86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jagger's Build, Shine Runner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Don't forget to sort your non ferrous stuff out and put it on the back or easy to get to so you can run thru the "AL can line" before you roll over the scales for the rest of the steel and crap. Much better $$ if you sort it. Copper and AL good prices if you have any.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Don't forget to sort your non ferrous stuff out and put it on the back or easy to get to so you can run thru the "AL can line" before you roll over the scales for the rest of the steel and crap. Much better $$ if you sort it. Copper and AL good prices if you have any.
Oh yeah forsure! Coincidently how i paid for the 4runner and everything else was all the scrap i had kicking around or pick up for people around the nearest city. I go through it with a fine tooth comb. Copper and aluminum adds up! I have a huge pile of old wiring from vehicles currently i have to take. I also have to take the old green chevy i've been talking about (Which i have been tearing the wiring out of it too.) It will more then likely be spent for goodies on the rig

Anyone know of an easier rear window relay. I think my window computer has ˟˟˟˟ the bed. Or i could cut out the computer and splice the wires together if there is a diagram! I will search it up in a few, just want to see if people have done it before!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM

It's a little bit more involved than just a relay. Has a handfull of diodes and transistors for all the limit switch logic and such.

First make sure it's really dead and not just mouse damaged wires and such. Then pull the case off and clean any corrosion off with IPA, and the contacts with fine sand paper. It'll likely work at this point, if not you can replace the components if you can get the part numbers off them it'll be easier.

You can probably use the 90s era rear window relay but it has a different pin layout so you'd have to repin the plug at the least.

88 EWD book
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM

It's a little bit more involved than just a relay. Has a handfull of diodes and transistors for all the limit switch logic and such.

First make sure it's really dead and not just mouse damaged wires and such. Then pull the case off and clean any corrosion off with IPA, and the contacts with fine sand paper. It'll likely work at this point, if not you can replace the components if you can get the part numbers off them it'll be easier.

You can probably use the 90s era rear window relay but it has a different pin layout so you'd have to repin the plug at the least.

88 EWD book
I'll look into it. There are A LOT of things wrong with my tailgate electrics. Somebody one time hacked it up trying to fix it... Thinging it was other things then just the wiper not closing fully. I'm strongly thinking about hardwiring them i guess you'd say. From fuse block to electric component. I only need the wiper to do one speed. There is no power lock left as it was missing. Just too much missing to fix it to stock. I dunno i'll post up my findings, it just seems to me the relay is more confusing then it has to be.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM

I had these little lights kickin around:

Name:  Toyota4runner100_zpsaeaf2897.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  58.4 KB

And these old fog light casings:

Name:  Toyota4runner098_zps9deed96a.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  94.0 KB

So i plan to make them into bed lights on either side of the cap or maybe under the bed rails, i haven't decided. I would make a little bracket to attach them where the plastic tie downs attached to the cap.

Name:  Toyota4runner099_zps2dd6cf7f.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  61.3 KB

I cracked them open to find a perfect piece i can use as a mount!

Name:  Toyota4runner096_zpsbd5ed1d5.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  88.4 KB

Just gotta push the light holder out:

Name:  Toyota4runner097_zps7b47533e.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  61.1 KB

On another note i got a few new things today, not that it has anything to do with the yoter. A new buck knife. It's perfect pocket sized knife for me. Before it i had a little gerber one which was serated and kind of a pain in the ass to use (However works good for cigar ends) And before that i carried around my hunting knife, which was fixed blade and giant, really handy but too big.

Name:  Toyota4runner101_zps9d8d3929.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  17.5 KB

Finally got myself a new pair of boots. I wasn't orignally going to get all black, but i have ALOT of formal events coming up and because I'm the guy that usually wheres a camo hoodie to one, I've been told to atleast make an attempt at being formal. I still think they're too shiny.

Name:  Toyota4runner095_zps44f57f0b.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  24.4 KB
Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Nah just as complicated as it needs to be. Keeps the wires from melting and the window from exploding from trying to force it up higher than it's supposed to go or trying to move the gate while it's up. Tho I don't think it does that last bit at all, relies on the window frame in the shell.

Sure its been replaced with standard relays before poke around abit.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Nah just as complicated as it needs to be. Keeps the wires from melting and the window from exploding from trying to force it up higher than it's supposed to go or trying to move the gate while it's up. Tho I don't think it does that last bit at all, relies on the window frame in the shell.

Sure its been replaced with standard relays before poke around abit.
I'll see what i can do with it being stock-ish. I do have an idea for some parts of it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I've got good news and bad news...

Good news is it finally runs again! (Had to pick up some rubber line.) It runs reallly good! Which im surprised about. No engine noises. I do have a hunch it's been rebuilt (Hopefully with metal quides) as the gaskets have ooze of sealer from them on most all gaskets, which doesnt happen factory usually, engine is also a non factory color. I'm gunna just hope it is rebuilt being the high kilometers it is.

And for the bad news, remeber those mice i was talking about? THEY GOT IN MY HEAD LINER!! Well looks like im tearing that out as soon as i can. It makes the truck have a smell anyways. Anyone have a good option for a replacement build? I have alot of camo fabric kickin around...

I will post up a picture update later, i got a few other small things done today.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Just a little picture update today. The plastic knobs on the heater control were broken off as usual. I seen alot of people used shell casings, but they used 270's or something around that and it looked kinda odd... I wanted something smaller so, i went and shot the 22LR for a bit to get some casings.

Name:  Toyota4runner102_zps8c783061.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  95.2 KB

And voila! Literally all it takes is a little squish to the casing and they slide on perfectly, they don't budge and don't fall off!

Name:  Toyota4runner103_zpsfd091ecb.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.7 KB

I was pokin around under the dash as i was cleaning it up/ fixing the heater control i found this lone plug, right behind the faux leather glove box cover thing... There is even a piece of tapped metal near it, did something go here? .... I'm curious whether or not its the door buzzer because i don't have one, and my seat belt doesn't ding either....

Name:  Toyota4runner104_zps16165039.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  40.3 KB

Last edited by Jagger_MeisterJE; 04-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Plug K, "Short PIN , W/o Heater". Should be fine like it is, disconnected, it's for those "wacky warm" places that don't get heaters installed.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM

very resourceful you are.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM

very nice
Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM

Plug K, "Short PIN , W/o Heater". Should be fine like it is, disconnected, it's for those "wacky warm" places that don't get heaters installed.
Thanks man! Id be lost on all this electrical without ya haha
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Well because of the damn mice around here i had to tear down my headliner. What a mess!!! Well it's finally all out 40's ford style tin roof Sounds like i am in a steel drum, so i will somehow put up a new headliner.... Probably sound proofing with a fabric covered piece of cardboard Would have taken pictures, but i was reframing from getting mouse ˟˟˟˟ allover my camera
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Not a big update today, it got way cold out today, and it supposed to be like this for another couple days... Damn weather, it's supposed to be spring!

Anywho, the small update...

These should be fun

Name:  Toyota4runner109_zpsf566c87c.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  99.7 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheres the KENWORTH mudflaps?? Eastbound and down!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice!! My buddy had train horns on his f150. We had alot of fun with it to say the least.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Wheres the KENWORTH mudflaps?? Eastbound and down!!
Funniest thing is i have a set of mudflaps from a kenworth with yosamitysam (How the hell do you spell it? hahaha) on them! Wouldn't ever put them on, but i mean hey theyre there hahaha
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Nice!! My buddy had train horns on his f150. We had alot of fun with it to say the least.
All my buddies with bigger trucks wont know what hit em! hahaha The pull cords the funnest part!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Been a while since i've updated, life's been gettin in the way.

So after tearing out the head liner, i found a hat hook!

Name:  Toyota4runner114_zps79504f03.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  6.4 KB

Made up a snorkel from stuff i had laying around, it's not quite finished. I don't like the ones that go up the side of the truck so i just made one to be above the hood.

Name:  Toyota4runner111_zpsd5aa5613.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  2.8 KB

Now i'm gunna need more electrical plug help here...

This one is right beside the EFI, i cannot find anywhere it goes to... When i found it it was tucked up underneith.

Name:  Toyota4runner112_zps233ff86e.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  23.4 KB

And this one is with the fuse panel behind the driver kick panel, it was also tucked up and hidden... Somebody please help me with these!

Name:  Toyota4runner113_zpsfb0fce56.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  6.8 KB

Quick Reply: Jagger's Build, Shine Runner.