86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Greyghost1229's 1990 ex cab SR5runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greyghost1229's 1990 ex cab SR5runner build up thread

Hello, I am new to the board and I just wanted to share my build that I am working on. This used to be my daily driver and I wheeled a 82 shortbox that I had purchased finished. I wanted to build something myself so I sold the 82 and started buying parts, My buddy Mark has been helping me stay motivated and helping tackle alot of the build, I wouldnt be as far as I am without all of his help. I will skip the normal SAS pics and start from where I got it wheelable.

Some of the specs
TG suspension kits F&R , duals, 4.7, triple sticks, Longs, ARP studs for everything on the front end, locked F&R, onboard air, TG ram assist with Davez high mount res, WARN 8274-50, 125' of 3/8" Amsteel Blue winch rope, I just ordered a set of 37" iroks and a set of custom offset soft 8's, 12voltguy Dual battery/winch control/4 switch panel, and a bunch of other goodies

Since I have kids the extra cab was too small and I needed to do something about it, I have been looking at alot of ideas for what to do for a back seat and thought, why not make a 4runner, I researched around for some ideas and only found 2 other trucks that were turned into a runner and they were both 2nd gen trucks, so as far as I know this will be the only 2nd gen 4runner 2 door removable top that I know of and the only 3rd gen pickup that has been converted into a 1st gen runner

CHOP 9"

TEST FIT BEFORE I MOVED THE AXLE UP 10"- STARTING TO GET THE IDEA

HERE IS THE DONOR BODY FOR THE REAR SEAT, TOP AND FLANGE

HERE IS A PEEK AT THE TOP FLANGE INSTALLED AND AXLE MOVED UP 10"

REAR SEAT PAN INSTALLED

CUT OUT THE ROCKERS

Last edited by greyghost1229; 02-27-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM

My buddy built a 4runner and followed the exo design that Frontier4X4 used on the Weekend Warrior project, I liked it as well and it makes it alot easier to figure out a cage that wont look over done when you have something to go off of, I hope he doesnt mind that we borrowed his ideas but it looks very clean when its finished
3X3 BOX CAPPED READY TO GO

NEW ROCKERS INSTALLED

SLIDERS INSTALLED THROUGH THE ROCKER

SLIDERS FINISHED UP AND FENDER FLAIRS

A LITTLE SHEETMETAL WORK

EXO HOOP

START OF CAGE AND SLIDERS AND TAILGATE INSTALL

TAILGATE INSTALLED AND WINDOW WORKING

INTERIOR INSTALLED AND REAR SEAT FOR THE KIDDOS

WINDSHIELD BARS AND ROOF BARS
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM

HALF OF MY CAGE WELDED UP AND FRONT FENDER NOTCHED

BOTTOM OF FENDER

FRONT BUMPER IN THE WORKS

SOME GOODIES

Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM

just picked up my new tires, 37x14x17 bias iroks

17x9 soft 8s, I had the wheels made with 3.5" BS instead of 4.5" for a little extra width

I picked up the rest of my tubing for the cage and rear bumper last weekend and bought my beadlocks from a local guy that just started cutting, $250 with hardware and tax
Cleaning up the edges alittle

Prep on the wheel

welded in the hole for the valve stem so I can drill in a new one further in away from the beadlock

All welded up
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Ford Fuel tank

since I installed the 4runner rear seat pan I am ditching the stock tank and I am going to use a Ford F-series aux tank out of a 92 pickup it is the 18 gallon one the dimensions are 34.5x26.5x8
First things first, pour out as much gas as you can out of both tanks and open up everything that can be opened then toss in some matches until it stops igniting any gas
Please use some commen sence when doing this step.

next I cut the flanges out of the toyota tank

I layed them out on the Ford tank to get an idea of where I wanted them

This part I have to do because of my limited space under the truck but I have seen other write ups that the unmodified tank will fit. I cut 4" off of the end of the tank and welded 18 gauge sheet metal to cap it off. I am going to install the filler spout and vent to the front in my new capped end on the upper passenger side so I can route the filler from the stock location.
I mounted the toyota pump and sending unit into the middle of the ford tank, I also welded the toyota baffle to the floor of the ford tank.
There is some light modification needed for the pump and sending unit, the pump needs to be shortened up to fit down into the tank

and the sending unit just needs to be cut and bent so it has full swing inside the tank

Here is the baffle from the toyota tank, I drilled out the spotwelds and then attached it to another piece of clean sheet metal and tacked it under the pump in the ford tank

Last edited by greyghost1229; 02-27-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Make sure you line up your flanges with the pump bolted in them, they are clocked, we welded in the flanges then found out the pump was facing the wrong way and my sending unit was going right through my pump, easy fix if you do the same I just redrilled a couple holes and they fit once again.
I had my buddy weld the tank for me since he has been welding alot longer than I have been, I am glad he did weld it, we only had a handful of leaks when we tested it instead of hundreds of leaks if I would have done it:p:p:p

when everything was welded and cooled we pressure tested the tank and sprayed the welds with soapy water, after we got done fixing the leaks we trimmed the extra sheetmetal off, I left the stock filler in the tank for now because someday I might move my filler door over to the drivers side so I can fill my tow rig and wheeler without moving to a new pump, I can just pull foward

Fixing the leaks

One last test

All trimmed up

I also have the drain bolt out of the toy tank that I think I am going to put it in just incase I need to pull the tank someday
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Great looking build! Cool idea to turn the excab into a runner! Cant wait to see it finished!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 PM

photobucket?

whats the deal with the photo bucket pictures not coming through. Is there something I am missing?
Old 11-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Photobucket thought it would be a wonderful idea to change their image hosting policy from free image hosting to charging $400 a year for image hosting, assuming most people who used their previously free service were millionaires and $400 was pocket change, and of course, the vast majority are not going to pay $400 a year for image hosting.

Photobucket started blocking images (and more recently allowing very blurred images) that were posted from photobucket onto other sites like YotaTech for members who do not pay the $400 a year.

This messed up the forums quite a bit a few years ago, and is recovering.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 PM

thanks!

sounds about right. thanks for filling me in