86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anybody guess what I'm getting ready for???? OK I'm getting ready for paint yea. I have very blessed the past few days a lot of great things have happened for me and life is good but its going to be even better, terry has agreed to take some time this next week and drive down and give me a hand finishing the body work and try to get it in paint. I am so excited and I can't put into words how great full I am to have met some like terry this project may actually see an end at some point. I'm sure we will be taking lots of pics so stay tuned. Hope y'all are having as great a weekend as I am. And terry to you a huge thank you.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh thats awesome jason! shes gona look stunning an the wow factor will have ya bouncing
Old 10-14-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh WOW! Can't wait! I was gonna guess an Amway Sale... hahahaha... guess not! lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I know what it means. That is the way I always get my supplies as well. What ever box is available.

Looking forward to getting this runner to look like the picture you have visioned for some time. I know what you have gone thru up to this point and the funny thing is when it is painted and driving, you would be surprised at how easily it is to forget where it came from and wonder if it was ever the same truck that you started with. I really think one day you will question yourself about it as well, and think "was it really that bad?" but that is also the rewarding experince as well. That is where you will be glad that you did this thread. Trust me, I have been there, sevvveral times. I just dont have threads on all of them.

I am sure I see another major project in your future.hehehe
Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
eventually we'll get to see how my cupholder will work it will go in the pocket under the radio
HEY!! I just did that! Yours looks new..I got mine from a Ford Taurus, saw the mod on the Camry forums so copied it into my truck because when I use my GPS I can't use the holder. I have more pics in my build thread.

Sorry for the thread diversion Jason...been keeping an eye on your build for a while in case I ever get a 1st Gen Runner, great work by the way....one day I'll get one maybe

AND Mark! you get THE UGLIEST SHIFTER BOOT ever award!

Last edited by Grego92; 10-15-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Grego92
HEY!! I just did that! Yours looks new..I got mine from a Ford Taurus, saw the mod on the Camry forums so copied it into my truck because when I use my GPS I can't use the holder. I have more pics in my build thread.
mine is new someone was selling them on ebay saw it an said to myself ya know what that will be very handy since the 1st gen dont got no cupholder an seeing the various threads on people making them i was heck im gona cheat an use the space under the eventual radio to go in
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM

I'm liking all the ideas for cup holders, as with terry I will be moving the switches to the dash I just think its a better location. I've got a few ideas for the cup holder but its a ways off, I will probably start on it as I start on the rest of the interior. I really want to do some interior lighting mods similar to the ones chef is doing.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I'm liking all the ideas for cup holders, as with terry I will be moving the switches to the dash I just think its a better location. I've got a few ideas for the cup holder but its a ways off, I will probably start on it as I start on the rest of the interior. I really want to do some interior lighting mods similar to the ones chef is doing.
nod the rear light is on my list
Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 AM

Well I made it back home, got a lot to get done before Terry gets here but hopefully I will have some big updates over the next few days.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Terry made it down this evening, we didnt have time to do anything but assess and come up with a game plan. Hoping tomorrow will be a big day-

Last edited by jason in tn; 10-18-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 AM

We spent about 14 hours working on the runner and well we got 14 hours worth of work done lol, terry knows how to get some work done in a day. We are still a way off from getting it painted but it has been really cool to see areas that i struggled with get smoothed out Terry realiy knows his stuff. We are hoping for paint this afternoon . I got a few pics but know good way to post them at the moment. Thanks for checking in.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM

awesome lookin forward to the pictures
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM

YES, PICTURES! hahaha.

Hey Buddy, ... just checkin in!

PS> Grego, .... hahahahha... yeah, my shifter boot is HIDEOUS! lol.... looks like a wrinkled old gray prune! lol. I WILL replace it... Just DANG, never seem to be able to bite that bullet when visiting their site! lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Good Teamwork!

Yota Teamwork guys! Way to go!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:31 AM

Thanks guys, i have took a few pics and will get them posted asap. We spent another very long day on it yesterday and it is really comeing together hopeing well haveing to get in paint today as terry heads home tomorow. I thought i was closer to being ready just a lot of small things to take care of. As i said i will get some pics up soon. Thanks for checking in.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM

ok guys we spent about 20 hours in the shop yesterday didnt call it quits until adout 4 a.m. this morning but I have a beautiful YELLOW 4runner. I know you dont want to read my blabber so on to some pics lol.

trying to get the bodt finished up

taping and masking

getting the sealer on

and finnaly laying down some yellow. we were not able to vent the shop at all as we were trying to trap as much heat as we could, the haze was un real you can see it in the pic.

Okay and now for the important ones the finished product

The top still needs a couple more coats of clear, we were fighting condensation on the roof dripping in that area of the shop. ther are a few flaws in it still one being were my shirt bumped into it while the clear was wet ugh. Im am so happy with how it turned out, Im looking forward to getting it put back together which is gonna take some time because I need to clean up all the trim etc. let me know what yall think.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

DAYUMMMMM, LOOK AT THAT SHINE! You must be SOOOOOOOO FREAKING STOKED!!!!!! Congratulations, Jason! Trippy.. I pictured it more of a 'Canary/Brighter' yellow.... but this is, honestly, REALLY close to a buddies stock colored FJ, and another guys TLC that I know. EVEN THE 81 PU that someone I know has looks IDENTICAL to what I'm seeing in the pics...

LOVE IT!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
DAYUMMMMM, LOOK AT THAT SHINE! You must be SOOOOOOOO FREAKING STOKED!!!!!! Congratulations, Jason! Trippy.. I pictured it more of a 'Canary/Brighter' yellow.... but this is, honestly, REALLY close to a buddies stock colored FJ, and another guys TLC that I know. EVEN THE 81 PU that someone I know has looks IDENTICAL to what I'm seeing in the pics...

LOVE IT!
thanks mark, Im so happy with how it turned out. its a much brighter yellow in person for some reason the color just does not POP in the pics.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks nice.. Come a long long way.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM

that just looks incredible jason bravo!

Quick Reply: Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread