Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I call shotgun on the next trail!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Mine is a welding tank
Where did you pick this up? How much was it?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Welding supply shops are good places

And back to the discussion of gas mileage, my 86 Turbo auto pickup will get 18mpg city, 19mpg highway.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
we were on a subject???
and we werent talking about gas mileage, were we???
Old 10-09-2008, 01:23 PM

great looking build...can't wait to see more!

i put marlin's 4" springs on my '84 and cleared 37's with no trimming. i put the front axle 1 1/2" forward of stock i believe (might have to double check on that) and it cleared the firewall on full compression and full lock turns. i also had a 1" body lift that i never got around to taking off, but was confident that if i did the front tires would still have not contacted the firewall, but might have had to redo my bumpstops to keep from contacting the fenders both front and rear. very flexy, fairly good ride height (but would have liked to take out the body lift). would have liked it a fuzz shorter, but to make up for the heavier rear i used a two inch longer shackle in the rear (which gives an additional inch of ride height).

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM

Man Idayota Id sure like to find a bumper like that. I hae looked high and low and cant seem to locate one anywhere.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by idayota

I would love to go this route with my pickup. The two big things stopping me are money (shock) and the fact that I want to be able to DD mine every day for work and not get killed in the MPG department.

Great looking rig!
Old 10-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Where did you pick this up? How much was it?
I picked up a buddy's old tank a long time ago, held on to it for a while and then used that for my exchange. I don't know how much it would cost to get a tank out right without a core to return. Next time I'm there I'll ask.

I usually go to Lynweld, it's couple blocks from the 4 Wheel Parts store in Denver off of Peoria (kill two birds with one stone).
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
^^ Welding supply shops are good places

And back to the discussion of gas mileage, my 86 Turbo auto pickup will get 18mpg city, 19mpg highway.
I'm guessing I'm getting about the same, I know that highway is about 19mpg, but I've never figured out the city figure.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
we were on a subject???
and we werent talking about gas mileage, were we???
I think I might have to get back to work, so we have something to talk about beside's gas milage!

Originally Posted by idayota
great looking build...can't wait to see more!

i put marlin's 4" springs on my '84 and cleared 37's with no trimming. i put the front axle 1 1/2" forward of stock i believe (might have to double check on that) and it cleared the firewall on full compression and full lock turns. i also had a 1" body lift that i never got around to taking off, but was confident that if i did the front tires would still have not contacted the firewall, but might have had to redo my bumpstops to keep from contacting the fenders both front and rear. very flexy, fairly good ride height (but would have liked to take out the body lift). would have liked it a fuzz shorter, but to make up for the heavier rear i used a two inch longer shackle in the rear (which gives an additional inch of ride height).

That's good to know. After looking at a bunch of rigs I think 3" in the front and 4" in the back should be about perfect with 35's. I want the thing to set a low as possible without cutting the body, I will be running bumpstops (same as the last rig) and don't mind moving the axles around a little bit for clearance.

Is your suspension broken in on the above pictures? Most the rigs I've seen are after they installed the suspension and I'm wondering how much it's going to sag after a season or two of wheeling.

I would love to go this route with my pickup. The two big things stopping me are money (shock) and the fact that I want to be able to DD mine every day for work and not get killed in the MPG department.

Great looking rig!
This is my one and only vehicle, if I can do it so can you! The only reason I can afford it is because I scraped the crawler, it took me over five years of saving and wrenching to get that one were I wanted it to be. After I finish selling and saving the old parts I should almost break even (besides for the ARB's/E-lockers, I'm going to have to save up a while for those ).
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM

keep up the nice work im planing on buying a 1st gen my self and then turbo it
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Is your suspension broken in on the above pictures? Most the rigs I've seen are after they installed the suspension and I'm wondering how much it's going to sag after a season or two of wheeling.
yeah, these pictures are after about six wheeling trips and three or four months of daily driving.

Originally Posted by Duelertoyota4x4
Man Idayota Id sure like to find a bumper like that. I hae looked high and low and cant seem to locate one anywhere.
its a smitty built. i've had two and didn't really like either. they aren't that stout (made out of pretty thin metal) and aren't sound enough to mount a winch to.

i drove mine everyday, six days a week, 40 miles round trip. most of it was stop and go driving and would average between 17 and 20 mpg with 5.29's, the 37's, 22r with mild cam and 32/36 weber carb. don't be afraid to daily drive your rig...that's the fun part.

end hijack...
Old 10-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerguy
keep up the nice work im planing on buying a 1st gen my self and then turbo it
Thanks! First gen 4Runners are great, LC Engineering makes a turbo kit but it's $$$
Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 PM

I got a couple little things done (hardly worth posting, but oh well). I'm waiting to order all the big stuff (next week or two), so I'm just working on keeping busy with little stuff that I can do now.

I first mounted my rear cargo light, I wanted something bright that would light up the entire cargo area. I also wanted it to be out of the way, here's what I came up with.

It's a cheap Wal-mart fog light that I had in the old truck, mounted on the back of the fiberglass top.

I ran the wiring down to the corner of the top, where the factory connector is for the rear wiper. I plan on building a complete accessory wiring harness for all the lights and other stuff. Once I build that, there will be a connector for removing the top.

And with everything back together

Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM

And here's how the light shines into the cargo area. It will make finding stuff in the back alot easier.

I also made a little holder for my rain coat (can you tell I was bored ). It's just a small bungie that I cut the hooks off of and screwed to one of the speaker boxes.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:01 PM

I will be re-using my old wheels on this project, so I gave them a new coat of paint (bedliner). They got a little tore up in Carnage, but did their job.

They are 15 x 8, reversed steel wheels with 2" of backspacing. I also installed some wheel stiffeners from Copperhead Fabrication to keep them from bending and getting tore up. It might be a little overkill for this 4Runner but I like them.

After a couple trails

And a little paint I will be mounting up the new tires tomorrow, so I wanted to get the wheels ready and be done with it.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:17 PM

schweet. Do you have any pictures of the light mounted? Like, how you got the bolt through only one section of the topper?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes
schweet. Do you have any pictures of the light mounted? Like, how you got the bolt through only one section of the topper?
There was not a lot of room to take pictures, so this one is the best I have. If you look towards the wiper motor real close you can see that this area of the topper is double wall and that there is a small void inside. I mounted the light as close to the opening, while still being able to get the cover back on for the wiper. Then I drilled two holes, one for the bolt and the other to run the wiring through (if you look at the back of the light you can kind of see it). In order to reach the nut on the back side I had to tape it to the wrench and then fight with it to get the wrench back off. It was all pretty easy, just a little time consuming with the location. Also, to get the wiring through I had to stick an old antenna up from the back side (where the plugs are) and pull the wires back through.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 10-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM

that's a great idea! are you going to run dual batteries when you get the accessory circuit finished?

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread