 and 86 fuel injector connectors are a poor design. I have seen them cause misfires. First time I ran into it, it was a difficult find what was causing it. While it is idling, I take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently lift up and down on the connector and see if that makes it cut out.

If you do find you have a connector issue, you can replace it with the EV1 style. I get mine from connectorfast.com Here is one that rockauto sells but I have not tried it. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...343&cc=1272136

Connectorfast.com, the guy is very helpful. Also if it is a connector issue, it is most likely number one cylinder as it is most exposed and can get bumped while doing maintainance. I have seen this twice and the other three cylinders I have not had an issue with. Other wise I would suggest looking at the crimps in the wiring harness.

Do you know if your misfire is on the fuel side or firing side? If it is on the firing side, the above wont matter, but I am betting it is on the fuel side.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 AM

Thank you! Never would have thought of that. I did have to replace two of the injector plugs so I will have to check the other two. I won't be home for another couple of days so I'll let you know what I find when I do get home.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM

Help...

I played with the injector plugs and had no change. Here is a crummy video I took with my phone. I hope you guys might be able to just give me some direction or thoughts. Thanks in advanced.

http://youtu.be/0yPPGzuAmYM
Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Aggravated

Decided to let the truck idle for a bit in my carport and then I happen to catch steam coming out the exhaust!?!? WTF! So I decided to do a compression test and I got 180-182 between all four. What could be causing the steam and the random miss at idle? Could it still be the sea foam I added to the fuel when I bought it? Frustrated beyond belief!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I would unwrap your harness and see if the crimp is bad. It is a poor design. The crimps are located between the Plenum and the inner fender in the saddle or droop of the harness. I find it easier to remove the Plenum and unwrapp it but you might could do it without removing the Plenum.

Chefyota had a wierd issue and his wound up being the computer. I would make that my very last check but if you have access to one I would give it shot.

I am also wondering if it could be your coil as well. I have my Haynes Manual on loan and will be getting it back soon. I can find the test to run on it. I have had a fwee bad coils. The test are easy to run on it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

With those numbers I dont think you have a bad head gasket. One would be way low. Might could be Seafoam. Did it still steam after running for awhile? Could just be moisture burning out of the exhaust. You live in a humid area?

I just got a message on my smart phone but cant find it in my PM or maybe it was my email. There are going to be alot of problems with these trucks. I can feel your frustrations with this. Been there myself. Let me know when you get back and what you make out on your miss.

I remember when I first started on these trucks all of the problems I ran into. Most of the information is out there but can be a bear to find. I thought there has to be a better way of finding the information. I started putting my fixes on the first page on the first post of each of my build threads. I mostly try to keep my 88 Runner build link below with the information updated. I can say most can be done cheap or free with the right information. I found several fixes and you are going to run into more, I ran into them, you will see what I mean in the near future, lol, but they are easy fixes. Hang in there and you get it. I am trying to make my builds to make it easier to find and fix these trucks. Some times manuals just dont do what is needed.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 AM

Thanks Terry!

A little update...took the truck for a spin around the block with no issues. Still don't have power steering as the auto parts store sent the wrong pulley. I now have the correct bearing to put the old pulley back on. Just no time. Vapor went away thank goodness! It has a new head gasket and rebuilt head. Next up is replacing the rusted exhaust and installing my inclinometer I just purchased. I also found a thread about the connection for the two injector wires that will help me chase that annoying miss down.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Where it connects to the front of the intake and has a little dip to the inner fender is where they are located. You will also have 2 white wires that connect to 4 wires which is the grounds and they will have a crimp. It is to big for me to remove those crimps and get a good solder on it but I give them a good look over. The white wires have been known to corrode on some of these trucks. Maybe just to much current running thru them?? I don't know but just wondering.

You will also have 2 brown wires with the same crimp. Not sure what they go to but I solder them just for good insurance. Then there are 2 more black wires I think, and they are bigggg. I just give them a good look over as well.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Does anyone have a 4runner inclinometer with a grey cover or even just the bracket? If so please pm me. I'm not allowed to post in the WTB section yet.

Update:
I've had an infection for 8 days now so no real work has been done to my 4runner. Good news is I have been driving it around even with the miss and been enjoying the you know what out of it. Hope to start working on some of the bugs before I leave for work in the next couple of days. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Decided to check the local pick-n-pull inventory and to my surprise they had a 89' SR5 4runner! So I grabbed my tools and off I went. Turns out it was a V6 auto, but still had some pieces I wanted. In the end I got aisin locking hubs, digital clock, and over head map light for under $17. Was feeling pretty good till I realized I forgot to grab the map light cover! Doh...so I'm heading back again tomorrow to grab that. All in all was a great day.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM

Bummer...

Went back first thing this morning and map light was gone and some one had really ripped the truck apart. I thought I would grab the windshield trim but they dented the heck out of! It happens I guess. Proper updates coming soon.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Find threads that interest you and post on them and that will get your numbers up in no time. It helps keep the spammers out. I learned when you find something in the bone yard you have to get it quick while there is a chance. I have yet to see a inclinometer in the yards yet. I am thinking of looking at a Mitsubishi Montero, I think they have one quite similar.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Thanks Terry. Not to worried about not being able to post as of yet. Ill get the numbers in due time as this site is a wealth of knowledge. Good news is I have a map light on the way along with an inclinometer that has the proper altimeter gauge. Bad news is I went back to the doctor again as I'm still sick. Given some more medicine and told to relax. I guess I will till my parts arrive.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Good Times...

Finally home for a few and wanted to work on my 4Runner. Did new rotors, bearings, seals, & pads. Took all day to do a rain storm and only my second time doing this (first being my 40 wich was drum to disc, but decided to use V6 calipers, mini truck booster, blah blah.... On to the before and after pics or my one pic I can post wich appears to be side ways?

Last edited by rumdumb; 10-30-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: I love smart phones!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Ok gents I went for a spin today and the brakes worked great. But I now have another problem though. I have adjusted my valves 4 times now. Every time I adjust them they start out quite and then one or two of them start to really knock or tick really loud? From what I have found some recommend a new rocker arm assembly. What do you guys think could be the issue? Every time I have done the valves it has been done by the FSM. Thanks

Quick Reply: My little gem...86' 4runner