86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Low buck '95 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil pump cleaned up and relief valve checked, next will be a new front oil seal.

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 12-25-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Oil pump cleaned and checked out, new oil seal installed. New water pump installed and cleaned all the mating surfaces on intake. Later that evening I had the timing chain and gears installed, along with the head. Everything was going great until I tried to put the timing cover on. I've read several places where you can put the cover on with the head installed. It just wasn't going to work in my case and ended up screwing up the head gasket. So off came the head and now waiting for a new gasket.

I'd say if a person ever encounters having to replace the timing chain guides and chain etc, you might as well take the head off, clean everything up and get a new head gasket on. There's not alot of wiggle room to do it any other way, and makes sense just to take care of a potential issue at the same time. New gasket should be here Tuesday and hope to have it back on the road this weekend.

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 01-06-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I've said it lots of times, doing a head gasket is far less complicated than doing the timing chain. I totally agree, pull the head and do the whole thing.
You probably know already but if not I would take a 1.5" square tube and wrap an 80 grit full piece of sandpaper around it and block the exhaust manifold as well as the intake and any other area thats flat and needs it. make sure to keep it flat and on the span of the surface.
Looking good!

Last edited by toyospearo; 01-06-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Nice, shiny new parts!

I agree, removing the head is the way to go with a timing chain replacement.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
I've said it lots of times, doing a head gasket is far less complicated than doing the timing chain. I totally agree, pull the head and do the whole thing.
You probably know already but if not I would take a 1.5" square tube and wrap an 80 grit full piece of sandpaper around it and block the exhaust manifold as well as the intake and any other area thats flat and needs it. make sure to keep it flat and on the span of the surface.
Looking good!
Thank you! Originally I took a roloc disc to all the surfaces but after speaking with 22reperformance when I ordered the parts, he said go over everything with 100 grit to make it all level. These engines are notorious for sealing issues and said it would cause more harm than good with the roloc disc.

Originally Posted by old87yota
Nice, shiny new parts!

I agree, removing the head is the way to go with a timing chain replacement.

😁👍🏼
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
If you went over the block with that disc you might want to carefully go back over it with the tube and 80 or 100. I use either mostly 80 and NEVER had any problem.The tube I use is aluminum. make sure and stuff some shop rags in the cylinders and try to keep as much debris out of them as possible. I have a shop vac that I modified with a hollow arrow shaft and I carefully run the shaft in and around each crack and crevice of the top of the block. In addition I make sure and get ALL the debris out of the head bolt holes and I chase each one with a special Snap On thread chase. I do at least 2 head gasket jobs a month on average on these trucks.

Last edited by toyospearo; 01-06-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Yea that’s what I ended up doing on the block. I used a shop vac and also compressed air, cleaned all the cylinders up and used a head bolt and some brake clean to get the stud threads chased. Now I can run them in by hand until they stop and back them out.

Originally Posted by toyospearo
If you went over the block with that disc you might want to carefully go back over it with the tube and 80 or 100. I use either mostly 80 and NEVER had any problem.The tube I use is aluminum. make sure and stuff some shop rags in the cylinders and try to keep as much debris out of them as possible. I have a shop vac that I modified with a hollow arrow shaft and I carefully run the shaft in and around each crack and crevice of the top of the block. In addition I make sure and get ALL the debris out of the head bolt holes and I chase each one with a special Snap On thread chase. I do at least 2 head gasket jobs a month on average on these trucks.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 AM

Finished the truck this week and back on the road. Couple hiccups along the way but nothing major. Small O-ring on the water heater pipe that failed once I got it back together, so I had to take the upper EFI plenum off and fish a new one in there. Not too big of a deal in case anyone has this happen-You can get in there but it's tight.

When I had it out I checked the oil pump over, cleaned it out and verified the clearences were correct. Reassembled with new gasket and some Sil-Glide over the gears, along with a new front seal. This solved 2 things-one was the low oil pressure I was experienceing with the truck. At idle, the oil pressure gauge would be on the low end, almost to the point where I was concerned that either the gauge was bad or it really was having some issues. And the second was the leakage from the front seal.

New water pump installed-As I took the old one off it was almost hard to turn by hand. Something inside was rattling around a little as well.

Sent the injectors out to Witch hunter performance to get cleaned, new seals and flow tested. One of the best things I have done as it now has more power and cured a mid-throttle bog.

Night before we had a low temp of 5 degs. In the morning I left for work and the truck froze up in the radiator, which was my fault for not getting the correct amount of antifreeze in. Limped it home and last night drained all the old stuff and out new went in. This morning it had no issue, but I am seeing a small amount of steam from the front when I stop. Hoping it's leftover fluid getting burned off and not a blowout somewhere in the tank . But if so, I'll replace the radiator as they are inexpensive. Should do it anyway and replace the lower 2 radiator hoses and the smaller ones under the intake.

Overall truck is running better than it ever has.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Last week the truck sold! It's moved now to Texas and will be in great hands!

This was a great experience from the beginning. Loved the process and will be watching to see if the new owner takes over this build thread (as he was familiar with the truck and had been following it)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Buck '95 build continued

As Jason pointed out the truck made the 13 hour journey to Central Texas. After leaving Austin at 5 AM via Southwest arriving in Des Moines around 12pm, and spending a good while talking with Jason in his Garage I headed out with Jason's assurance he would drive the truck anywhere. Yep. it made it and I was worthless all day Saturday. It is now in Salado, Texas just North of Austin. Yes, we have Longhorn cattle in our backyard. Not ours, but the landowner behind us.

Today I spent the better part of the afternoon cleaning the frame off, as it had accumulated a ton of salt, brine and whatever rust creating crap they have in the North. I also removed the brand new rear bumper and cleaned the back side of it as it had started to gather a ton of surface rust. It was then treated with rust proofing and reinstalled.

I went through and created a To Do/Wish list as well.

Troubleshoot the horn as it is necessary to pass inspection int Texas. It was a small detail Jason had not gotten to yet.
Replace the crusty upper and lower control arms and suspension components.
Try to locate four brake dust shields, as they are old, and brittle.
Install a OME rear leaf spring kit with new torsion bars to firm up the 24 year old ride. Also not looking to lift it too much, it will be primarily a camping gear, mountain bike, dog hauling, Salado/Austin run around truck.
Have seat recovered and firmed up, replace the headliner though the tear is small and not noticeable.
Finish the sound system Jason pre wired for.

And maybe replace the original stripe kit ??

Having had a '91 Landcruiser, '86 2wd pickup, 2001 DCSB Tacoma pre-runner, and most recently a 1993 MR2, I am happy to be in another Toyota truck. I can vividly remember looking at these on the lot at Jeff Hunter Toyota in Waco back in the early nineties as my wife was shopping for a Camry. Loved them back then and still do.

All thoughts, input and help would be welcome. I consider everyone here much more knowledgable than myself and look forward to keeping Jason updated with photos as the truck's journey continues.

Last edited by Sharkbait95; 03-17-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Welcome!

Thanks for posting an update. I am glad the truck is in good hands.

The following users liked this post:
Sharkbait95 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 03:53 AM

The brine solution they put down is just nasty stuff. We had a rough winter, in fact breaking some 20 year old records this year. I was thinking of sending the A- arms out for powder coating but never got to it. Looking forwards to your updates and pics!