86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

D-Rock's 1989 4Runner build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrenchtech
How are the Workhorse studded tires workin' for ya? And what about those 3rd gen wheels? I think they have about 5.25" of backspacing, which is about 1/2" -3/4" more than a stock wheel for your model. They sure look good on yer rig though.

Did you go over McClure's and through Paonia?
When I bought the truck it came with those wheels on it. I didn't know what the backspacing was compared to original. I've had no problem with them. I looked all over locally trying to find a set of wheels to put snow tires on and couldn't find much so when I saw those 3rd gen wheels at yodajim's I just got em because I knew they'd fit. They don't rub or anything and I have a set of 31x10.50 tires on the other set of wheels that are also fine. I'm on the fence as far as spacers on concerned. I'd like to widen the stance a little but I may just wait til I can get some other wheels.

No, McClure pass takes you over to hotchkiss/delta... we were heading east so we went through Minturn/Tennessee Pass/Leadville to get to Poncha Springs then up to Monarch.

Oh, and the Workhorse tires have been good too. The weekend was a snowy damn drive and I never even came close to losing traction. They're a little stiff but that doesn't bother me.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by derockus
No, McClure pass takes you over to hotchkiss/delta... we were heading east so we went through Minturn/Tennessee Pass/Leadville to get to Poncha Springs then up to Monarch.
You're right, it would add 50 miles if you went through Paonia/Hotchkiss/Crawford/Gunnison. I've taken that route to Gunnison. It takes you right by the north rim of The Black Canyon of the Gunnison and then past Blue Mesa Res. Now if you went over McClures and the went east over Kebler Pass to Crested Butte it would be the same mileage as the route you took, but it would take an hour longer, and Kebler is usually closed in Winter.

Glad the Goodyear Workhorse tires are workin' for ya. The tread looks pretty knobby for a highway tire, which normally ain't the best setup for snow that's been packed and polished, the studs probably make up for that though. I bet they rip in deep snow though!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchtech
You're right, it would add 50 miles if you went through Paonia/Hotchkiss/Crawford/Gunnison. I've taken that route to Gunnison. It takes you right by the north rim of The Black Canyon of the Gunnison and then past Blue Mesa Res. Now if you went over McClures and the went east over Kebler Pass to Crested Butte it would be the same mileage as the route you took, but it would take an hour longer, and Kebler is usually closed in Winter.

Glad the Goodyear Workhorse tires are workin' for ya. The tread looks pretty knobby for a highway tire, which normally ain't the best setup for snow that's been packed and polished, the studs probably make up for that though. I bet they rip in deep snow though!
Yeah, plus we crashed the night in Poncha Springs. I do like taking that route to Gunni though. The Black Canyon is super badass. And Kebler is fully closed in winter, it's just a gravel road.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Threw on some kinda low end front shocks today. Gabriel brand, whatever was cheap on rockauto.

Swapped the winter studded snow tires for m/t summer tires. Here's the 235/75/15s on the rear and the 31x10.5x15s on the front for comparison.

Pretty big difference. Those tires ruled for snow and ice this winter though.

I also added 1/4" wheel spacers on all 4 tires. Those alloy rims I have don't have quite the same backspacing as stock and they were about 1/2" from the TREs. The 1/4" spacers don't get them all the way back out but it adds a little more width.

Before with the 235/75s

After with the 31s

Still plenty of lug nut thread

Last edited by derockus; 04-25-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 PM

Hopefully you can maintain that 19.5 MPG with them! Haha I like this thread!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Making me want a runner! Good job man.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 AM

Yeah, I don't know if 19.5 is gonna be possible. Had to put the tires on though cause we're going down to Moab this weekend!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the build thread. and a great pic of the engine removal.

I really like your idea of hard wiring the rear window with a switch relocation. Mine currently only operates from the tailgate key. Kind of a pain.

The new tires look great man. Has a nicer stance.

Have fun in Moab. My parents Live there. We try to make it out a few times a year to see them. I keep telling myself we are going to load the runner up head out but never find the time.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Love the build thread. and a great pic of the engine removal.

I really like your idea of hard wiring the rear window with a switch relocation. Mine currently only operates from the tailgate key. Kind of a pain.

The new tires look great man. Has a nicer stance.

Have fun in Moab. My parents Live there. We try to make it out a few times a year to see them. I keep telling myself we are going to load the runner up head out but never find the time.
Hey thanks. The rear window has been working great hard-wired like that. I don't miss the tailgate key, its just as easy to unlock the door and roll it down from the cab.

Yeah, Moab is always a fun trip. Probably won't do much wheeling, mostly going to camp and mountain bike. We're gonna ride Amasa Back on saturday.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Pics

Trip to Moab... camped out at Dinosaur Tracks near Klondike Bluffs with my wife

Top off, summmma time

Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Love it. You got the bikes, the runner, the wife all there...looks like some good times.