86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
thursday, i bought a thread chaser and used it on plug #4. well, it seemed to go in further, and no more (or a whole lot less) stutter. huh.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting, yes!

More video, maybe just one from different angles, now, with the plug deeper in?

Yeah, Ian, that can be extremely important, what depth the plug tip is getting into the hole. I had that problem with another 22re, but it didn't cause a miss.(NOT saying that isn't some of your cause, ....clearly you said you feel an improved difference, eh?).

Only thing I was gonna say, after listening/prodding/multi-metering/stethoscoping/open heart surgery'ing this thing for a year now, ahhahahaa.... Well, was gonna say, I can't be sure, but it almost sounds like an injector is intermittently not firing. I hear that fast click, in the second video, ...then seems to be pausing in it. Anyway, easy check, just put a scope to it and listen in, eh? if you don't hear them cutting out on rare occasions, ....probably not related. Could just be other noises filtering out the injector sound, etc., ya know?

Also, not to freak ya, cuz it most likely means nothing, ...I almost feel like I hear a slapping in that same video, more toward the end, when you're on the exhaust side. I'll listen again and tell you what time in the video, ..hold on, hahaha....

Ok, video 2, 54Seconds, through to the end. Could just be something rattling/vibrating. Just thought, can't hurt to put a scope to the cover, too, eh? And again, NOT saying anything, just hard to diagnose by video/audio, ya know? lol. BTW, I LOVE that tool, the stethoscope! lol.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM

thanks mark. i'll take a "scope" to it this week (piece of silicone tubing). i hope i don't find anything major, but i would like to wrench a bit
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM

I hear ya, ..... it feels good to look at it when it's done and listen and drive it, etc., etc. Knowing you saved a gaggle! Woot! lol. However, I've been at this thing for a straight year..... I think once I'm done with the suspension re-do/lift and AC, ....I'M DONE-DIGGITY-DONE for a while, ....ya know? hahaha.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 AM

yeah. it'll be nice just to use the rig as a vehicle instead of a project. i like building things, so i don't know if i'll ever be done, but i might just have to get another yota to work on (not for a looooong time, though)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
yeah. it'll be nice just to use the rig as a vehicle instead of a project. i like building things, so i don't know if i'll ever be done, but i might just have to get another yota to work on (not for a looooong time, though)
Hahaha, ...yeah, I hear ya. I've been looking for a while. I want an 85 Xtra CAB 4wd SR5 with EFI, ...Or long bed, same dealio otherwise. I know it would be a project because I can't afford the super clean ones! lol. However, once I get said new project, ....I wouldn't be 'just driving' my other one that's fixed much, would I? hahaha. Meh..... s'all good, I'll just be grateful to have this one running and, well, 'RUN IT' for now! lol.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I want an 85 Xtra CAB 4wd SR5 with EFI, ...Or long bed, same dealio otherwise.
ooooohhh dont we all haha
Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
ooooohhh dont we all haha
would be nice, but i'm holding out for a first gen (sfa) 4runner. then i could do an engine swap. (i love my 22r-e too much to swap it out)
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
would be nice, but i'm holding out for a first gen (sfa) 4runner. then i could do an engine swap. (i love my 22r-e too much to swap it out)
Right, ... I really doubt that I will ever change out this motor, it's fine for my needs. I want to keep this rig as clean and close to stock as possible. I still have everything I've taken out/swapped, and I love this motor. Well, not THIS particular motor, hahahaha. Nah, it's all good, just freak things that happened to me. But, I WOULD want a SFA truck like I've had before for certain trips. However, for some, my IFS is just more friendly on the body(30+ Mile Roads back into the Sierras with offset washboard all the way, etc.) These are wide open areas or lacking in a lot of 'crawlin through' needs. Plus, I'd love to have one for the sake of just having a Classic, Stock, Sweet Rig! I already have a 4Runner, but I wouldn't fail to jump on an 85 4Runner at a sweet deal, TRUST ME! lol. Heck, if they were more common, I'd be buying them up and re-selling them(save the ONE I chose to keep, ya know? hahaha)

Also thinking of finding an 84+ Cressida. .... The one I had was REALLY quick and INDESTRUCTIBLE! That straight 6 was a SWEET motor! Mine had a Z-Series Motor(think that's what my buddy the Mechanic said, lol)... it was a Japanese Performance Version, and was VERY quick! (Also to have something easier to pick up mom with! lol)

Ok, sorry for the tangent there, Ian!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 AM

ok, so i had a thought: swap in a 22r and run propane/gas combo, or just propane. i know it sounds crazy, but i'm seriously looking into it. i have a few questions that might be better asked on yt than other sources. i searched around a bit, and the list below is the things i'm not too sure about

(for simplicity, i am only talking about late-model 22r's)

--22re to 22r. it seems the only differences are: distributer, coil, throttle cable, and upper/lower intake manifold
--ecu no longer required
--would i need to change the fuel system? or could i still use the same electric fuel pump, tank, and lines

the list only applies if i want to do dual-fuel. it looks like it'll be cheaper just to go propane-only. i can also apply for tax breaks and free rides in the hov lanes

any input, let me know what i'm mistaken on, etc...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Fuel pump on 22r is mechanical.
i would think a multi-fuel vehicle would be better suited using a programmable ecu like the MegaSquirt. You could dial up a fuel map depending on fuel type/mix for better efficiency.
I have no experience with any of this stuff. If it were me, i'd go diesel/bio-fuel....or 1UZ for the hot-rod effect.

Last edited by RBX; 03-02-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you'd have to change fuel systems as well. No way to safely regulate the fuel pressure from EFI down to Carb. Not sure if there is a drop in replacement for the fuel pump so a fuel tank change might have to be done. Lines should be fine though.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM

thanks guys

i also read that the 22re block has a place for the mechanical fuel pump, but it has a block-off plate... i dunno, but i might be able to put one in.

the reason i started thinking about this was the recent spike in gas prices, where i'm paying as much for regular as premium used to cost. i did the math, and if i commute with only propane, it should pay for itself in 5 months (fairly quick turn-around in my books). the efi-propane kit costs $850, and the dual-fuel is $950, but i'd have to change to a 22r set-up, which would cost more in total (more than just $100 extra)

correction: lce sells the efi kits for $826

another search yields more info. looking at parts diagrams (22r and 22r-e), it looks like the intake manifolds are the same bolt/hole pattern. and i can get a 22r manifold for less than $100 from a junkyard. also, lce lists the head and cam as the same for oem replacements on 22r & 22r-e

Last edited by irab88; 03-02-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The fuel pump is on the head, not the block. And yes there is a block off plate. I think you would need to change the cam pulley since that is where the arm for the pump rides.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
The fuel pump is on the head, not the block. And yes there is a block off plate. I think you would need to change the cam pulley since that is where the arm for the pump rides.
yeah, that's what i meant (head, not block )

thanks, i'll look at that now

yep. that's the only difference in the cam set-up

Last edited by irab88; 03-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM

also found this:
http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...re-ENG./Detail

it claims dual-fuel with efi
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The head does have a block off plate. You don't need to change the gear there is just a fuel pump eccentric that goes between the cam/dizzy gear and the timing gear. When I did the engine replacement in my truck the engine was set up for EFI. Its really easy to do just undo the cam gear, remove the spacer btwn cam gear and timing gear, slap the eccentric on, install the cam gear and torque. Then install the fuel pump. Takes only minutes. As for the propane, I have no idea of it but have been thinking about it myself.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

thanks zach. yeah, i've been looking at the diagrams on toyotapartszone.com, and now know there's a bit more than just a manifold swap. people who say they've done it really like it. i want to do dual-fuel so i don't get stranded (being my dd and all)

another neat idea would be to put a regular cab on my frame. might give me the space i need behind the cab, while keeping the bed intact. probably won't do it, though (yet, haha...)

Last edited by irab88; 03-02-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
as far as the 22r mechanical fuel pump, not needed, just use an electric. but if you do wire it right and use a oil pressure cutoff switch. This way if something happens to the fuel line ie crash and the key is on the fuel pump doesn't still run when the engine is off.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

hmmm... sounds good to me. do you have a reference for said oil pressure cutoff switch? do they come in different values or adjustable? i'll be searching, as well.

and what do you mean "wire it right"? just so it's on when the ignition is on?

that would make the swap soooo much easier if i could leave the stock tank, lines, and pump

Quick Reply: irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread