86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Low buck '95 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Radchadtrinidad
nice! how does that carpet from OC fit? is it very similar to the OEM carpet??
Fit is very nice. The carpet is made by ACC and I ordered it through OC carpet as they had the best price I could find. I added the mass backing to it, which I’m glad i did, as the normal backing may have made the carpet somewhat thin.

There is a a fair amount of trimming to be done but I planned on that, actually prefer that as I can make less holes and cuts than needed.

I also put down 2 layers of kilmat down on the driver and passenger side floor pans. Doing this plus adding the mass backing to the carpet is perfect!

Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM
Looking fantastic!!

Thank you! Should have more pics soon, Truck is back to body shop from getting Line-X bedliner and hoping the glass shop finishes their install today. Having the windshield pulled, resealed and new chrome and trim clips installed, plus new sliding window seal.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice work I especially like the carpet and Paint job....
Old 08-26-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Nice work I especially like the carpet and Paint job....
Thank you!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:08 AM

Picked truck up from paint on Friday of last week! So glad to have it back home. Installed new rear bumper and tailights, finished carpet install and all interior replaced. I still have some minor things to finish such as license plate lights, some small interior trim pieces that cover seat belt bolts, etc.

Had a new windshield installed and a rear sliding window gasket, however the aftermarket gasket is not a good fit, the upper corners are short from making a good seal. I've tried a couple toyota parts centers but having a hard time finding a gasket as they tell me it's no longer available. So still on the hunt.

When paint was finished, had them send the truck out for Line-x bedliner, which turned out great. Really happy with their recommendation to run it up and just over bed rails to help protect them from scratches.

This week will be repainting wheels, cleaning interior up ( so much dust from sanding), hopefully locating a good sliding window gasket and install, fab brackets for front push bar. More pics to come!

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 08-26-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Wow!

The truck looks fantastic!

The paint really shines and the Line-x looks good!

You are getting pretty close.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Wow!

The truck looks fantastic!

The paint really shines and the Line-x looks good!

You are getting pretty close.

Thank you! It’s been quite a journey but glad I did it!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM

It is looking great. Really like that color.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM
It is looking great. Really like that color.
Thanks! I’ve always loved metallic blue colors. My first car was a ‘69 Nova almost this same color....could be partially why I’ve gone crazy with this build? Lol
Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Took the truck back to glass shop Friday and had the original sliding window gasket put back in. I found someone on eBay selling new OE gaskets for almost double the price of what normally would be new pricing. But since Toyota discontinued the part and aftermarket sucks, I think they’ll get what their asking. For me, it’s almost $100 just for the part. I think spending another $150 or so to get a entirely new sliding window assembly and ALL NEW GASKETS sounds more realistic. If you’ve noticed, there are quite a few gaskets on a slider-and if you bought all new, you’d spend more than just getting new glass and all. So for now, I’ll keep what I have, so some touch up paint and call it good.

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 09-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 PM

This weekend I’ve started working on body panels getting them polished and waxed. The paint shop wanted 90 days of cure time before I applied and wax. Cab was finished mid May so it’s time to get it protected.

As a little background, I learned auto detailing from a buddy who owned his own detail shop back in the early 90’s. We did mostly dealership work but also got some nice high end vehicles in from time to time. I fell in love with detailing and trying to make each car or truck look it’s best-and I’ve had many people ask me to work on their vehicles as well. But I found that it’s wasn’t feasible due to the amount of time I spend on them. So I tend to just do my own stuff now.

i started with 2 coats of Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze on every panel. It doesn’t contain any wax and is safe for even fresh paint as it’s not a sealant. It gives the paint a deep wet look without any cutting properties. Once it had a day to cure I went on to Zaino products.

I’ve used many different products over the years. Meguiars, Malco, Zymol, Adams, Wizards etc. I first used Zaino products 15 years ago and have been super impressed with the results. But not only the immediate results, but the long term results.

First coat was Z2 Pro Polish, followed by Z5 Polish, then Z6 Ultra Clean in between each coat. To finish it off, I used Z-CS which is a clear sealant that helps protect the Polish for up to 9 months (but typically ends up being 3-4 months in my area with hot summers and some harsh winter conditions.

Here are a couple shots of the drivers fender and hood. These 2 panels took the better part of this evening applying the Zaino system. Am I ate up in the head??!? Ha ha! Yes probably so, but I enjoy seeing stunning results in paint protection and correction.

The following users liked this post:
wacked (09-30-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
What a nice, mirror-like finish!

That paint looks better then when these trucks left the showroom floor!

What did you use to apply the polish and sealant?

Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
What a nice, mirror-like finish!

That paint looks better then when these trucks left the showroom floor!

What did you use to apply the polish and sealant?

Thank you! I used a foam applicator pad and a couple microfibers to wipe it down.
old87yota (09-03-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Last week I was driving home and started getting a squeel/grind noise from the front end as I turned a corner. Once I got it home and pulled the front wheel off, a piece of brake pad and indicator fell out, ha ha.

Both rotors were chewed up fairly well on the inboard side and the pad was paper thin. One of the calipers pistons seemed a little sluggish and the boot was torn, so new calipers were installed as well. Inner and outer bearings pulled, looked great along with the races. Cleaned all the old nasty grease out, repacked and replaced. Wheel turns so much easier now.

Installed new KYB shocks as the factory shocks were still on and pretty much sucked.

Hubs taken apart, cleaned and regreased as well. Now I can turn the hubs without having to use both hands! lol

And I didn't care for the painted rim look so I bought Ion 171 15X8 wheels and used the same tires. Truck is really starting to get close to being finished. Today I ordered a Access Literider tonneau cover.

Last edited by Blownchevelle68; 09-30-2018 at 11:08 AM.
wacked (09-30-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
New rims look great!
Blownchevelle68 (10-04-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Well I think it's time for this truck to go up for sale. Love the truck, had a lot of fun restoring it. Drives great, runs great. But I have a business I'm going to need some funding for next spring. We'll see if I can get a good price out of it...Otherwise will keep it.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:04 AM

About a week ago the truck started running rough on cold startup and seemed to have a miss for about the first 30 seconds of running. I didn't think much of it but started researching cold start issues. I had just changed the oil a few days earlier and also had topped off the coolant. However when I started checking under the hood I noticed the coolant tank was empty and taking radiator cap off, could see it was low as well.

It has been cold recently so I didn't think much of the white exhaust, just assumed it was from cold weather. But once I filled the coolant tank and had it inside my garage overnight (kept at 55 degs) it really bellowed white exhaust in a warm enviroment, so I knew either the intake or head gasket went out.

I started marking all the electrical connectors and taking parts off. Surprisingly only 1 bolt broke in the entire process and that was on the backside of the head. Dropped head off to machine shop and over the weekend they finished it up, only took .006 off in surfacing, chased out broken bolt and hot tanked.

Today I ordered valve grind gasket kit, water pump, timing chain set and thermostat from 22RE Performance. Thought about replacing the oil pump but I've always had good oil pressure so holding off on that.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
wow nice work!!
Keep posting progress PLEASE!
I'm restoring a 91 similar to yours.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
wow nice work!!
Keep posting progress PLEASE!
I'm restoring a 91 similar to yours.
thank you - love your build thread!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 PM

Parts cleanup and block prep today:

Before

After
Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Cleaning intake manifold out after finding it full of carbon and oil film deposits. Nasty stuff inside! Couple cans of brake clean and pressure washer getting it cleared.