86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

the dragons 88 runner buildup/rebuild

Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey all yes omg its the dragon the runner is back running thanks to rad4 i needed a bit of help but together we got it damn electrical issues but lets back up a bit hmm past two months have been utter hell

house issues money you name it its gone wrong then truck alternator goes out well it was to be expected ive never replaced it on this truck so luck out an get a higher amp one for less than the standard one since im running H4 headlights figure hey this is a good thing putting in the alternator i get coolant in the eye looking up the core of my original radiator around the outlet is rotted one touch an the copper n brass crumbled ugh finish the alternator

off to the land of ebay i try three of the ones they say are for the 4cyl BULL they dont fit either the shroud wont bolt on or if it does it hits the fan, the flange on one was totally wrong IE:three weeks of lost time so i think ya know what F it i go measure the v6 radiator lo n behold it should fit i order up a full aluminum 3 core one it does fit almost its a bit taller at the core the cap has to be a short one and need to modify the hood rib a bit to fit (read hammer) but other than needing to make a hole for one bolt to hold the fan shroud on the others fit perfectly all else lines right up

but i guess it was a bit too late within a week the right rear corner of the head gasket failed couldnt take the full pressure of the coolant? i dont know so into the engine i dove yep popped the seal ring on the #4 cyl to the coolant passage and outside it was puttering out near the firewall but sigh after replacing that new head bolts getting the thing all bolted back together EGR pipe broke

yes im getting tired you tired yet?

i got a replacement egr valve got the pipe cleaned of the broken bit which was stuck in the threads (pipe that feeds into the upper plenum) thats installed YAY crank engine over just checking for fuel leaks go to try a bit more clunk.....nothing wtf?

ugh (insert list of rude bad words here) i go round check the obvious an then the not so obvious still nothing she wont crank over

ok i message terry87 no response waited a week
i look up various things it could be here on the forum an send off for a kit to rebuild the starter solenoid as it seems to be a regular culprit an i havent done nothing with it since i got the truck glad i did the one terminal inside it was baddy eroded it bent with a gentle finger push so that rebuilt reinstalled and!

nothing.....

oh the cussing was epic im sure a few truckers would have blushed i was just pissed i cant even start testing if i cant get her to crank! i get a hold of rad4 an it was a combo of bad connection and dirty terminals the connection had to be replaced but that done a bit of distributor adjusting she fired right over (i was off a couple teeth on the dist) im 50 years old damn younger truck kicking my butt

tomorrow refill the coolant get the thing nose high get any air out of it let her warm up set the timing put the hood back on and the belly pan

ow my back....
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
She Lives!
Tnx for the info on V6 radiator. Please keep us posted on how that does because my engine runs hotter than normal in the summer running up hills.
I left Terry a how are you post on his build thread.

Greetings from where LC70 sightings are frequent ...

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-14-2019 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (08-14-2019)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:37 PM

well here we go again

4/11/2024 5pm ish
heading east on poleline road towards blue lakes ave a green F250 with a 17 yr old driver decides to not wait at the yellow yield left an went on causing a 3 vehicle wreck my 88 4runner and another ford an F150 my 4runner drove off the road out of the way the fords were DOA so already got the insurance done they totaled her an i bought her back OF course but now begins the work got new yes not the best parts but i have to get what i can with the $ i got my grill guard is done for i got that from here but the thing saved my engine an likely me an my passengers as well witnesses said my rig hit the 250 an BOUNCED off i had the time to say oh fu* an that was it

already have the front end taken apart an the fuse box is busted BAD got squashed tween the fender and the battery anyone got one up for sale?
no brken glass but the drivers window is out of its track i havent checked it yet i hit the door an roof pretty hard had a concussion for a week center rail of frame got a kink in it will have to get that out

Old 05-19-2024, 08:42 AM

Received 572 Likes on 451 Posts
Wow! I am glad you were not hurt worse! Take care of yourself.

That sucks!

Is there any frame damage?

Old 05-19-2024, 11:35 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Oh. Long time no hear from. That is terrible. Did insurance total it? How much did they give you? I have learned it's better to go through the driver at fault's insurance company. If you can't find parts, there are a bunch of sellers on Facebook 1st Gen 4Runner Mafia. I look forward to your rebuild.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Wow! I am glad you were not hurt worse! Take care of yourself.

That sucks!

Is there any frame damage?

a small kink in the center its mostly all the body fan was crushed into radiator fan clutch fell apart once i got it off the lower radiator shroud survived an is already on the new shroud LOL

Old 05-19-2024, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Oh. Long time no hear from. That is terrible. Did insurance total it? How much did they give you? I have learned it's better to go through the driver at fault's insurance company. If you can't find parts, there are a bunch of sellers on Facebook 1st Gen 4Runner Mafia. I look forward to your rebuild.
yep they totaled her ive got to take my tital in to the dmv an pay to get it changed to a salvage
an yes the at fault insurance paid me for her the guy they sent out was freaking over the rig with a fine tooth comb even checked the condition of my oil i got extra due to the face the interior is in such great shape an oil was clean newer tires on the back
ect ect they compaired her to two rigs one in boise with a 6 an blown engine sold for round 9K an a 4 cyl in lakeland florida which was near identical to mine it was sold at auction for 9.5k so they gave me in that region paid out 1265 for her back just in towing her home had no less than 5 people wanting to buy her as is i was like back you vultures! BACK