86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the point of turning the fan off for water crossings? Is it because of the extra pressure it has to move?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The water will break the fan blades off.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Also its to stop the fan from kicking up water and/or mud into the engine bay like the stock clutch drive fan would because it runs all the time. So it keeps the engine and components under the hood stay somewhat clean and the water isn't whipped around into things like the ignition coil and stuff that could cause some issues on the trail

I have loads of experience from this(the mud part, didn't have a front skid plate but had the stock clutch drive fan when i bought the runner)
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
NICE.. i was going to ask if you were going to put a timer on it. i really like that alpine also, thinking about geting one this summer. iv played with the one my buddies girlfriend has in her jetta.. its pretty cool, im sure once you get a ipod you will like it more. i have a older alpine (6 or 7 years old) with a aux. interface cable for my ipod... its a real pain in the arse to try and dig the ipod out of the console and try and change songs or pause it while driving.. not to mention it doesnt charge it so eventually it dies.
I'm pretty excited about the new Alpine, it's taking a little getting used to but it's really nice. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but an extra $50 - $75 really isn't that much in the long run and the extra features / quality really make it a smart choice. I can't wait to get an Ipod and try it out, I did pick up a couple USB memory sticks and they work great.

Originally Posted by Hayes
That is the same head unit I want to install in my truck, but I also need to get speakers and the like.

Nice install, do you have the Turbo Timer hooked up to the parking brake?
I bypassed the parking brake feature. On a manual it would be a must, but on an auto it's not really needed as much. It will also be better on the trail if I need to move it a few feet after turning it off.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Whats the point of turning the fan off for water crossings? Is it because of the extra pressure it has to move?
Originally Posted by meswoleshane
Originally Posted by hauckster
Also its to stop the fan from kicking up water and/or mud into the engine bay like the stock clutch drive fan would because it runs all the time. So it keeps the engine and components under the hood stay somewhat clean and the water isn't whipped around into things like the ignition coil and stuff that could cause some issues on the trail

I have loads of experience from this(the mud part, didn't have a front skid plate but had the stock clutch drive fan when i bought the runner)
I've also heard of the radiator getting damaged in the process too. I really don't want to find out what happens, that's why I have the switch
Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM

hey, do you still have the t-case setup? The stock auto version? I found out my t-case output has 1.5" of play... I need to replace it and don't have the funds to do the gear driven conversion.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been following this thread and up until now I have not posted. Your work is top notch and shows a tremendous amount of skill and attention to detail. You have researched this build like a pro and your execution is amazing, good job.

Then I saw that pic of your new head unit and I said to myself, there is a man after my own heart. Battery from the Puppets album. You take a pic to post and you put Battery on there. Old school metal from the boys. I am a huge Metallica fan and that brought a smile to my face.

Good job.

Metal Militia!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meswoleshane
That's what I was kind of thinking originally

Originally Posted by hauckster

Gotcha. So what would you do to protect the ignition coil and "stuff that could cause some issues on the trail"? Seems like if your going through deep enough water to need to turn the fan off, that this would always be at risk of getting messed up
Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 AM

haha right on outlawmike.. i just knowticed that also. but i will be honest i feel i personaly can rock out a little more to welcome home (sanitarium) on that album..but then put in ...and justice for all .. skip to the song "one" and o its on!! lol (bows to the metal gods)
Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone

it is something I need to pick up too...a beverage tank is a lot cheaper to find than a power tank...and a lot faster than 99% of the plug in compressors you will find
since you have shown that you can fab (dirtco) stuff but you talk about wanting more room, could i recommend ditching the ac in favor of a compressor and possibly making a new rear bumper that doubles as a tank so you have both a compressor and a tank. my brother did it on his 68 bronco (omg that thing is sexy) but i dont have pics as hes in PA and im in NC.

also, maybe a new kicker solo baric l5 10in sub and box? it packs a punch but its tiny compared to other subs and boxes. http://kicker.com/L5_subboxes

your trail gear is kind of an inspiration as i am putting together a recovery bag and such and was getting stumped as to what to put in it.

Last edited by JShaffer0525; 02-20-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM

86Toyrunna,

My choice would have been Dyers Eve off the Justice album. Some serious thrash Metallica.

But Battery is a quality metal song, I scream my lungs out to that in concert as much as anything else.

But, enough about that, don't want to hijack the thread.

Mike
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Gotcha. So what would you do to protect the ignition coil and "stuff that could cause some issues on the trail"? Seems like if your going through deep enough water to need to turn the fan off, that this would always be at risk of getting messed up

well the distributor has a breather that likes the suck up water you just run a hose off of it up to the fire wall and loop it around a few times also RTV the o-ring around the distributor cap that saves a lot of headaches on the trail(pain in the a$$)

ignition coil has never been a problem for me even with no skid plate but i guess you could water proof it with something never really looked at it, guess I'm gonna have to start lol

the fuses are pretty well weather proofed from the factory if you fill the engine bay to the the hood you have to worry about your ecu and other computers(if you have an auto and/or an ECT)

alternators and starters i haven't read much on water-proofing them

did i miss something?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM

hey, do you still have the t-case setup? The stock auto version? I found out my t-case output has 1.5" of play... I need to replace it and don't have the funds to do the gear driven conversion.
The stock auto t-case is still in the truck. I plan on installing the 4.7 gears this weekend and maybe the auto adapter next weekend (or the weekend after). Your more than welcome to have whatever you need once the gear drive case is in and I know everything works right. As I'm sure you know, it doesn't come apart as one piece so it will be a box of housings and clutches, etc. Have you tried to tighten the rear output? Mine had a bunch of play when I first got it but I was able to get rid of most of it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Have you tried to tighten the rear output? Mine had a bunch of play when I first got it but I was able to get rid of most of it.
And how would I do that? I have looked through the FSM, and have not found anything on the auto t-case.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
I've been following this thread and up until now I have not posted. Your work is top notch and shows a tremendous amount of skill and attention to detail. You have researched this build like a pro and your execution is amazing, good job.

Then I saw that pic of your new head unit and I said to myself, there is a man after my own heart. Battery from the Puppets album. You take a pic to post and you put Battery on there. Old school metal from the boys. I am a huge Metallica fan and that brought a smile to my face.

Good job.

Metal Militia!!
Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
haha right on outlawmike.. i just knowticed that also. but i will be honest i feel i personaly can rock out a little more to welcome home (sanitarium) on that album..but then put in ...and justice for all .. skip to the song "one" and o its on!! lol (bows to the metal gods)
Originally Posted by OutlawMike
86Toyrunna,

My choice would have been Dyers Eve off the Justice album. Some serious thrash Metallica.

But Battery is a quality metal song, I scream my lungs out to that in concert as much as anything else.

But, enough about that, don't want to hijack the thread.

Mike
Hell yea Mike!

I grew up listening to Metallica. I usually listen to most of my music in the truck and since the CD player was broke forever I only heard my favorite songs when they were on Sirius. As soon as I found out the head unit was able to play USB's, I downloaded all my Metallica CD's (except "Ride the Lightning" because someone stole it, along with the CD player it was in ). It's been great to hear the whole CD, and have the next one only a button way! Yesterday was Puppets, today was Justice, life is good!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JShaffer0525
since you have shown that you can fab (dirtco) stuff but you talk about wanting more room, could i recommend ditching the ac in favor of a compressor and possibly making a new rear bumper that doubles as a tank so you have both a compressor and a tank. my brother did it on his 68 bronco (omg that thing is sexy) but i dont have pics as hes in PA and im in NC.

also, maybe a new kicker solo baric l5 10in sub and box? it packs a punch but its tiny compared to other subs and boxes. http://kicker.com/L5_subboxes

your trail gear is kind of an inspiration as i am putting together a recovery bag and such and was getting stumped as to what to put in it.
I thought about getting rid of the AC and converting it to an air compressor, but I really like the idea of having AC. I have been thinking about getting rid of the 6x9 boxes and mounting them in the rear panels, that would free up a little room.

It's not so much about making more room, but making use of what I have. I would like to get a smaller box and sub one day but I have more important things to get first.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 PM

And how would I do that? I have looked through the FSM, and have not found anything on the auto t-case.
My rear output had some play in it and caused some vibration at speed. I just pulled the rear driveshaft and tightened the nut down, I knew I was going to convert to a gear drive transfer case so I didn't worry about specific torque specs. Not too tight, just enough to get rid of the play. There could be alot of other things going on though.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Hell yea Mike!

I grew up listening to Metallica. I usually listen to most of my music in the truck and since the CD player was broke forever I only heard my favorite songs when they were on Sirius. As soon as I found out the head unit was able to play USB's, I downloaded all my Metallica CD's (except "Ride the Lightning" because someone stole it, along with the CD player it was in ). It's been great to hear the whole CD, and have the next one only a button way! Yesterday was Puppets, today was Justice, life is good!

Dude, that must have been torture, never hearing the metal you needed, having to hunt around for your favorite stuff. Well, not torture, but a little less enjoyable time in the rig. I was in 7th grade when Kill em All came out, long red hair, the blue denim jacket, ahhh, those where the days. My parents never figured out my fascination with the band, and still shake their head when I go to shows. I caught them in Fresno and Oakland this fall, they still put down an incredible live performance.

Good luck on the build, not that you are going to need any luck.

Mike
Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 PM

I got my 4.7 T-case gears installed

It went a lot smoother than I thought it would, only took about half the day. Marlins instructions almost make it fool proof, every single step is detailed.

Marlins Instructions:

http://marlincrawler.com/tech/4701-gear-install

I didn't take many pictures because Marlin has it taken care of, there's really nothing else to cover. Here's a few though.

Transfer case and doubler seperated

Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Everything apart! It was about this time I started wondering whether I was going to be able to get it all back together right.

I used a cut off wheel to clearance the case, it worked great. I just made sure to keep it moving all the time. After installing the gear in the case I noticed it was rubbing a bit, so I colored it with a black Sharpie and spun it a few times. That showed where it needed a little work work and once I was done I hit it with some brake cleaner.

Going back together, look at the size of that 23 spline input!

All done and ready for it's new home. I still need to clean the surface that mates to the transmission, and get my twin stick that I've waiting a couple weeks for.

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread