86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mrjaron93's 92 pickup build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YotaBeast191
The truck looks fun!!
Cant wait to see you do the center console.
I have seen a lot of cool modded center consoles.
Stoked to see yours!
Thanks man. This truck is a blast to drive. It'll be even more fun when i get it back together... right now its in a hundred different pieces. I nailed together a small one just for kicks. It doesnt look bad, but its just temporary. ill get pictures of it too.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by racerflea
I would snorkle before the bog personally
Yeah, but i already have the intake moved to inside the fender, so it is a little better than being behind the headlight. I just need to get the tube and cut the fender.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM

So as promised, here as the pictures. haha
first, where my truck has sadly been parked for the last week and a half. (my parts will be here tomorrow!)

next, what i have had to drive while the truck has been down. ha
not bad for $500!

Back to the truck, the motor, in pieces, (timing cover is ready to come off, but i haven't had the chance to pull it.)

now i am attempting this job without taking the head off. Is there anything i should know about doing it this way that may be different from pulling the head?

next, half of the parts that have come off. The rest are in a bin completely labeled. (you can see my 'new' seat cover here)

next, the center consul i threw together. I still have to drill cup holders and paint it.

finally, a picture of the winch mounted on the front of the truck,
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Awsome
Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Looks good.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Thanks guys.
i can't wait for my parts to come in! They will be here tomorrow and i don't have to work.
so im crossing my fingers i can get most of it finished tomorrow so all i have to do is button it up when im off on friday.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Good luck!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM

thanks man. Ill need it. i just hope i get all back together okay. i labeled EVERYTHING just in case.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM

Is that a fork lift battery connector on ur winch!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by racerflea; 05-02-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling on a phone can be a bit odd at times
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM

is that what it looks like? haha i never noticed. but that is the power plug. We have two sets of wires for it. One set just clamps to the terminals and plugs in. And the other set mounts on the truck and to the battery and plugs in. I haven't (sadly) mounted the second set yet so i have just been using the clamp on ones...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 AM

Looks like the center console will make a great step it go in and out of the truck with that 12 inch lift and 44 12.50 15's.....lol
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

hahaha that would be pretty funny. Someone is having trouble getting into the truck so you take the console out and set it on the ground for them to step up with.
I can't get the truck finished today. I have to work. but all i have left to do is put the radiator and the air filter box/hose on, adjust the timing, and drop the front diff. to clean the oil pan. Tomorrow it should be finished!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM

So, this is a heck of a little story...
I worked feverishly all of friday after school, and saturday morning to get the truck ready for the mud bog. I got it back together at around 11:30 and drove about 30 minutes to the bog. I drove around in the two "smaller" runs, then my friend who has a blazer on 44's showed up and convinced me to go through the BIG run. He went first and went too far down the center and got stuck. So i went after him and got right around the center of the hole. I was surprised at that!! Here are a few pics i got of the truck after i got pulled out that run.

I walked around for a little bit and then my buddys radiator sprung a leak so we fixed it with a bunch of JB weld. haha Then i decided i wanted to try the big pit one more time before i had to leave to go to work at 6. I went through it HARD and made it 2/3s the way through. That thing surprises me all the time (i am also getting better at picking lines/driving too...) I got pulled out and i was backing up the hill.

I stopped, put it in first, and let the clutch out, nothing. Then i started smelling burnt clutch. It is completely fried... But that is how the cookie crumbles when there is 170,000 on the original clutch. So another friend of mine towed my truck to my buddys house just up the rode, then gave me a ride back to my house.

after all said and done, shower and all, i was only 7 minutes late to work! haha Luckily i called my boss as soon as the truck broke i was going to be a little late, so i wasnt in trouble.

I should have seen this coming though.. i beat on that truck with all the rock crawling and romping around i do. The clutch has been acting up off and on the past few weeks i drove it.
So i am not surprised.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 AM

so nothing has gone on with my truck this week... I graduate high school next week so ive been busy finishing up projects and papers. But, i was with a friend yesterday, and we stopped by his neighbors house to look at the 61' FJ-40 land cruiser he just bought. Ive been nagging my friend for awhile to take me there to see it, as i love those little things. This truck is out of Arizona, has the original straight 6 with only 60,000 miles on it, and an ARB air locker in the rear. When i was talking to the guy about it he started it up for me, then asked me if i wanted to take it for a spin!
I accepted and just let me and my friend hop in and cruise around for about 15 minutes. That thing was SO FRIGGIN COOL!!!! haha i was stoked that i got to drive it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Better hurry up!! U need that paper boy!! Lol heres a pre grad congratulations lol
Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 PM

You got that envoy for $500?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Better hurry up!! U need that paper boy!! Lol heres a pre grad congratulations lol
haha yeah i know it... i will probably get the clutch the end of this week, i got some side work coming so that means a little extra money!
And thank you!

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
You got that envoy for $500?
Yes sir. a moron at my dads work sold it to us. The rear air bags leak, so if you don't drive it for 2-3 days the rear end sags to the bump stops. the rear passenger window motor is fried, and the coolant will randomly leak, then stop leaking so you have to check the radiator level once in awhile. but i have seen ones around here is similar condition for $4,000. But it really isnt that bad of a car.

I am thinking about talking my dad into letting me put some money into it to fix the problems and clean it up a bit, then use it to drive to class when i start college since it will be a 20-30 minute commute every day. That way i can do more to my truck without it needing to be on the road the next day.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM

a little news on my truck. my brother is lending me the $100 for the clutch so i can have it back together by friday cause there is a wheeling/end of school party my friend is throwing, and i want to redeem myself in the big hole at his house... ha

this isnt toyota related, but my friend knows a guy who owns a junkyard, and we were talking to him, and he said he would give us cars to run in the demo derbies that are coming up in the middle of the summer. all we have to do is put his junkyard name across the side of them, and give them back once we beat the hell out of them. so in the next couple weeks we are getting them, and start getting them ready!! It is going to be sick!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM

okay, it has been a long time since i've been on here. mainly because the truck has been running great, and i have not done a whole lot to it except drive it. i did however just finish painting it yellow. i will put pics up later...

Last night i went wheeling at a friends house. I had trouble starting it once because the air filter got a little wet. i dried it out, and went to start it. It backfired once and blew my muffler apart. then it started and ran fine. This morning when i went to start it, it was idling at 2,000 rpm. normally when it is cold, it idles around 1,500. now, when it is warmed up it idles at 1,500 (normally around 1,000). i changed my oil, tranny oil, and welded up a new muffler. after making a couple runs to the parts store, it is still idling high. I checked all vacuum and there are no leaks. I am sure of this. I checked to make sure the idle set screw was right and it is still turned all the way in. The truck is not running rough or anything. Just at a high idle. any ideas anybody?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 PM

Okay so i have not been on for a long time due to many reasons. Mainly because i have been working 50 hours a week and undertaking a huge project on the truck... So i havent had a lot of time to do a whole lot else. haha
I have been shooting at the hip for a lot of this build. Many of the ideas and things i am doing are either trial and error, or talking with friends and fellow wrench slingers. This is the first time i have torn into anything this much so work is painstakingly slow.
But i will start at the end of last summer:

I painted the truck yellow:
Name:  DSCN0372.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  39.4 KB
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0375.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0374.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0380.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0379.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  95.3 KB
Name:  DSCN0378.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  124.2 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  61.3 KB
(side note) In some of these you can kind of see my brothers 79 chevy that he "restored". Its got a 355, flatbed, 4" lift and 35"s now.

Then i beat the crap out of it for about 5 months. Here are a few wheeling pictures:
Name:  toyota-1.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  93.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0684.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  190.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2769.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  IMG_2774.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2776.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  112.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2782.jpg
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2770.jpg
Size:  92.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2793.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0104.jpg
Size:  142.1 KB

Then while messing around at a friends house i spun a main bearing in the engine. this is where the project really starts.

Okay so specs before the tear down: 3" body lift. 33" MT's. Stock suspension. 4.88 gears. Lockrite locker in rear. Snorkel. Prolly a lot of other stuff i cant think of now...

Projected specs after it's back together:
SAS. Rears up front, f-150 springs in rear. 35" MT's. twin stick, 4.7 low? a rear half cage (a main hoop right behind the cab, 45* bars going to back). Rock sliders. New motor with offroad cam. no bed floor but i am mounting the outer skins to the side (kind of like baja trucks do)

Here are a few pictures of right before i tore it down:
Name:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  133.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0350.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  64.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  75.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0353.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  159.9 KB
Okay so i live in a neighborhood so this is a common thing to see out front of my house. Seven vehicles (and 1 trailer) in this picture is one of my families... haha

I pulled the drive train out.
Name:  IMG_0407.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  117.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  103.7 KB
The bearing that spun.
Name:  IMG_0462.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  106.6 KB
Then pulled the rear axle out and pulled the cab off.
Name:  IMG_0464.jpg
Size:  119.1 KBName:  IMG_0465.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  90.7 KB

Quick Reply: Mrjaron93's 92 pickup build-up thread