86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kitty's 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Search and Sub, mainly SAR in the Westland & ASW in the Seahawk, he took a civilian job when 817 squadron decommissioned all the Westland's last year, its nice having him home every night, rather than away for months on end.

In other news my waterproof circuit breakers arrived today, a couple more bits and pieces and the electrical upgrade will be done, I've roughed in all the cabling, just need to tidy it up and I'll post some photos up
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool videos! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGGGGG! Now I'm REALLY going to HAVE TO blow some cabbage one day and just get lost out there(...eh chem.... with a guide of course! lol)

That trip sounds fantastic. I'd be so grateful to take a trip like that.... let alone with a wheelin "Princess of the Desert" style Yota lover! lol. Hope you guys have a great trip/no issues planning/no problems getting there, while there or back ........How long is the trip?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
That trip sounds fantastic. I'd be so grateful to take a trip like that.... let alone with a wheelin "Princess of the Desert" style Yota lover! lol. Hope you guys have a great trip/no issues planning/no problems getting there, while there or back ........How long is the trip?
Princess....... Princesses - Our lil Princess will be coming with us, she'll be a 2yo terrorist when we go.....

How long ?? Time wise - almost 6 weeks..... Distance about 12,000km(7,500miles) and depending on how long we can borrow the R44 for, who knows how many hours in the air, we'll definitely be exploring Kakadu and Katherine Gorge which will yield some awesome footage from the air that I'll share with you guys.

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-21-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added Terrorist Pic
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

2yr old terrorist hahaha... enjoy these days...

sounds like a fun trip... so what's the hubby flying now? oil riggers? cattle herding? tourists?...

sad that they're taking all those 'kings out of service everywhere... great old birds... nothing like a flying boat helo...
Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, he misses the Sea Kings, awesome & dependable bits of gear. But they were grounded after a crew was killed in an accident and the decision was made to decommission them rather than refit the whole fleet.

Now flies Pollies and Government officials here there and anywhere needed !!

Filled the fuel tank this morning

So I worked on the car most of the day, just not on the project I had planned

My Registration renewal paperwork arrived on friday so I had planned to check what they look at during the yearly vehicle inspection, guess that means that's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

So I guess he running up a bunch of Jetranger time these days...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM

So jealous... I need to get off this computer and get out there. With my Toyota of course.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
So I guess he running up a bunch of Jetranger time these days...
I think most of his hours now are in a Dauphin !

The truck passed it's Rego Inspection with no issues

The last of the waterproof circuit breakers arrived today so this weekend is earmarked for electrical upgrades.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

Dauphin? sweet bird... did'nt think they'd use a bird like that to ferry pols around...

just oogled you'd semi exact local... you're just outside of "the big smoke" I gather...

would you happen to know if the darling harbour monorail was still running?

just oolged it... still in service... for now... I rode on it not long after it went into service back in '88... it seemed a sweet system though a few stops seemed rather close together... was a very smooth ride at the time... a good idea imo but not expanded enough... too bad they did'nt do a better job with it...

Last edited by aviator; 04-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

8seat VIP config

I'm about 2&1/2 hours sou/sou/west of Sydney and about 45minutes nor/nor/east of Canberra !

Yes, the Monorails days are numbered, going to be replaced with a light rail network (another waste of tax-payers money) The Monorail is slow, goes to useless locations, hence its patronage is almost zero with locals, really only used by tourists for the novelty of saying we've been on a monorail, you know exactly what I mean as you've been on it

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-25-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

When I was there it still smelled new inside lol... was a nice fast way to get from downtown out to darling harbour shopping mall... but you're right it was never all it could have been... they did'nt build it out enough... it did keep the transit up out of the way of the road traffic though...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

Got a little bit done this weekend, though frustrated by running out of Argonshield this morning, so couldn't finish TIG'ing up my battery tray I left enough cable to raise the Battery up to position when I get the tray finished !

Installed the Tekonsha P3 Electric Trailer Brake Controller

Installed the Dual Battery Isolator & Battery Link/Monitor

I lost 2 screws that hold the trim piece in where I installed the Brake Controller, I'll get some new screws during the week and close the gaps up....... It was just one of those weekends, frustrating..........

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-28-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Very nice looking Kitty... what kind of batt. are you running in that aux. box?... some will off gas explosive/corrosive vapours as I'm sure you know... I'm planning dual batt. myself bey am going to have it either under hood or frame side [like a road train truck]...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

120AH AGM Battery
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM

Great 4 runner kitty

I like the look of that sidewinder kit ill have to get me one of those. Did you ever consider cuting out the storage panel next to the battery and half hiding it away. There's a fair bit of room there. Congrats on the build so far, looks good.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
8seat VIP config

I'm about 2&1/2 hours sou/sou/west of Sydney and about 45minutes nor/nor/east of Canberra !

Yes, the Monorails days are numbered, going to be replaced with a light rail network (another waste of tax-payers money) The Monorail is slow, goes to useless locations, hence its patronage is almost zero with locals, really only used by tourists for the novelty of saying we've been on a monorail, you know exactly what I mean as you've been on it
You think that's bad.... Look up what our Big Bro's in California are up to with 'THE RAIL TO NOWHERE', lol. Yep, I've been DYING to take the train to Palmdale, CA, then on to Bakersfield, CA!!! WOOT!(just ask some Californians... NOT MANY, for the most part, will be making that worth the Couple Hundred BILLION they're going to DUMP into it)... But hey... it's gonna provide a few jobs... for a few years... OH YEAH, that's right.... it's THE GOVERNMENT, lol.. I take that back, it'll be done in 50 years! lol
Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4BYDUDE
Great 4 runner kitty

I like the look of that sidewinder kit ill have to get me one of those. Did you ever consider cuting out the storage panel next to the battery and half hiding it away. There's a fair bit of room there. Congrats on the build so far, looks good.
Thanks 4B'ie, I have other storage plans for that storage area , I plan on using the structure of the battery tray as support in that corner for an integrated sliding draw system.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
You think that's bad.... Look up what our Big Bro's in California are up to with 'THE RAIL TO NOWHERE', lol. Yep, I've been DYING to take the train to Palmdale, CA, then on to Bakersfield, CA!!! WOOT!(just ask some Californians... NOT MANY, for the most part, will be making that worth the Couple Hundred BILLION they're going to DUMP into it)... But hey... it's gonna provide a few jobs... for a few years... OH YEAH, that's right.... it's THE GOVERNMENT, lol.. I take that back, it'll be done in 50 years! lol
Hi Chef......

Bloody governments, don't get me started, but I completely understand where your coming from

I made bugger all progress today, the baby is teething ATM and didn't want mummy out of her sight at all, so I got maybe 1/2 an hour for myself in between power-naps.

I cut and marked out the battery tray bottom, even managed to overcome my fear of using the router to shape the notches for the battery box securing strap.

5mm A-G Aluminium

Routed (did I mention how much I hate using a router)

Hopefully the girl will co-operate tomorrow and sleep like she normally does so I can bend the sides and cut some securing tabs for the tray. I am supposed to get a delivery of Argon on Friday so I'll be ready to give you guys a TIG lesson

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 05-03-2012 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Replaced Crappy close-up with a less crappy close-up :D
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Nat's on 4days off, so I got a bit of a Aluminium MIG lesson (3rd) this afternoon, can MIG mild steel without to many issues, aluminium is a whole different ball game. I need practice for doing the structural's for a new rear bumper/wheel carrier.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Your trailer brake looks to be a nice setup and so much more out of the way then what I have. What brand is it if you dont mind? Trailer brakes make such a big difference once you get them set up to the correct setting.

Those are some great welds you got posted.

Quick Reply: Kitty's 4Runner