86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Omg! Nice bro! Did you finally find yourself a 1st gen? Lol how much for that overhead light? Mines broken and missing the light cover lol. Nah jk its cool that's the least of my problems atm. Glad you got some great finds man.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Mark, just got back home, now that i have a steady cellphone signal, just trying to get caught up on your thread! Looks like you and Richard had a blast on your latest trip! Richard did a awesome job on putting together the video! Nice score on the parts, it never hurts to have spares, lol. Sux that they cut up the wiring, I hate it whenever they do that, Grrrr!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Not sure on which inmate crews are working out there, haven't made it off the helibase yet. I've seen some of their rigs going by on the way down to Azusa, though.

And to finally add a little bit of tech to your build, I think I'm in agreement with you on thinking charcoal canister or something of the like. Any time I've had an engine do that sort of idle/miss kind of thing while warm/hot, it's been vacuum related in some way.
Yeah, ...and hey, they're getting a deal/opportunity to get OUTSIDE/have FAR less nightmares than they would at Chino with a smaller sentence.... and they can get a shorter time if they produce! VERY HARD work that they do, daily.... but personally, I think it'd be worth it to stay out of a CA STATE PRISON! They come by the campgrounds and clean up and do clearings, etc..... Always one guy who works his way to us and asks for a "cig or something?"..... That's the guy who WILL NOT LAST! lol... First, cuz he's a TOTAL INGRATE for being out of the 'box'! 2, because he's going to get rolled up and sent back to Chino or Tehachapi or WHEREVER he was GOING to go, ..... all for a Cigarette? NOT BRIGHT! lol.

Yeah, Something is going on over there with that hissing. NOT sure if it's vacuum or some kind of backpressure at the tank.... I still haven't grabbed a fuel tank cap.... It passed at smog just in May... BUT, doesn't mean it wasn't about to go. It's the Japanese Toyota writing on the Cap, so I KNOW it's Toyota... BUT, he had to do the test twice... Not sure if it was him or my cap or system in general. Bottom line, the Charcoal can has a return line to the tank, RIGHT? It's not supposed to RECEIVE fuel through certain ports... Only in the proper one and OUT the return line? So I am just curious if it's pressure that's hissy-bubbling it's way out of one of the hose clamps or hose-to-'Tee' spots.

Telling you, Jonny... I CAN NOT, for the life of me, find a vacuum leak, even unloading a half can of 70% Ether Starter Fluid all over the place... INCLUDING into the Idle/Air Adjustment Screw... I can BATHE it in starter fluid, .....it wont idle up. I might try shrink wrapping my hard plastic hose portion of the Air Intake(the Tube)... But the end rubber pieces are new...Well, sorry, the TBody side one is new.. The outer one is not.. But it's tight. SMOKE TEST TIME, maybe? lol. Plus, seal up the Charcoal Can(That was gone from the Pick-Your-Part travesty too).

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Omg! Nice bro! Did you finally find yourself a 1st gen? Lol how much for that overhead light? Mines broken and missing the light cover lol. Nah jk its cool that's the least of my problems atm. Glad you got some great finds man.
Dome Light? Or Map Light? If you mean Dome Light, I will grab one next time there if it's in a 2nd Gen.. But you have to BARELY mod the slot where it goes... The bolt holes are the same, but 2nd Gen Dome kit is slightly longer, needs a lil cut and bend back... VOILA! Not sure I have a GOOD lens for this one I have now... BUT, it's decent. I also have grabbed that Inclinometer Mounting Bracket... Not positive, but you'll probably need that, Richard, if you grab an inclinometer. I have to check back in my saved PM's... ppl have asked for stuff.. Gotta see who asked for that first. I KNOW you wanted an inclinometer... I just have to be fair, right?

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hey Mark, just got back home, now that i have a steady cellphone signal, just trying to get caught up on your thread! Looks like you and Richard had a blast on your latest trip! Richard did a awesome job on putting together the video! Nice score on the parts, it never hurts to have spares, lol. Sux that they cut up the wiring, I hate it whenever they do that, Grrrr!!!
DUDE, I'm not kidding, I was FURIOUS! I mean, lots of other stuff going on in my life that adds to that... but I'm tellin ya, Brudda.... I WAS STEAMING! All they had to do was take it off the clip! Says alot about Society, man! ENTITLED-INGRATES WITH NO RESPECT for someone elses property... Something that could REALLY HELP SOMEONE OUT! Not even convenience things.. I'm talking guys that are nearly gonna break down or have, who are on the VERGE OF A NERVOUS breakdown... totally broke, lost their job, whatever.... IT COULD REALLY HELP THEM! >> To pass smog, get it running, WHATEVER! But NO! I'M TELLING YOU, there's a group that is the ones that just come for the Third Members and to resell parts on Ebay/CL... NO CLUE what's up with this group that is primarily hogging all the 3rd members and dropping the axles on the ground, CUTTING OUT things that they just need to borrow a wrench for, POPPING PERFECTLY GOOD TIRES!....etc... But THEY'VE RUINED THESE YARDS! PERIOD!

Something I notice, too..... PLENTY OF 2ND GENS on the lots, ALWAYS.... NEVER 1st Gens... So to see it RAPED of all it's former dignity like that? hahaha...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you had a nice score on parts. Those electric antennas are hard to find. I have one but dont know if it works. Something I eventually want to add to mine. Gla to hear that the dashpad in the boneyard wasnt so bad for you to get loose. It is easy once you learn a few steps on it.

I get so frustrated at what people do to the ones in the boneyard. Others might need parts too and that probably never crosses their little minds. It even surprises me on classics at what is done to them. A few years ago I seen a fastback 71 Mustang in the boneyard that I had considered fixing, but after what I had seen done to the dash and other areas, I had to pass on it. Getting the parts or buying them aftermarket would of driven the cost so high, I could of never gotten my money back out of it. Idiots.

Look at some of the newer cars on the road, it amazes me what they pay for them and most are junk within a few years. I have had my 01 Runner for 7 years or so and it is in about the same shape as when I bought it. How many others would of gone thru 3 or 4 cars by that time? I wonder if they realize what they have spent on just cars alone.

My dad as asked why I dont get a new car or truck. I have had 2 new one in the past and frankly I am beyond of keeping up wth the Joneses. The most I have in to one of my project trucks has been Mistys and I got $3300 into it and that includes 2 parts trucks. I cant buy a good used truck for that and some of that cost wasnt necessary. It has been on some really long runs and never a problem. Do want cruise control though, Grr...

I am going to get off of my soap box about what they do in the yards when some parts are so hard to find. I always need that odd ball part that some one has destroyed. Welcome to my world on the cut wires. The dizzy came off of my 85 and it was used for parts. So maybe they needed the plug. But from some of the other things I have fixed, I doubt it.

Cyberhorn was asking about using a 2nd gen maplight in a first gen. I sent him some pics of the differences in between the two. Are the an easy upgrade? I like the 2nd gens maplights better anyways.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM

OHHHHH, I thought you said "DOME" light on your thread. My Map Lights work fine... not interested in swapping them, so I wouldn't know. But the dome lever broke off, like they do OFTEN! So I swapped in a 2nd Gen DOME LIGHT housing and lens. (i think the lens' swap over from either).... Far as the map light install.... I think those are a MUCH bigger hole up there.... I meant to get pics of the gutted/linerless 1st Gen to get an idea... and I have a 2nd Gen Maplight in my 'BOX' .... you can see it there^^ .
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark. If you like I can take a picture of my gutted cab roof. The PO of my truck removed it all so before I put a new liner in I can snap some photos if you like
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Bbrideau, please post the picture of your nekid roof! I think there's wiring up there lurking for the maplight upgrade...but not sure.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bbrideau
Mark. If you like I can take a picture of my gutted cab roof. The PO of my truck removed it all so before I put a new liner in I can snap some photos if you like
Yep, that would be cool... I know what it looks like by memory of just having looked at that gutted one....... But that does no good for those wanting to 'upgrade' the Maplight kit to the 2nd Gen stuff's... pretty sure it's the same connector on both. I'm sure the 2nd Gen one is a lil brighter, as well, but I can't be sure. The one in the box above that I have that is quite recessed.... I believe that's from a REAR lighting on a 2nd gen, can't be sure the year... But it has an on/off/door switch on it so that the light comes on with the back door open.... MUCH better idea than the 1st Gen application.. Which is that STUPID "Deck Light" addition.... CAN NOT for the life of me figure out what Toyota was/nt thinking on that one! lol. Cargo doors are in the way, I get it, and the 2nd Gens are HARD TOP ALL DAY... no removable factor... I get that they had WAY more options at that point... Just kinda wish they'd put one in the rear window wiper cover or something, ya know? SOMETHING THAT POINTS DOWN WHERE YOU NEED IT! lol.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Bbrideau, please post the picture of your nekid roof! I think there's wiring up there lurking for the maplight upgrade...but not sure.
HEY NERVO! ...long time no talky! How you been?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be checking into the 2nd gen domelight. Some reason never thought of it. I know the maplights are alot different in the mounting plates on the different generations.

As far as the cargo light, there has to be an easy way of mounting one in the wiper cover and extending the wires with a plug that detaches from the back like the washer and wiper plug does. One day I will get to that. One day... a ways off.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM

No pics of the truck today wife had the camera in her purse will snap some photos of my naked truck tomorrow, speaking of which i have a problem with my truck wondering if you have come across the same problem or similar problem, or anyone else that follows chefs buildup for that matter. the problem is in my build up thread which is in my signature.... HELP! I'm stumped
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 PM

PICK YOUR PART ...run 2.......

I know, I know... "WHYYYYYYYY? You'll only be driven mad by the disgusting nature of the YARD TROLLS!"....and that's true........ BUT, I might as well grab crap before they destroy it if I see it, right?????????

On the way there, I turned the corner on Blinn Ave and who do I see pulling up to the light? GREGO! Great meeting you in person, Grego... VERY class dude... And a VET, to boot (Thank you for your Service, Grego:Salute Smiley w/a 'HOOAH' thrown in for good measure!) hehehe.

We chatted in the lot........ (Rumor2 Phone pix, sorry! lol)...

He took off and I headed into the lot... I got a pic of the 88 4Runner the day before, and uploaded it today. You can't see, but they've cut the core support to get the motor out... Thrown the Condensor and Radiator on the ground and trampled on it. Tore out all the paneling, but most of it's still in the back, just destroyed, cut the dash, cut brake lines/AC lines/Fuel Lines and just endless damage to it! >>>>>>>>>

This was my Pull, today...

Yes, that's^^^^ ;

1. a 2nd Gen 4runner Map Light kit and mirror...
2. Antenna Button for in dash(for spare of if I fix this antenna and someone needs the button to do a Power OEM Antenna mod, ...something like that).
3. Hood/Fender Bushings for when you close the hood/along the fender
4. MANY fuses
5. Rear Window Relay #2
6. 2nd Gen Gauge Light Dimmer(thought I might be able to find someone who needs it/use it if the one I bought doesn't work)
7. The missing piece to the 4Way Switch from the heater control assembly I got
8. A spare Window Washer button/Cruise Control Knob in case my replacement fails(I replaced it on the thread cuz neither the wiper fluid nor cruise worked cuz that buttons pieces inside got all jacked up)...
9. A Upper Driver Side Door Hinge with BRAND NEW bushings TIGHT AS BRAND NEW! Wheeling, my replacement one took a dump on me... Door is bouncing even when shut and has some play in it again.. So I have to work on both sides.. but at least I have both hinges now, so I can just SHUT MY DOOR WITHOUT LIFTING IT UP FIRST! GRRR! lol
10. Spare "Clutch/Start Cancel button"
11. TOP MIDDLE; The Engine Bay Light I passed on the first time.... it's not blinding, but PLENTY for emergency work/light when hooking up stuff to battery, etc., while camping, so on.... I like it. Couldn't find any others in the yard in Silverado's or Suburbans or Jeeps, .... But not for lack of trying, lol.
12. And, ... the thing I'm really interested in.... It's a dome light from a Newer Mercedes/Rear Door-Over the Passenger Dome light, 12V-10W 40MM "Push in" bulb that LOOKS like a Festoon but isn't... it's just a carrier clip on each side... BUT, the thing I like is the size of the bulb.. This will allow me to try a 360Degree angle LED Bulb that I can use WAY less power with and get WAY more light from... I have some ideas for mounting it in the back... But we'll see.
13. Fuel pump Wiring/Connector that I think might work for Terry's Donor Dizzy ??? 2 wires, same type female side.. (EVERYTHING was cut off this thing, ask Grego, lol.... .Just so you know I didn't take out something someone could have used. Pump was gone, etc.

Total Coast, 33$... I raised hell, because at 5:45, 15 min. to closing, they tell me AT THE COUNTER, "OHHHH, sorry, no credit".... And I'm thinking... 'how many people are gonna come up here????? Oh wow'. hahaha... So I told her, ...."Lupe.... PLEASE, this is like the 3rd day in a month that I've been inconvenienced by you guys... The cashier not accounting for things that I then have to answer for and be hassled at the gate/exit for 5 minutes before getting out, FINALLY! ... Etc., etc., ... it's been depressing... not to mention the condition that these ANIMALS leave this crap in! Now I have to pay cash that I REALLY don't want to spend????" It got cut down quite a bit from 65$ to 33$ hehehe.... HEY, wouldn't you be kinda ticked? Who shuts down Credit system 15 minutes before closing??? 40 people walking up still? NUTS!

I think I made out well... NOT EVEN all that I wanted.. BUT, .... much of what I needed/can use, ya know?

Some pics from my phone................

My Neighbor got this CRAZY bike..> it's made in AZ by hand, 100%, and is carbon fiber and 2200CC's, etc....... Just thought I'd share that and his ISF(BTW, the black bike in the background is that new "fastest Street Bike in the World/New BMW".... ) >>>>>>

Shelby on the way home.......

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hood Prop Clip from www.lowrangeoffroad.com ...(Thanks, Terry, Cyberhorn-the-Dragon )

Dinner last night...... (MADNESS! 6 Hour Beef/Pork meat Sauce w/mushrooms and with Broiled Garlic and Parm-Reggie Bread ! )

I also had lunch with my beautiful Daughter, Kayla, the other day... and my mini-bb(I call Kayla "Big BB", lol)... my Granddaughter, too, Abbygail......

Had lunch and played, "I'MA GETCHU!" for a bit........

Then she suddenly played back and shot me the "Wutchu talkin bout, grampa?" look! hahaha>>>

I said, "YOU LISTEN' HERE, LIL MISSY!" .... and she paid close attention as i told her, ......... "Ok, gonna give you back to momma... Cuz your gettin near a hissy/sleepytime tantrum... I can see it coming"....

YEP, I was right... I know dat Baby Language! .... Then, I obviously did my job over that couple hours... Cuz she was GONE before hitting the seat..... which she HATES THAT SEAT! lol.....

That's it, thought I'd fill ya in! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-07-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I could find a 1st gen 4Runner at a local junkyard... Seems like all they have are 2WD pickups, but I guess that means that they are staying on the road instead of rotting away in a junk yard which I guess is a good thing

I would have never thought Low Range sold those clips... Gonna have to order me one!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Oh Damn, I missed out a ton of stuff on your thread. Damn, something is going up with the yotatech email system or something because I've been having to check peoples pages manually I get one email notification every 5 posts or so.
Mark, cute daughter and grand daughter. I like the serious face she had in one of those pix lol.
As far as the junk yard goes. I'm glad you were able to find some things. Hey BTW in that previous post i did I was talking about the dome light(the one directly above the arm rest) I have a complete map light on mine specific to my year. I just need to buy the bulbs for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Redeth, I think you're on to something. I sometimes get no notifications and sometimes get notifications for threads that are three days old and I've already read. No biggie. I do belong to a couple of other forums and this is the only one I get notifications from any way.

Chef, cute kids, both of them! I hope I'm about 10-15 years from grandhood. My 13 year old daughter is taking a class where she'll be bringing home one of those robot babies that cry if you don't feed/change them! Can't wait!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Nervo. I think I would rather deal with my kid having an electronic baby rather then dealing with a new one for 18+years lol. Who know maybe it'll scare her into not wanting any any time soon ha ha ha.
BTW Grego and mark any requests on what you guys would like me to look for? I'm going to hit up 4 junk yards today.

Last edited by Redeth005; 09-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the thought Richard. The only thing I have left to look for now, for my truck, are leather 2nd Gen 4runner seats. I've only seen them once but they were tore up. Of course I've said that about my camry and then I find this 25th anniversary edition in the yard that came with a factory option rear spoiler with 3rd brake light and headrests with specially embroidered anniversary logo ...had to grab them!

You might see me at the little wilmington yard AGAIN today. I have to bring a battery so I can move the electric seat folder to get the rear bolt out!!! on that camry.

Awesome family Mark! you look too young to be a grandfather!!! but all that means is more time to enjoy them!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM

I just wanna say.... Grego, good dude that he is....... tried to kill me with his truck today hahahahahaha. JK! Accidental 1st Gear Start, lol... Once again, LOVE your rig, Grego... thing is CLEAN as a whistle, as they say.... And THANKS, very much appreciate the 'family' comment... I love my girls and Grandchildren... THEY ROCK hahaha.

Richard..... Good seeing you again today, too. Can't wait til we can get a few more together for a weekend or something... but AT LEAST a day trip to the Angeles/Backside, right?

Nothing to report on MINE today.... just went and met Richard at the Pick-Your-Part to get the Gear Box out of a 90 2nd Gen 4Runner... Went fairly well.... just had to grab a puller from the dude outside.... 10$ I think he paid.... Had no choice, it was frozen in the steering arm WAY too solid... Grego and Richard will vouch for that, lol. Plus, he'll need the puller again to get his out, most likely... BUT, I DID try to hook him up with a rental from Autozone or o'reilly.... NONE of them had them in stock... People apparently are renting them and keeping them? had to wiggle with the angle a lil bit, but it popped right out... Hopefully it'll be a leak free girl for a bit! WOOT!

Richard... just a reminder... You wanna do it with impact tools and in my garage... THAT'S TOTALLY fine... Just lemme know when you're coming and I'll let you know if I can do it then. If you DON'T need to, let me know that as well, k? (DON'T FORGET THE FLARE WRENCH if you do come over... We need it, s'only one I gotz )

PS> Grego got a nice Candadian Anniversary Edition electric seat today for his CHERRY camry...and a couple "Embroidered" special headrests, too, the other day. Been pretty good scoring there the last few times for all of us, in spite of the CARNAGE that those MUTT'S leave in their wake. WAS I RIGHT, GUYS? >> Regarding how BAD that's getting?

PSS> Think I left behind a 19MM Deluxe Powerbuilt Ratcheting Open Closed end Wrench.... REALLY bummed on that, but who knows... MAYBE I'll find it laying under the floor mats. Usually, the yards clean those up in the morn... So once they see that wrench, I CAN'T SAY they wont hold it for whomever left it... but I doubt I'll ever see a Ratcheting 19MM again, ya know? Unfortunately, they don't sell them in single form, ... I don't think... I'll take a look see on the site, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Baby is too cute mark. I think she likes you more than her mom haha jk

Those bikes look sexy as ever!! 24 hours 7days a week. You name it, its still sexy looken!! Haha
Old 09-09-2012, 02:32 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Chef, it never ceases to amaze me how gorgeous your truck is... dont know if you found it that way, or you are just a detail freak, but its gorgeous...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You had a nice little score at the yard. Alot of parts were wasted on that runner. Just catching up as I got to do my weekend thing. The little tyke is growing quick. She loks to be a happy little camper.

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread