Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 83 stump jumper
Wow man looks great!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hayes
That's nice looking.

Can I have that transfer case linkage part that rotates on the end of the housing? Mine is all busted up and nasty...
I think it turned out pretty good, the shifter fits in that location really well.

You can have all of that linkage stuff, I was going to throw it away but thought you might want it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
You can have all of that linkage stuff, I was going to throw it away but thought you might want it.
I really do, since it looks like I am a few months out on my dual case swap...

I can probably make a trip up next week sometime. I'll PM you when the time gets closer.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Pictures

You did a great job showing you Rail Shifter install. Looks great. If you send those photos, I'll post a couple on my website if you don't mind.
Great job keep up the good work on the build.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I really do, since it looks like I am a few months out on my dual case swap...

I can probably make a trip up next week sometime. I'll PM you when the time gets closer.
That sounds good, just give me a day or two notice and I'll have the stuff waiting for you.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
You did a great job showing you Rail Shifter install. Looks great. If you send those photos, I'll post a couple on my website if you don't mind.
Great job keep up the good work on the build.
Thanks!

Not a problem, you can use the pictures of my install. I'll E-mail you the higher quality ones as soon as I get some time.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 PM

nice build man, I love watching your rig come together. have you gotten rid of the AUTOMATIC decal on the tailgate yet? man that decal would bother me so bad!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool pics on the shifter! I like the way you set everything up
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by blacklabel
nice build man, I love watching your rig come together. have you gotten rid of the AUTOMATIC decal on the tailgate yet? man that decal would bother me so bad!
Thanks! No, the AUTOMATIC decal is still on the tailgate. I'm going to leave it there since it's still an auto, you don't see a whole lot of them around and hardly ever on the trail. I really want to keep the whole "unique" aspect of the 4unner as much as possible.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Cool pics on the shifter! I like the way you set everything up
Thanks, I got lucky with how close in size the Rail Shifter was compared to the 4wd shifter openning. It took a little time to figure out the ergonomics of all the switches and stuff, but it mainly came down to where everything would fit.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask why you mounted the shocks with the cans on the bottom? Wouldn't you want to put the cans up top to reduce unsprung weight?

Last edited by strykersd; 02-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Can I ask why you mounted the shocks with the cans on the bottom? Wouldn't you want to put the cans up top to reduce unsprung weight?
It depends on who makes the shock, most the nice higher end shock mount the way you are talking about with shock body above the shaft. These are some cheap Skyjackers and were designed to mount the other way. I will be replacing these with some nicer shocks later.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 PM

I spent the day in the shop, working on wrapping up a couple smaller things.

First, I installed my new steering wheel . I'm really not a big fan of the stock steering wheels, especially with the hydro assist. I picked up a 13" Grant wheel and adapter. The last truck had a 11" wheel, which was way too small, this one feels perfect. It really give's a whole new feel to driving the truck.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking good! I figured you were almost done with this and it got me to thinking about how sad you are going to be when you have nothing to wrench on or modify. So, with deep concern for you and your well being, I went out and bought a 4runner that I'd be willing to give you for yours. No no I don't want any thanks I just want to be sure you're happy.

Where do you want to meet to do the trade?

Just kidding. Keep up with the updates and pictures!!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Next up was finishing the tranmission controller. I left off with everything mounted, but still needing to wire the transmission up to the controller. I spent some time going through my FSM and found which wires control the solenoids.

The three wires on the right are what controls the shift solenoids. While I'm sure that there are differances between differant years, I found that for my 86 4Runner the following.

Yellow - Torque Converter
White - Sol. 1
Black w/ Yellow - Sol. 2

I then cut the wires, extended both sides and started wiring up the switch.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM

After moving some wires around, moving some other wires around and overall fighting with the thing for a while I got got everything in place and mounted. I left the middle center console section out because the twin sticks for the t-case will be in that general area.

Then I took the thing for a drive and found the controller works really well. I don't think it would be very practical for using all the time / everyday, but on the trail and going over steep mountain passes it should be awesome. It's so nice to control the shifting and TC lock up. If you are going to install this make sure to take the time and wire up a TC switch, you can really feel a differance turning it on/off. While the contoller worked well, I had two of the LED's stop working I checked the wiring the best I could (without tearing the thing all the way apart) and I think it's the LED's, not the wiring.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM

Then I moved on to a couple little things that have been bothering me for a while. First was the broken door lock switch, it didn't seem like a big deal when it was stock but after the SAS it's a pain to jump up into the cab to unlock the pass. side door. Since it's pretty much impossible to find used Turbo SR5 parts I decided to modify what I had. I got a universal power window switch and did some more research in the FSM.

Brown w/ white - Lock
Pink w/ white - Unlock
White w/ black - Ground

Connect the Lock/Unlock wires to the ground and it works!

I mounted the switch in the corner of the map pocket, it's easy to reach down and hit it or push it when your out of the truck

Last edited by DIRTCO; 02-07-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 PM

While I had the door apart I decided to try and fix the window regulator. I knew that the teeth were stripped out, it wouldn't close very well and would fall about a 1/4 inch as you were driving.

This is what I found

I used the the welder to build up some metal, then hit it with the grinder and Dremel tool. I really didn't think this was going to work, but after looking at the finnished product I had a little hope.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM

I re-installed everything and tested the window out, it works just like new

I don't really know how long it will last, but it took me less than an hour so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Looking good! I figured you were almost done with this and it got me to thinking about how sad you are going to be when you have nothing to wrench on or modify. So, with deep concern for you and your well being, I went out and bought a 4runner that I'd be willing to give you for yours. No no I don't want any thanks I just want to be sure you're happy.

Where do you want to meet to do the trade?

Just kidding. Keep up with the updates and pictures!!!!!

That's funny! I was just thinking today that once I pretty much finnish the Turbo 4Runner that I'm going to have to start some kind of another project. I've gotten so used to building rigs that I don't know what I would do if there was nothing to really do on the rig, I think I might have to start planning the next project soon. Maybe a old school VW or rally car
Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I might have to start planning the next project soon. Maybe a old school VW or rally car
If I had your skills I'd start looking for an old car to build as a rat rod but not with all that "ready to fail" fab crap that so many of them have. I've seen some scary rats at some of the shows, no front brakes, no seat belts, funky chicken poop welds on the spring hangers etc.......

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread