86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model

Hey all!

I had a request to post my progress on this project so here it goes. Also my first time posting more than a reply, so this should be interesting.

I bought her from a guy about an hour away on craigslist for 2000$ motor and all!

here she is in the garage

here's the motor... it wasn't in this state when I bought it. I got the headers from NWOR and hand painted the valve covers.

here's the motor when I bought it

here's the old 22r. (I know the valve cover says 22re but its a 22r.)

After some persuasion, the motor and tranny finally came out. Any one interested in buying it?

Here it is the motor in the truck sitting on my NWOR bolt in motor mounts.

OK so thats my progress so far. I've got the NWOR bellhousing on the transmission and the clutch plate, throw-out bearing, slave cylinder, etc. in already. I'm having problems getting an oil pan that fits. I looked at the oil pan from NWOR but it's wayyyy too expensive and I'm not sure if it would even work. Does anyone know of an oil pan that will fit that I can get for less than the price of the one from NWOR? (it's 450$ I believe not including shipping.) I've got about 5.5 inches of clearance over the steering in the front and 4.5 inches over the front diff.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
Kwhittington33 (12-06-2021)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude keep going on this i really would like to see the outcome my buddy has a 95 pickup with a 350 figure i might could one with a 351w i might try it
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM

I'm gonna keep going the best I can. School and work is slowing me down a lot lately but I'm gonna take it to a buddy of mine to reshape the oil pan and hopefully it will all come together after that.

I would love to see a 351w in a toyota! Definitely go for it and post a thread!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see you started a build thread! It will be cool to see another 86' with a 302 V8 on the forum!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a mustang double sump. You will need to cut a section out of the driver rear sump then weld a flat piece back in. That's all info I can give ya on a oil pan.

Edit may be passenger side do t remember
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM

http://www.poweredbyford.com/store/i...keyword=15-800

here's the oil pan and pickup that I'm going to use. I really hope it works! I'm also gonna pick up a pulley to replace my air conditioner compressor from summit racing.

Thanks for the input though!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM

Does that have a 2wd bed on it?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Yeah, the bed was more rust than metal when it was swapped. The PO told me that was the only bed he could find that was cheap.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

It's been a while since I've updated so here's the status of the project so far and a list of things still left to do:

Status update:

The oil pan that I posted a link to was the wrong one. The guys at powered by ford where really nice and hooked me up with the right one and it should be here in the next couple of days.

I got a full pulley system from a local junk yard and installed part of it today.

I had to give my buddy his shop crane back so I had to shell out some extra dough for a new one. :/

Things left to do: the list is extensive

re-route clutch hydraulic tube

mount and wire electric fuel pump

wire alternator

put carb on and plumb it

install tranny

find/install a radiator from a v6 similar year pickup/4runner

find/install electric fans

figure out the vacuum tubes

install oil pan/sump

install headers

install spark plugs/wires

top everything with fluids

try to start it

once it is running, make sure the timing is ok

pick up babes at the mud hole
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 AM

i like the last thing on the list....but anyway, are you using your stock tranny? Maybe i missed it but i thought about one day doing a motor swap, and would like to use my stock 5 speed.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM

subscribing to this, I have a 302 in my garage from a 1985 Mustang and I would love to drop it in my 1995 4Runner..
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Yamiryder
i like the last thing on the list....but anyway, are you using your stock tranny? Maybe i missed it but i thought about one day doing a motor swap, and would like to use my stock 5 speed.
Haha too bad that wont happen... I'm using the stock 5 speed yes. As far as motor swaps go, it should be pretty easy. I don't have much mechanical experience and getting along just fine.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE
subscribing to this, I have a 302 in my garage from a 1985 Mustang and I would love to drop it in my 1995 4Runner..
Do it and post a thread!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ceveland

Haha too bad that wont happen... I'm using the stock 5 speed yes. As far as motor swaps go, it should be pretty easy. I don't have much mechanical experience and getting along just fine.
That's what I was hoping. I figure if I keep a 302 stock or close to stock, maybe a stouter clutch and don't beat it the stock tranny should handle it. Especially if I went carb it would be an easier swap
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been working on my '87 pickup replacing timing chains and such. I didn't think it would be that big of a job but it took me a week and a half lol.

https://www.yotatech.com/members/cev...0312131117.jpg

I just took it for a drive tonight and everything is looking good and amazingly the timing is still right!

I'm gonna start back on the 302 into pickup project soon and I'll try to post as much as I can.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM

Here's the 4-5 inch lift/diff drop that I just got for her. I'll be installing it pretty soon!

Still a lot to do but I'll have more free time these next few weeks.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Back again

Hey all,

I haven't posted in a while. Since last time I've gotten a few things done.

I put on that rough country lift. That was a b-word because I had to cut out 2 of the camber bolts and get the bushings pressed out and put back in. What a nightmare that was!

I installed the engine and transmission using the stock F-250 oil pan. It barely clears the front differential.

Everything holds oil and doesn't leak.

I installed and wired the started and fuel pump.

I installed the stock headers. The NWOR headers don't even come close to fitting.

I dressed the front end of the motor with all the stock gear (air pump, a/c compressor, alternator, and power steering pump).

I installed the carburetor and plumbed a line from the fuel pump to the micro fuel filter on the front of the carb.

I got all the plugs and wires attached and almost got it to fire up Tuesday night.

I was running into issues with timing. When I went out to try to start it again today, all I would get is a loud click, whenever I'd try to start it. Any ideas as to what would cause that would be much appreciated. And yes the battery is fully charged.

Thanks for looking!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-photo-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cobra 2 (01-19-2020)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work, looks like you've made some good progress, that sucks that the NWOR headers didn't fit though, were you able to return them?

I had the same issue with the click and no start on my 4runner. It happened when I still had the 22re in it, I thought it was the starter solenoid, took it apart and checked and cleaned the contacts, ended up getting a new starter, that worked for awhile, but then it started doing it again. Then I did the 302 swap after awhile I started having that problem again, figured out that it was voltage drop I was only getting about 10 volts down to the starter so I installed the "Hot Shot Starter Relay" kit by Painless Wiring (it was around $35 at Autozone) and haven't had a problem with it since. RAD4Runner has a good right up on his build thread, I think he solved the problem with the factory starter relay without having to buy the Hot Shot relay, here's a link to his write up, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...00/index2.html hope it helps you out, good luck!

Last edited by rustED; 10-31-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM

Ed,

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna try to relocate the starter solenoid. I think it's shorting on the header. There's about an 1/8 inch gap between them. And also I don't think it's grounded well. That could be the whole cause of the problem.

Tim
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work, looks like you've made some good progress, that sucks that the NWOR headers didn't fit though, were you able to return them?

I had the same issue with the click and no start on my 4runner. It happened when I still had the 22re in it, I thought it was the starter solenoid, took it apart and checked and cleaned the contacts, ended up getting a new starter, that worked for awhile, but then it started doing it again. Then I did the 302 swap after awhile I started having that problem again, figured out that it was voltage drop I was only getting about 10 volts down to the starter so I installed the "Hot Shot Starter Relay" kit by Painless Wiring (it was around $35 at Autozone) and haven't had a problem with it since. RAD4Runner has a good right up on his build thread, I think he solved the problem with the factory starter relay without having to buy the Hot Shot relay, here's a link to his write up, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...00/index2.html hope it helps you out, good luck!
Do you think this frayed wire would cause the problem?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ford 302 into '86 Toyota Pickup 4x4 regular cab base model