86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well iv probably said it like three times already but ill say it again, awesome build man. its nice to see someone actually take the time to fix the little stuff that most people wouldnt care about. i guess mainly its nice to see some one try to preserve and fix a rare 1st gen, but yet make it a VERY capable wheeler. i always get people asking me why do you worry about keeping your interior clean or why are you waxing a 4x4.. why dont you cut the fenders and throw some 42s on it , or my favorite "dude why dont you ditch thoes ghey 80s graffics" lol and im like beacause, this is my wheel on sunday and work on monday truck and sence i dont forsee my self buying a new vehicle any time soon, so i want to keep this as close to new as i can get it. but sure if im out and i tag a tree with it or scrape some rocks then ya i probably will cut into it or bob it.. but for now its just a piece of 80s nostailgia.

and ya DONT take off the "AUTOMATIC" decal off the tailgate, thats just plain awesome IMO
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
If I had your skills I'd start looking for an old car to build as a rat rod but not with all that "ready to fail" fab crap that so many of them have. I've seen some scary rats at some of the shows, no front brakes, no seat belts, funky chicken poop welds on the spring hangers etc.......

Just a thought.
A rat rod would be cool, I'll just have to wait until the 4Runner is almost done and see if something comes along for cheap. I really don't want to dump a bunch of money in another project, I just like having something I can mess with. The two key things are cheap and not being rushed, other than that I really don't care too much.

Edit - An old beat up slammed 50's pick-up would be pretty cool. Who ha ha!

(I really wanted to use the Dr. Evil smilie )

Last edited by DIRTCO; 02-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
It depends on who makes the shock, most the nice higher end shock mount the way you are talking about with shock body above the shaft. These are some cheap Skyjackers and were designed to mount the other way. I will be replacing these with some nicer shocks later.
Thanks. Good to know, especially since I'm running cheap skyjackers also. Nice build
Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
well iv probably said it like three times already but ill say it again, awesome build man. its nice to see someone actually take the time to fix the little stuff that most people wouldnt care about. i guess mainly its nice to see some one try to preserve and fix a rare 1st gen, but yet make it a VERY capable wheeler. i always get people asking me why do you worry about keeping your interior clean or why are you waxing a 4x4.. why dont you cut the fenders and throw some 42s on it , or my favorite "dude why dont you ditch thoes ghey 80s graffics" lol and im like beacause, this is my wheel on sunday and work on monday truck and sence i dont forsee my self buying a new vehicle any time soon, so i want to keep this as close to new as i can get it. but sure if im out and i tag a tree with it or scrape some rocks then ya i probably will cut into it or bob it.. but for now its just a piece of 80s nostailgia.

and ya DONT take off the "AUTOMATIC" decal off the tailgate, thats just plain awesome IMO
First of all thanks, it's good to see that people are finding this thread usefull and getting idea's for their own projects. That's the whole reason why I started it.

Second, your comment nailed the whole build . It's all about keeping the essence of the Turbo 4Runner, while building a capable rig. For example, it would have been alot easier and cheaper to convert the thing to a 5 speed manual, but keeping the auto (and making it work) really keeps the essence of it, and the cool factor.

This is my only vehicle (and like you) I like to take pride in keeping it clean and in good working order. Just because it's 23 years old doesn't mean it has to look like it. I had a hard time deciding whether I should build the 4Runner or keep it stock, but I decided that I could combine the two ideas and build a "luxury Crawler". It might get some scratches and possibly some dents but the same thing could happen at the supermarket, at least I will be enjoying it.

And yes, the "AUTOMATIC" decal is staying, along with the "ghey 80s graffics". I might even get some shiny new ones
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM

I spent a couple hours in the shop today, just wrapping up some smaller details. I wanted to finish bracing the front spring hanger, along with adding some bracing to the rear shock mounts.

I started with the front and some scrap steel/tubing, it's not fancy but it get's the job done.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:10 PM

I also started bracing the rear shock mounts, I plan on adding more tubing later.

I plan on adding some more tubing to the rear bumper, along with the stock crossmember. Here are a crappy paint picture to show what I mean.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM

That's funny! I was just thinking today that once I pretty much finnish the Turbo 4Runner that I'm going to have to start some kind of another project. I've gotten so used to building rigs that I don't know what I would do if there was nothing to really do on the rig, I think I might have to start planning the next project soon. Maybe a old school VW or rally car
I'll send my 4Runner up, you can finish it for me before spring rolls around, thanks for offering to finish my project
Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Volcom
I'll send my 4Runner up, you can finish it for me before spring rolls around, thanks for offering to finish my project
Won't work..... I tried it.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Well, I have to finish the Turbo 4Runner first and help Tim get his rig up and going. So I guess your on your own for a while . What all do you have left on your 4Runner? I thought it was pretty much set, except for bumpers and a cage.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Won't work..... I tried it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that no matter what bumper you have, if you hit a deer at 70 in an 80's Toyota it's going to be totalled. You would pretty much have to have a full race chasis added to the frame to even think about keeping it in one piece.
I hate to dig up old posts, but this is totally wrong. If you have the right bumper. I hit a deer at 65-70mph in mid-November. My bumper (very similar to the ones ScottyC makes) tweaked back about an inch on the passenger side where the deer hit. I cut the deer in half. Part of it swung around and hit the back of my front fender. Look at the chrome trim. You can just barely see it. And the impact on the tire bent my tie rod. Look at the third picture down.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-home-166280/

Last edited by Skinsfan6; 02-09-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
I hate to dig up old posts, but this is totally wrong. If you have the right bumper. I hit a deer at 65-70mph in mid-November. My bumper (very similar to the ones ScottyC makes) tweaked back about an inch on the passenger side where the deer hit. I cut the deer in half. Part of it swung around and hit the back of my front fender. Look at the chrome trim. You can just barely see it. And the impact on the tire bent my tie rod. Look at the third picture down.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...g-home-166280/
First of all I'm glad that your okay and that the truck didn't get too damaged.

Second, you obviously didn't read my entire post, or get a thing I was saying . I was refering to the fact that there are many differant factors involved with "hitting a deer" or any accident for that matter. Just because you hit a deer and got minor damage, does not mean that everyone with an aftermarket bumper would have the same luck. People DIE bcause of hitting deer/elk and I'm not going to tell someone I've never met before, on the internet that just because he has a fancy bumper he's safe to mow down a deer at 70 mph. The size of the deer, the speed you hit the deer (NOT how fast you were going before you hit the brakes) and where you hit the deer (deer and vehicle wise) make a huge differance in the outcome of you, the deer and your vehicle. Do you really think you can can hit a male, 250 lb deer head on (middle of vehicle) pinned at 70 mph (no brakes) and that the vehicle is going to be fine, I call BS. Also remember that a mid-80's Toyota truck only blue books at a couple thousand dollars (if your lucky), even a moderate amount of "minor" damage and the insurance company is going to "total" the vehicle.

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
did you ever end up bending your front bumper on your old 4runner...just wondering..it looks fairly strong..just wanted to know for sure..im lookin at a BUNCH of different designs..to make my own eventually..just wanna make sure i make it strong enough to take a deer at 70mph.. and not total the truck..(would be a bad sight though)..i want it to be able to withstand just about anything i can trow at it..like a Road Armor bumper..(but not that GAWDY..lol)
I'm pretty sure that no matter what bumper you have, if you hit a deer at 70 in an 80's Toyota it's going to be totalled. You would pretty much have to have a full race chasis added to the frame to even think about keeping it in one piece.

My bumper was pretty strong for what it was. I had it tied into the front of the frame/spring hanger in 7 spots, along with the fender bars, shock hoops and even the main tub of the body. On the trails the bumper did a great job of protecting the engine bay, headlights, grille, etc; but it was never made for a super hard impact. Even if you used high quality DOM (or chromoly), the weak area is going to be the frame. The bumper might still be fairly straight, but something have to give and I'm guessing that would be the frame. If it was a slower hit, on a smaller deer, a bumper like mine would do a good job of protecting the front sheet metal from damage.

While we are on the subject of destruction ...

Cory found a couple pictures he took of me in Carnage. This is what led to me retiring the last 4Runner and building this one! There's not a whole lot of pictures, and the quality is not the best, but it gives you a good idea of what the truck went through. This lasted a good ten to fifteen minutes (maybe more) before I finally got out of it. I was able to drive out of every flop and land back on my wheels!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

I was by no means trying to start an argument with you. I was just saying that saying any mid-80s yota hitting a deer at 70 is toast is not completely true. Just throwing a little personal experience in there. Nor was I arguing that my experience would be the same with a 250 lb 10 pointer in the center of the vehicle that could also decide to jump up and go through my windshield. I was paying attention to what you were saying. My only point is that recommending a solid bumper to the guy that would help him at 70mph deer collisions is not a completely pointless action. The bumper will only help. I am not saying that you have to act like an athlete endorsing a certain bumper saying it will keep your truck from being totalled in this collision. After all, I think camo knows information he gets on an online forum is just an opinion from a fellow enthusiast. Nobody will be held accountable or sued for saying I think this bumper will greatly help your truck to withstand an impact.

Back to normal conversation...great pics. I greatly admiring you for tackling trails like that. Those kinds of angles would have me wearing adult diapers. Was your inclinometer pinned at 30*?

P.S. - I hit my deer at 65-70 miles per hour accelerating in 4th gear (4.10s with 33s). All I saw of the deer was like a camera flash of it jumping in front of me. I had no time to let off the throttle or push in the clutch or brakes. It was quite an impact. It jerked my 4Runner into the ditch on the right side of the road. I carefully rode it out of the ditch and was lucky enough to be right at the end of my lane. My dad met me in his truck and we rode back to find the two halves of the deer on opposite sides of the road.

Last edited by Skinsfan6; 02-11-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM

You are making that little turbo 4 runner into a beautiful machine! I have really enjoyed seeing it come together. You do amazing work & not only is your welding & fabrication awesome but you manage to keep everything nice & clean right down to the small stuff.

Great job!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 AM

I love it. I love it. I love it. Great build up. I'm loving all the little touches you do. Those seem to hold my interest a little more for some reason . You make peeling tape off the desk at work fun!!! I can just sit here and scroll through you thread and pick at the tape with the other hand. And before I know it, all the tape it gone .

Keep all the pics coming!!! And hurry up and get it done (but not too fast) so we can see your next project. I say get something really rare that pretty much no one has and no one really likes, and do that
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
I was by no means trying to start an argument with you. I was just saying that saying any mid-80s yota hitting a deer at 70 is toast is not completely true. Just throwing a little personal experience in there. Nor was I arguing that my experience would be the same with a 250 lb 10 pointer in the center of the vehicle that could also decide to jump up and go through my windshield. I was paying attention to what you were saying. My only point is that recommending a solid bumper to the guy that would help him at 70mph deer collisions is not a completely pointless action. The bumper will only help. I am not saying that you have to act like an athlete endorsing a certain bumper saying it will keep your truck from being totalled in this collision. After all, I think camo knows information he gets on an online forum is just an opinion from a fellow enthusiast. Nobody will be held accountable or sued for saying I think this bumper will greatly help your truck to withstand an impact.

Back to normal conversation...great pics. I greatly admiring you for tackling trails like that. Those kinds of angles would have me wearing adult diapers. Was your inclinometer pinned at 30*?

P.S. - I hit my deer at 65-70 miles per hour accelerating in 4th gear (4.10s with 33s). All I saw of the deer was like a camera flash of it jumping in front of me. I had no time to let off the throttle or push in the clutch or brakes. It was quite an impact. It jerked my 4Runner into the ditch on the right side of the road. I carefully rode it out of the ditch and was lucky enough to be right at the end of my lane. My dad met me in his truck and we rode back to find the two halves of the deer on opposite sides of the road.
I wasn't trying to start an aurgument. I just didn't want some kid to read this, think he could weld the school's bike rack on the front of his truck, during 3rd semister Intro to Welding class and tag whatever he wants (that's not a joke, a couple years ago some kid with a Ranger did this ). Like I said, an aftermarket or custom bumper is DEFINATLY going to help your odds, but there's too many variables to say that you and vehicle will be safe and unhurt in the event.

Back to the fun stuff, I was way past 90* but I never looked at the tilt-o-meter. I was a little caught up in figuring out how I was going to drive thing out of the hole I was in and home after this mess . I've always wanted to file the stops inside so the thing could go all the way upside down!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by turborich
You are making that little turbo 4 runner into a beautiful machine! I have really enjoyed seeing it come together. You do amazing work & not only is your welding & fabrication awesome but you manage to keep everything nice & clean right down to the small stuff.

Great job!!!
Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
I love it. I love it. I love it. Great build up. I'm loving all the little touches you do. Those seem to hold my interest a little more for some reason . You make peeling tape off the desk at work fun!!! I can just sit here and scroll through you thread and pick at the tape with the other hand. And before I know it, all the tape it gone .

Keep all the pics coming!!! And hurry up and get it done (but not too fast) so we can see your next project. I say get something really rare that pretty much no one has and no one really likes, and do that
Thanks guys! This isn't the first Toyota I've built, the first one was pretty hack and the last 4Runner got everything changed at least a few times. Towards the end of the green truck a lot of things were bothering me, the wiring was a mess from adding and removing stuff, along with several other things. If I trailered it to the trail it wouldn't have bothered me much, but driving to the trail and around town comfortably requires a certain amount of compromise. I really want to build this truck right/clean the first time and not have to worry about changing things around in the near future. I also want everything to complement the vehicle, not take away from the overall charcter of it.

As for the next project, I really don't know. After some thought, I've realized that I really can't afford another project. If something comes along then who knows but I won't be looking for another vehicle. I have been thinking about building a camping trailer though, I can get the whole rear section of a Toyota truck for free (including the frame section, bed, axle and suspension). I think that's something I could build for super cheap and wouldn't have to worry about much of a time line to finish it. I don't know, I'm always thinking about random things to build .
Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

I forgot to bring my camera to the shop this last weekend but I got a few more things done to the 4Runner

I've had my old CD player for around eight years (or more) and I think it only played CD's for the first year. It got too much dust / vibration and over time it wouldn't read or eject the CD's. Also, CD's are a complete PITA, especialy when your wheeling. I ended up getting a Sirius unit around 4 or 5 years ago and really loved it, but it's also nice to listen to your favorite songs when you want.

A few weeks ago my Sirius unit finally gave up the ghost and it came time to order up a new one, after I ordered a new one I started thinking about my old crappy head unit. Since I also had a turbo timer and CB that needed to be installed, it seemed like a good time to upgrade. I picked up a new Alpine unit that works well with an Ipod (once I get one ) but it also works great with a USB memory stick. The red switch under the E-brake is for turning off the fan for water crossings, I wanted it easy to get to.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 PM

NICE.. i was going to ask if you were going to put a timer on it. i really like that alpine also, thinking about geting one this summer. iv played with the one my buddies girlfriend has in her jetta.. its pretty cool, im sure once you get a ipod you will like it more. i have a older alpine (6 or 7 years old) with a aux. interface cable for my ipod... its a real pain in the arse to try and dig the ipod out of the console and try and change songs or pause it while driving.. not to mention it doesnt charge it so eventually it dies.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

That is the same head unit I want to install in my truck, but I also need to get speakers and the like.

Nice install, do you have the Turbo Timer hooked up to the parking brake?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM

wow, amazing buildup, 20 pages is a lot to go through, but AMAZING build up. Man, to little to late, but i was going to suggest a down pipe off the muffler.... but i have an obsession with down pipes... Anyways, probably a dumb question, but are exo skeletons street legal?? If so i had been thinking about how to make a removable exo. You would just need plates at sections to be bolted together, and then use something like totallystainless.com bolts (grade 8 stainless). Oh yeah, on the exhaust, are you going to put some high temp paint around those welds?? any time i fab up exhaust i always neglect to do that, and it ends up rusting... apart.. lol.. Unless i missed something, and its stainless??

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread