86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JeEvES' 1994 4Runner SR5 Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread is a win.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An accident that made allot of cosmetic damage was a big reason for the LCE, otherwise i don't think i would have ever used my hard earned money to do it this way but am stoked on the outcome. As well my bumper was bent. My thought was if i could build one cheap enough then id give it a shot. again arb's are $$ and my dollars don't get there, so i try and fab. Everything went great in the planning stage.

I really liked how this looked, one problem was no room for a winch later but i figured if it went well i could sell this and build another. 10 hours into welding and metal forming, i gave up, that s hard. stock bumper reinstalled and i think ill just stay like this for a while. Some day i may try and go for another bumper but i decided i don't care about it until i get a winch,
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 PM

I had a little front pass fender damage and decided i would wait for the correct color fender to pop up on craigslist for 50 bucks instead of going about 300 to repair and apint. found one in bend so we made a weekend out of it. picked up a couple more things from a part out rig. Bad vibrations on the way home, turns out i had a bad cv joint in my rear axle. well i was in Bend, and what do i do, me and my damn truck make it homes thats what! get home and find oil leaking out of the rear output of my tcase, errrr. Not wanting to deal with any big problems for snow ski season i decide its time to rebuild my tranny and case. O and to jump back for a second, my cv went bad cause like a man i work on my stuff, that means change my oil. O, but i don't have a grease gun so ive never done that. boom.

So the rebuild commenced which can be found here . fast forward through that and you get this

Marlin R151F rebuild kit
Marlin 4.7 XD kit
trip drilled flanges
MCI VSS adapter
Marlin HD R series shift fork
Marlin HD R series bearing retainer.

Last edited by JeEVeS; 10-21-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM

I seem to have forgotten, OME 900's and 1.5" BJ spacer were installed shortly after the new tires.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Great thread!!
Nice work and pictures! I will be tuning in for sure!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM

So while i was in Bend i picked up a new center console (dog chewed the other to nothing), a set of front doors, and the fender. Well the fender was off by a couple pigments and my dent looked better so its for sale. The doors however was just a good get out and destroy something day. So i went out to "the shop" in Newberg and started cutting. I wanted them low enough that i didn't hit my ribs when i bent over, so i choose seat height. the bevel of the body lines was right there so i used it

Started cutting and trying to plan ahead instead of make a hole, i wanted to try and fold in the outer shell for the threshold of my opening.

Im not much of a welder (see bumper) so this is about as far as i got with metal, i cut the inner panels to fit so they are clean and duct tapped the rest.

I decided that another 100 hrs and i could have metal closed up everywhere or about 20 min i could have ghetto fab duct tape. Tape it was.

I love them. I can touch the inside top of my frame rail from the seat with seat belt on. Its like the door isn't even there. The dog even learned how to ride shottie with the low doors. He knows to stay until allowed so to him theirs a full door there, just a big window. Extra perk. I had planned on powering the window control up but the plugs from a 92 are different than a 94 so no go. I also made extensions for the pass side wires cause they are a pain to get to, but i made them before i found out about the wrong plug.
So i have like 14in extensions up for grabs as well as front door glass and motors and everything else if you need something. Also you can see the slight color difference of the half doors to the body as mentioned about the fender.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM

One last thing and im off to bed. So apparently there is an order of things you should do to your Toyota. Cause i did it backwards. 4.7 and i don't have an axle, bumpers, a winch, gears, lockers! Well i expected it and it happened. Went out to browns with Swapped89 and we played with our new 4.7's. it was a 4.7 party of two. I think we were on Fire Break and i was stuck climbing something. Im not a bouncer spin the tires and geterdun kinda driver. But I have been playing with using the breaks to "lock up" my diffs lately. Well apparently my 22re 4.31 first and the 4.7 combo verse my brakes trying to lock my differentials wasn't appreciated by my stock 4.10 gears. I most have been around 12-1400 rpm and the front went ting. Not a terrible sound (ive heard worse), but a broke it sound definitely. Looked and i had originally figured it was a half shaft. no visual, i must have hairline cracked a half shaft. Well i start to move a bit and it was definitly my gear. Later i get home an take off the front driveline and half shafts. that'll do for now. I finally get to removing the third (which wasn't all that heavy, i was expecting mroe but then again i put my tranny on my chest and bench pressed it into place. Well broke ring and pinion.

Now i've been toying with the idea of a SFA and i think i got dang close. going to link when i do so its not a little addition. Had a serious look over of my life / budget/ needs ( i wanna go wheeling again) and decided on just gears. So today I ordered up some goodies from Marlin and will be impatiently waiting for them to arrive. 5.29 Yukons front and rear with a Spool for Jeni's butt. This will no doubt help me climb the mountian to get first chair for the winter, and maybe ill weld the front after the snow drops so that i can try and grenade my front. Well see. Im made about maybe this and maybe that so ill try and keep it to a minimum. But the gears and spool are definitly on their way. but untill then a little more eye candy
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Might as well try your hand at painting the doors
Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Ive thought about that. maybe next year, they were just a little project to keep me busy. My mind is a scary place when its bored (see history of my truck posted in 6hours ).

So a bit off news. Thur i ordered me up some gears and a spool. i finally decided to just gear it and no axle for now. that will get me through the winter which i don't need an axle for (i think, (thats what they taught me in writing class as foreshadowing cause somethings gonna break now)). So im waiting for those.

::break sleep wake play::

Well its been about 25 hours since i ordered gears and while sittin on my butt today i found an impassable deal on an axle. So i loaded up, dropped by the ATM, and headed to Camas. im back now i need a friend to help me get it from my truck to the lab. Im still going to through the gears back in the IFS but now im ready for spring wheelin. Im stooked, pics when i get it inside
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome attitude, awesome girl (note tranny in kitchen picture) and sweet truck.

As a Skier and an owner of a 4runner with a solid axle and a locker. I would look at getting a low SAS kit I got the 3" TG kit and its way to high. I would use this build as a guide to your SAS swap https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152...ck-sas-164531/

I would also stay away from full locked on the packed snow/ice covered mountain roads. Any kind of side hill even in 4wd with lockers will make you slide off the road. I only have a rear locker so its not as bad but I am still looking for an E- locker to replace the auto locker with. I have a friend locked front and rear and in 4wd in the packed icy snow his truck is undrivable. They are great in deep snow though.

Good luck with the build great read so far.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks friend. When i toss an axle under there it will definitly sit low. Im hopeing to throw the stock rear coils up front and 3 link it when that does happen. And id much rather stay the height i am and if sometime i wanna go to a 38-40 inch tire ill just cut some metal. thats the plane at least.

As for the lockers i bought some gears and stuff from marlin last thur. well sat as i was leaving to go into the woods a package arrived and whatlyaknow. a spooled 5.29 for the rear. thats in and i love it. not to worried about driving spooled in the rear on the snow cause i grew up driving a rwd 3 series with a souped (<-- hehe, soup nazi) up LSD in the rear with added clutch disks. So i feel im fairly used to it. something selectable will go up front eventually but for now ill stay open and my Yukon 5.29's just showed up today for my ifs front.

So wonce i get my new gears in i will be all set up to haul up to the mountian for the winter. and well see how a little snow wheeling in the deep stuff will reck havoc on my ifs, but the axle will start collecting parts so ill be ready.

But for now im off to my "lab" to setup some gears
Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM

Nice build you got going so far, What part of Oregon are you from?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM

So it seems that everytime i get a new part i don't show it off here cause im to busy having fun. Well, inbetween fun times right now so i got some more shizit.

So i got my rear third from marlin

And a few days later i got my front gears.

I thought i had a pic of the pattern that i set up but i can't find it now so, later.

But thats all buttoned up and is great (aside from parking lots)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM

And ive got a pic of where my front R&P broke.

Went out last weekend and still couldn't get it but my excuse is the lady didn't want to keep trying. So im gonna go back out this weekend without her and geterdone
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Damn, that pic doesn't do my rig justice, it looks worse than that i swear .

And the shoulder strap had been bugging me from locking up when i was going up hill. I couldn't lean out and see what was going on with the low doors so i thought of something. Ive got a lap belt for my back seat.

Took it out on the side of the trail and bolted it up to the stock seatbelt location, just doubled up.

Works great except i still reach for the shoulder belt. someday ill learn.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Not much else has changed but i like this pic

And heres one of how i have been setting up camp lately.

Enjoy.

o and im in portland. And if anyone wants a few of us are heading out to the tilly this weekend for a play date.

Last edited by JeEVeS; 11-04-2009 at 07:55 PM.