86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BuzzardsGottaEat 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully building some pretty nice bumpers this summer if I end up staying in Lincoln. Finally found someone to do some tube bending and welding for me.

This sees a variety of things, but dropping off of rocks is hard to do in the midwest. Flat. Except the rare trip to camp in the Black Hills or something, it mostly sees snow and mud or whatever random obstacles we can find
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM

That is one sweet truck! Awesome rim choice!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the compliment.

Here's something I've been working on tonight. Let me know any suggestions.

Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat
Starting with the Trail Gear Bumper as my original design, I have starting the drawing stages of the bumper I'd like to build here shortly.

I'm bringing the main bars in closer to the body, I don't like it sticking out so far. Re-designing the plate to hold a receiver hitch up top and my license plate on the bottom. Instead of the bar from the plate to the main bar being a straight shot I added some body (kind of like the addicted offroad bumper) and brought it outward and added a bend in it. Should make for a more square and solid look from the front. It also gives me more room to put some light tabs for fog lights in there as well as the ability to add a secondary bottom bar on the side wings, also adding more body to the overall appearance as well as one more bar something has to go through to get to me truck I hope to mount the blinkers in those little guys.

Please let me know what you guys think. I'm still in mock up stages and have never welded a bumper before so let me know if there is any advice or suggestions. Thanks :thumbsup:

Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Minor revisions, starting the rear soon.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM

New sticker = +30hp and +40tq according to butt dyno

New 22R-E sticker:

cleaning up nice

Next step up here is big bore throttle body and intake manifold (might get new TPS while I'm in there) fuel injectors, and probably a new cam, Pro or Pro torquer from LCE.

Thoughts on electric radiator fans? I don't cross water much but have a line on a new one and may or may not get it. Leaning towards no, now that I'm pushing a little extra power with some of these mods I don't think any difference it would have made to free up power (if any) will be noticable.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say Yes for the e-fan, it will help when that thing gets warm and the fan does that high speed thing that it does and sucks power, usually on a hill. That is what piss me off the most about the stock fan.
If you do it, you may want to think about upgrading your alternator while your at it, the e-fans suck up some juice.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Nice truck!

Buzzard,

Great looking truck! I also live in South Dakota. How far did you have to travel to get that gem? I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1988 4x4 5 speed base cab with a 22re. Lots of rust which I fixed. I currently have the engine pulled and have rebuilt it with a RV cam. I replaced my stock rims with 16 inch rims off of a 2000 4runner. I found it difficult to maintain 65-70 with a strong headwind. As you know, there always wind in South Dakota. I'm waiting on some auto meter gauges before I slide it back in. I have rebuilt a few V-8's in the past but really enjoy working on this 22re. I love the simple design and with the price of fuel it does not break the bank to drive it.

Kelly

Aberdeen, SD
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by toastyjosh
I would say Yes for the e-fan, it will help when that thing gets warm and the fan does that high speed thing that it does and sucks power, usually on a hill. That is what piss me off the most about the stock fan.
If you do it, you may want to think about upgrading your alternator while your at it, the e-fans suck up some juice.
Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by Kelly00127
Buzzard,

Great looking truck! I also live in South Dakota. How far did you have to travel to get that gem? I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1988 4x4 5 speed base cab with a 22re. Lots of rust which I fixed. I currently have the engine pulled and have rebuilt it with a RV cam. I replaced my stock rims with 16 inch rims off of a 2000 4runner. I found it difficult to maintain 65-70 with a strong headwind. As you know, there always wind in South Dakota. I'm waiting on some auto meter gauges before I slide it back in. I have rebuilt a few V-8's in the past but really enjoy working on this 22re. I love the simple design and with the price of fuel it does not break the bank to drive it.

Kelly

Aberdeen, SD
I'm actually originally from Aberdeen, SD. I live in Lincoln, NE now but visit back home a lot. I'll be home for 3.5 weeks for Christmas/New Years. Maybe we can check out the rigs.
Were those the 5 spoke wheels of a Runner. I'm looking for one for a spare.
I had this gem delivered from Greely, CO for free by the way.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm actually originally from Aberdeen, SD. I live in Lincoln, NE now but visit back home a lot. I'll be home for 3.5 weeks for Christmas/New Years. Maybe we can check out the rigs.
Were those the 5 spoke wheels of a Runner. I'm looking for one for a spare.
I had this gem delivered from Greely, CO for free by the way.

I'm hoping to finish putting the engine in when I take some time off for Christmas, maybe I will have it running. I think they are 5 spoke rims? I don't know. If I knew how to make my photos smaller, I would post some pictures, any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kelly00127
I'm hoping to finish putting the engine in when I take some time off for Christmas, maybe I will have it running. I think they are 5 spoke rims? I don't know. If I knew how to make my photos smaller, I would post some pictures, any help would be appreciated.
When you put the image code in, put a lower case L right before the .jpg. That will resize it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by thebeeler
When you put the image code in, put a lower case L right before the .jpg. That will resize it.

What image code? I hit attachments and browse for photos on my computer, but it does not ask for a image code. Sorry I fell behind the times as far as computers. I have to walked off the ledge. Step by step.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM

YT staff helped me out. Here are the rims I have. I have since painted the truck and it look so much better.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Ah, good 'ol Aberdeen. Nice truck, those aren't the wheels I was thinking of. . .
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Best place in the world to live....until winter sets in. Also, I have improved the truck, it looks nothing like the photo, I just have not gotten around to getting new photos.

Last edited by Kelly00127; 12-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Fancy high-tech speedometer

Too much driving through construction for the holidays. Didn't want a ticket for miscalculating in my head.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM

New stuff:
Just bought some junk for the truck. Installing tomorrow instead of studying

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Done:
Kenwood CD Player and (2) 4" speakers are in.

No more 7-8 hour drives in silence anymore
Old 12-20-2012, 05:42 PM

I'm in Aberdeen for a while. Wave if ya see the whip.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 AM

nice lookin truck man i like it.. and ur front bumper design looks pretty sweet u will have fun building it
Old 12-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Thank you sir. I've never welded (unless spot welding counts) before so whenever I get around to it I think I'll enjoy it.
It's a ways down my list though and I re-design things a lot in my head, so we'll see where things go by then.

Quick Reply: BuzzardsGottaEat 1993 Pickup