86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Bone Collector's 94 xcab 3.0 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I found out its hard to drive to work without a clutch. I couldn't get the truck in gear shortly after I left for work for this morning. I hope its a slave cylinder or a master cylinder. time will tell
Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM

A new slave cylinder and all is well. I found out that a slave cylinder Is much harder with the headers. I'm just glad its up and running
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM

It was a good weekend. I got the slave cylinder changed out Friday night. Then on Saturday I drove an hour to go pull a 22re out for a friend of mine. I got it out and loaded in about 2 hours. I also got some work done on the half doors. All in all a productive weekend. I need a few more of these
Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you got the clutch fixed and didn't get stranded! look forward to seeing some pics of the half doors when they're finished!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Ya me too. it is only a 10 minute drive home but it was scary enough driving to work that I didn't chance it driving home. luckily my work place has a car hauler trailer and let me use it. better safe than sorry.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM

A big thanks to all of our service men and women for their dedication and sacrifice
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM

truck threw an engine code of 25 tonight. which is lean condition or possible bad o2 sensor. so I am going to ask again, what wideband o2 sensor will work? just post me a link. I thought there was one for 150 that came with a gauge. can someone refresh my memory??
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you end up buying the wideband o2 kit? I have also been looking into one for my truck
Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 AM

I never bought the wideband kit. Money has been tight so the truck has been maintained as a way to get back and forth to work only. Not much off road fun either. Here soon I will get some work done to her.

I did buy a new set of Goodyear Duratrac tires and put them on the cruiser. I got a nail in the old set of tires on the cruiser and discount tire would not fix it because the tires were over 10yea old. So it was time for some new ones. I used my Christmas bonus to buy the tires.

Last edited by bone collector; 02-28-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet rig. Subbed. Great job on all the work. tryin to get mine going again
Old 07-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Guess who's back!!!!???!!!!

In a weird turn of events I had actually sold the truck and got it back. And now I have kids old enough to drive, so I need another vehicle. I have spent the last 2 weeks spending every waking moment working on my truck. It sat for almost 3 years so I have been trying to go through everything thing to make sure it is good. My daughter is going to drive the Cruiser, my wife is currently driving a 2005 Honda pilot, ( a great vehicle). So I am rebuilding the truck and painting it. The frame will need some rust repair, I have the low range frame plates on order and should be here on Tuesday. I will also need tires. I'm currently thinking 33 or 35. We shall see what I can find. Enough talking, on to some pictures.

Current state of the truck,. Paint is almost done 👍.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Santa and his big brown truck showed up today!!! Frame plates!! I also got some calipers and pads from advance auto as well. Now if it wasn't in the mid 90s when I get home from work I could do some work on this truck. But after working outside in the real feel temps of 100+ degrees I'm drained and dragging. Wish me luck...

Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM

I actually got some work done today on the truck. The driver side now has new upper and lower ball joints, CV shaft, outer tie rod end, caliper and pads. I also greased the manual hub. So that side should be ready to go.... I started to disassemble the passenger side and ran out of energy so it will be tackled tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bone collector
I actually got some work done today on the truck. The driver side now has new upper and lower ball joints, CV shaft, outer tie rod end, caliper and pads. I also greased the manual hub. So that side should be ready to go.... I started to disassemble the passenger side and ran out of energy so it will be tackled tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
Good work!

Be sure to replace the idler arm when you do the passengers side. I think it takes the brunt of the steering abuse, mine was totally shot
Old 07-09-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by magnet18
Good work!

Be sure to replace the idler arm when you do the passengers side. I think it takes the brunt of the steering abuse, mine was totally shot
I am planning on it. Let me know if you see any good deals on 33 inch tires in your area.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:42 PM

I got a lot accomplished in the passenger side of the truck tonight. New upper and lower ball joints, CV shaft, brake caliper and pads are all installed. Still need to do the outer TRE and idler arm but I ran out of daylight and energy. Tomorrow the plan is to finish the idler arm and TRE, then replace and inspect the rear brakes and start bleeding them. After that I plan to finish up some body work and paint. And then comes the frame......

After seeing the new pretty calipers my wife said they don't fit my truck and I should paint them...... Rust colored...

Old 07-11-2020, 08:32 PM

I finished the TRE and idler arm, started gravity bleeding the brakes and welded my body patch panel. I threw on some paint and was feeling pretty good. After I ate some lunch I started cleaning up the frame. And found this.....

At this point, I was feeling really upset. So I threw myself a 5 minute pitty party and then pulled up my big boy pants. I went out back and looked at the parts truck I had out back. And found this....

A gift from God! A near flawless frame waiting for me to use it. So I cranked the music and got to work. First order of business is to move the parts truck next to my truck. Which means towing it. Time for the 80 to shine. And shine it did, the driver (me) however did not. I carelessly tied and rope to the grill guard of the 80 and strapped it to the tow hook of the truck. And this happened....

Dumb mistake. After about 20 minutes of fighting the truck not turning ,I summoned my daughter to drive the 80 while I steered the parts truck with a crescent wrench on the steering shaft. We managed to park it next to my truck. Now the real work begins. I now have a month to perform a frame swap before school starts so my daughter can drive the 80, my wife will drive the Pilot and I get the truck (hopefully!!!). The only thing good on the parts truck is the frame. There is no transmission, the engine is all but seized and the cab is crushed. But I really need that frame!

So I started cleaning and cutting. I quit at 11 pm so the neighbors won't be a too upset. Here's how I left it for the night

At this point I went out back to play see guitar hero on the projector with my boys.

Tomorrow is another day
Wish me luck, I'm really going to need it

Last edited by bone collector; 07-12-2020 at 03:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (07-19-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 AM

I thought I would update my current costs of this resurrection. Parts I have ordered to date.

1 qt of Por-15 from Advance auto. $70
Calipers and pads from Advance. $130
1 battery from Walmart. $100
Frame reinforcement plates from Low Range $120
Paint $120

​so right now I'm about 500 dollars in. All of the ball joints and CV shaft etc I had sitting on the shelf. The frame I had out back. Some times it pays to be a well prepared country boy.

The whole reason for this resurrection is to try and rebuild this truck cheaper and better than buying a 2k car for my daughter and spending untold amounts of money to make it road worthy. So that's my goal. I would really like to spend less than 1500 all in but that may prove to be tough now. My next big expenses are going to be tires and body bushings. 4 crawler has bushings for 160 for new bushings blocks and hardware. I may go that route.

My next worry is fuel lines and brake lines. Do I scrap everything and buy new? Or take a chance? I will inspect them carefully when I get the body off.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (07-19-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
I've had jeep brake lines rust out on me on the highway, not once, but twice. Not fun

My .02, check the hardlines from your seemingly low rust parts truck to see of you can use them, and get new drop hoses
Old 07-13-2020, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by magnet18
I've had jeep brake lines rust out on me on the highway, not once, but twice. Not fun

My .02, check the hardlines from your seemingly low rust parts truck to see of you can use them, and get new drop hoses
Good thoughts. Thanks

Quick Reply: Bone Collector's 94 xcab 3.0 build thread