86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

James Woods' 88 Bucket Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ever since I got this truck it has had a knock at start up and burns oil, I tried to roll in new bearings but it had just gone on too long as the knock returned in a few weeks. Everything was in specs with plastiguage but #1 and #4 were at the very limit, the crank looked good but the rods didn't. So I have been looking for another motor to either drop in and rebuild this one or rebuild and put in, there seems to be a lack of 22RE's on craigslist when I actually have the money to buy one so I put a want ad up and got about 7 or 8 emails within 24 hours, I have settled on one and am supposed to go Sunday to get it.

"I have one that I am not going to use that you can grab for $350, which is what I got it for. I already have a bolt kit with it. It's am '89 block that has 160k on it, and a head with about 1500 miles. I also have a bunch of gaskets, extra parts, etc for it that can go with it. I'm going to be selling the truck so I'm not going to rebuild it. Let me know if you're interested, it's sitting on a stand in my garage taking up space. You could probably just bolt it together and go, the block is still in great condition. "

Turns out the head is an engnbldr head and it is basically in long block form, I will get pics as soon as I grab it.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

So I got my engine today, it's an 89 block with 166K on the rotating assembly, the cylinders look good, there is no ridge or anything. I took the pan off and checked just the #1 rod and crank, the crank looks like it should be resurfaced but not too bad.
Sorry it was dark in the garage

I also got a box of parts and brand new gaskets with it, I got 2 heads one is pretty old and the other, the guy claims is a engnbldr head with about 1500 miles on it, it is pretty clean and isn't stained at all.

So for now, I am going to just save up some cash and get it off to the machine shop.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Nice dude. I'm ordering my S&J Engine with remanufactured head this week. A big chunk of change but with a 7 year/100,000 warranty and limited cash to deal with endless issues caused by own rookie status, I'll take the initial hit.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

That's cool, I would have gone that way but I just don't have the cash up front to go that route, but let me know how it goes. Are they going to ship it to you or are you going to just drive up there and pick it up?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well I have looked all over the place and kept coming up empty handed until I looked up a local shop called Superior Off Road and found that according to their web site they have it in stock so I just placed my order for this

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
That's cool, I would have gone that way but I just don't have the cash up front to go that route, but let me know how it goes. Are they going to ship it to you or are you going to just drive up there and pick it up?
Just going to drive up and get it. I'm actually buying it through a friend at Baxter Auto Parts in Beaverton. So I don't have to go all the way into washington.

Well I have looked all over the place and kept coming up empty handed until I looked up a local shop called Superior Off Road and found that according to their web site they have it in stock so I just placed my order for this

Transfer case rebuild? :wabbit2:
Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

4.7 Tcase gears actually, Marlin has been out of stock for a while now and from what I can find pretty much everyone is out of them. So are you getting a discount through your friend then? Baxter's is where I always go if not the dealership, I get a discount for being a Carr Auto employee.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM

4.7 Tcase gears actually, Marlin has been out of stock for a while now and from what I can find pretty much everyone is out of them. So are you getting a discount through your friend then? Baxter's is where I always go if not the dealership, I get a discount for being a Carr Auto employee.
No, I wish. It's just easier to let him handle getting it setup rather than me dealing with S&J myself. Plus there is zero markup from what I would pay direct from S&J from what I can tell. And then I can get my new waterpump and oil pan all in one stop.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Trail gear has em in stock!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I see they just got them back in stock, they were out last week I think it was, I saw that they raised the price and Superior still had them for $369, but right after I ordered mine the price on the site changed to $445, so I'm not sure what that is going to mean for me, I already paid him through paypal, and it is a Trail Gear set, I am going to be stoked if I do get them for $369.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM

You should get them for $369.
My buddy was cruising amazon and came accross an error for a ps3 for
39.99 and he quickly ordered it and since they took the money out of his account before they caught it they honored it and sold him a ps3 for forty bucks!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I am going to put up a big stink with them if I don't get it, the site has had the price listed for the last week at the same price and never changed until I assume, they got my order and realized the price hasn't been updated.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Hopefully they actually have that 4.7 gearset in stock. Heard people waiting months for those, both marlin and T-G sets.

I too was bummed when KUFO went off the air. Boneheads.

Will have to look for your truck on the road. My trekker has been on the road last few days....
Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

The site said it was in stock, but who knows if the price wasn't updated then maybe that wasn't either, hopefully I will have them before the next trip to Brown's my brother-in-laws are planning. I can't understand the whole KUFO thing, I thought AM radio was for news, whatever. I will look for your trekker too, sweet truck glad to hear its back on the road again, like I said I swore I saw it a while back I think your truck has a doppelganger around here.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Wife calls me about an hour and a half ago

Rear ended a Rav 4, I had to take a cutoff wheel and a BFH to the bumper to get the tire to clear when turning but whatever its the wife's car
I find it really weird that she keeps asking for a new car lately and then this happens.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

I was greeted today by this box at my door

I thought that Trail Gear included a shift knob with their kits, oh well

So after I ordered my kit from Superior, I never got any confirmation and it still said processing on the site, so I sent an email and never received a response. I then called the next day and was told that I got it for $20 less than their cost for it due to their mistake of not updating the site, and that Trail Gear was going to drop ship it to me and they would email my tracking #.

Never got a tracking #, but I am definitely happy anyways, it was a quick ship and was packed pretty well.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Not to big of an update, like I said before, one of my dash light burned out so I ordered some LED's and just got them and put them in today

I couldn't think of a color that I wanted so I just did what everyone does and got the blue, its boring I know but I didn't want something that slaps you in the face and says "LOOK AT ME!"
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Did you just order a bunch of LEDs, or was it a kit? Where from?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

I ordered them from http://www.superbrightleds.com/
I got 6 194 wedge bulbs and 2 74 bulbs, I only used I think 4 194 bulbs and one 74 bulb for the Heater control light.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

T-case is out and awaiting the 4.7 gears

I will most likely start on that in the morning, for now......

Quick Reply: James Woods' 88 Bucket Build