Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice progress!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Nice build!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 AM

Hi guys,

I have a trip coming up next month and only about 10 hours total over three days to get ready for it. I need to get my interior back together. Right now it's stripped down to metal.

Any suggestions for a temporary covering for the flooring to cut down on noise and for insulation?

My current plan is to get some foam and remnants and put it down with just very small amounts of tack here and there. Any ideas better than that? This is basically just to cut down on noise and heat for a week long trip with myself and two buddies backpacking. It doesn't really need to do anything more than that.

Last edited by diableri; 08-21-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 AM

So in preparation for a sierras trip I have coming up with a couple back packer buddies which includes a Whitney summit, I had to get some kind of insulation and carpet down. Got the front part of the truck in last week over a couple hours and my girlfriend was around to snap a couple pictures.

Nothing exciting but as I've had to do most of the other stuff on my own or through a mechanic, there hasn't been much to post in the way of photos. Here's my make shift temporary carpet and insulation.

Whole Truck Set on Flickr

Haven't had a chance to give the flooring a good cleaning and won't have time before the trip so had to come up with something cheap and temporary.

Had this laying around, so it's the winner for insulation.

It actually forms up quite easily and mashes down well. Spray adhesive from 3M handled the tacking duty.

The carpet was just a $30 home depot remnant they had that was gray. Typical indoor/outdoor stuff. It only has to last for a week.

I've decided I'm going to have some billet door jams made once the interior stage is going because the plastic versions just don't cut it. I'll have to weld in bolt threads instead of the plastic clip and screw system currently.

Definitely not pretty, but functional and MUCH cooler out here in the 100+ and at least half as loud as the bare metal everywhere.

Last edited by diableri; 09-04-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No pictures?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
No pictures?
Sorry, I had to do that wild Flickr editing thing to get them to show up here. Should be all done now.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Will be fixing my stuck in Brights light switch and rewiring my front turn signals next along with finishing up insulation and carpet in the back of course. Then will be time for my trip. After that, most likely on to the body work and rust repair/windshield replacement.

Last edited by diableri; 09-04-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Ha I just noticed that lol. Didnt help that I was trying to view everything off my phone yotatech app eother.

Great work on the carpet. That Home depot carpet is rhe same exact one I used on my truck! Woot glad to see some of my tips being used on your truck. I mean if that's wherr u got it from that is Ha haa. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-04-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 AM

carpet looks good though an good on the insulation
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Brights switch fixed. Spring and detent were missing. Corner lamps rewired. Ordered new pair (since they only sold them in pairs) from ebay since driver side was cracked up badly. Old ones are working now though after wiring fix.

New order was screwed up though. Seller shipped me the passenger side only from the pair I ordered because they didn't have the driver side in stock and never asked if I wanted to cancel the whole order, just shipped the passenger side. Now I still need to find the driver side because they said they didn't know if they would get a driver side back in stock, ever. The great part is that they just re-listed the pair again...

Anyway, little bit of progress is still good! Just need to locate that busted up light.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM

heres a few on ebay Diab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Side-...2df170&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-E-TOYOTA-P...bf601e&vxp=mtr

also they have full clear an half clear / amber (tywan) but that one has a dual bulb that ya could hook up the orange side to the turn signal for dual flashing

just ideas
Old 09-09-2013, 05:40 PM

I just read through your thread again. man your truck was in just as bad shape as mine was haha. I love reading beginning parts of threads shows how bad they started out with lol I also have to jump on some light covers. But i need them for my rear. out of all the replacements that is the mod that i have lagged it the most on lol!

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
heres a few on ebay Diab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Driver-Side-...2df170&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-E-TOYOTA-P...bf601e&vxp=mtr

also they have full clear an half clear / amber (tywan) but that one has a dual bulb that ya could hook up the orange side to the turn signal for dual flashing

just ideas
Thanks Dragon!

As soon as the passenger gets here (another day or two they said), I'll check it out and make sure it's OK and then see about ordering the driver side to match it if I can. Might as well keep it and make sure I can match it up with a driver.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I just read through your thread again. man your truck was in just as bad shape as mine was haha. I love reading beginning parts of threads shows how bad they started out with lol I also have to jump on some light covers. But i need them for my rear. out of all the replacements that is the mod that i have lagged it the most on lol!
Haha yeah, old girl was definitely used and abused. I was REALLY close to buying Jason's from him when I went down to get some parts from him but I had already "bonded" or whatever that weird thing that happens to people and their vehicles. You know, that thing that causes us to waste tremendous amounts of money and time in them? I had kinda committed to bringing her back from the brink.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i havent been on here much. just found your page. looks like your of to a good start getting all the maintenance work done 1st. i would highly suggest getting a basic alarm system and a kill switch or two. these older toyota are extremely easy to steal. if you dont have time for this and you dont drive it much, i would pull the main coil wire and a relay/fuse just in case.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i havent been on here much. just found your page. looks like your of to a good start getting all the maintenance work done 1st. i would highly suggest getting a basic alarm system and a kill switch or two. these older toyota are extremely easy to steal. if you dont have time for this and you dont drive it much, i would pull the main coil wire and a relay/fuse just in case.
Yep, it's on the list before any kind of real driving along with a serious electrical system upgrade. Unfortunately when I started looking into the wiring for the front turn signals... well rat's nest wouldn't even start to explain what someone had started to do with the wiring on this poor truck. It looks like what you would expect to find if someone wanted to wire trailer lights up about every four feet from grill to the firewall and only had toenail clippers, twisty ties and paperclips to work with.

There's no way I'm going to add anything electrical to this vehicle until I get most of this stuff replaced with more appropriate wiring.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Jeez thanks for that reminder. I havent installed any kill switches yet. I would be devastated if my rig went missing. I should buy some of those police wheel locks for when you park in tow away zones lol
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a pager alarm and club lock as a visual/sound deterrent.
along with other methods i learned over the years i really cant say
Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Hey Jerod, Just checking up oh your thread i noticed there hasnt been any updates for about 3 months now. What's the new?

Quick Reply: diableri's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread