86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BigSwole's 90 4x4 Ext. Cab Pickup Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigSwole's 90 4x4 Ext. Cab Pickup Build

Gunna try and get this put together before i have to do too much at once.

1990 Toyota Pickup 22-RE 4x4 Ext. Cab Auto 160k

I was at a tournament one day when a buddy of mine and I started talking abou this lil toyota truck that was for sale by his house, he said it was 4x4 in good shape and all and he only wanted 250$, i was immediatly interested as i needed a hunting truck. we talked a lil more and he said he wasnt going to get it so we get back to town and we go check it out, it was rough looking but nothing too bad.

I talked to the owner and he was firm on 250$, ( i had to try and haggle him down, its my nature) but he stayed firm and i wanted to get it before anyone else showed up. so i forked over the 250$ and took it home, (btw, that price included a brand new battery with reciept)

I was told it may or may not have trans problems and it may or may not run...

This is what she looked like.

i know crappy pic but only one i have, started work immediatly the next day and forgot to take pix before i had it torn down.

***GOING TO KEEP THIS AS AN UPDATED PICTURE***

PROGRESS SO FAR

3" Body Lift -2011
35" Mud Tires -2011
Painted White -2011
Sr5 Cluster -2011
Roll Bar -2011
New brake master cylinder -9/2012
New Brake Booster -9/2012
New Rear wheel cylinder -9/2012
New Brake Shoes -9/2012
Drums Turned - 9/2012
New Tailgate Handle -9/2012
Denso O2 Sensor - yet to be installed
Pacesetter header - yet to be installed
Thrust Exhaust - yet to be installed
New bumper with valance - yet to be installed
New Fenders (2) -yet to be installed
New hood - yet to be installed
Fuel Tank Sending Unit -10/2012

TO DO LIST
New Corner lights
New Tail Lights
New Tail Gate
New Grille
HID's
High/Low Light Switch Repair
Rear Bumper
Sr5 Buckets
New windshield
Custom Speaker Box/Gun Rack
Console WITH CUPHOLDERS!!
Driver Ext. Door Handle & Lock
Passenger Side Interior Door Handle
Dash Clock
Towing Lights Re-Install

Last edited by BigSwole; 10-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM

First thing i did was put the battery in and try to get her to crank, had to tap on the starter a few times but it loosened up. Couldnt get it to fire even though i had spark. PO had just done a COMPLETE TUNE UP.

I dropped a lil gas in the intake and she fired right up, so next thing i did was pull the bed (which had a HUGE dent in the back) and drop the tank, i have never before seen that much rust in my entire life, everything was practically welded with rust.

That was as far as i made it as i couldnt buy any parts as i was in the process of getting married, and had to spend money elsewhere.

as soon as i got back from the honeymoon i went to work on my truck, first thing i seen was my exhaust hanging down, i didnt even look under the truck, i knew somone had stole my cat. Nothing like the sound of 100 hp under you lol

I went and bought a parts truck, 93 2wd std cab for 300$ I was able to use the bed, tailgate, few parts here and there, and the gas tank to fab up fo get my truck moving.

A lil jerry rigging i was able to get everything to run right and start really messing with it.

Here is the mis-matched paint.

i was moving so i took it to my in-laws for a lil bit, had to throw the cap back on

Notice the 4 mis-matched tires/rims they would only hold enough air to sit on, filled em up too much they leaked out lol. but they did hold air.

One tire was the spare off my old Z (shw her off later)
Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM

I originally bought my truck as a strictly hunting truck, something i could drive off a cliff and not worry about, so the cap came off. Couldnt have a dog box and a camping shell. One has to go.

Few hogs from before

Lil Brothers first time on some hogs with us

Nice sow we caught

in the horse trailer

we handcuff them and keep them alive...

anyways back to the truck,

Working at my father in laws shop i was able to get more done, i figured out a few problems, mostly adjusting the TPS. Such a PITA. but i was able to score these tires and rims for 120$

also took my intake off to clean it while i was adjusting the TPS and replacing it, it had like 3/4" worth of sludge buildup (i felt like the guy off the castrol commericial) an old guy was the PO and he babied it, so im sure it was never ran hard which couldnt of helped.

then after a run around with the parts stores i got a new speedo cable.

Somehow or another it fixed my non shifting issue (It was stuck in 2nd gear, maybe from sitting for 9 months, who knows, but it works flawlessly now)

Then i acquired these through some trading

my original plan was to cut them open a lil more and use them as i love the way these rims look, but sold them for 350$ more than i had in them so i couldnt complain.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Next was to finally drive it around, First time going more than a mile i got the brake light/ battery combo so i got a new alternator

Then i stopped by to get my exhaust fixed, i knew i had an exhaust leak at the connector from the manifold to the down pipe but i didnt know it was this bad

It literally looks like someone cut it in half then tacked it backed together. A new Header will be an addition soon as i find some $.

so i got the welded back up to almost perfect and a new muffler and exhaust is good, only a slight leak now.

need to replace both CV's still.

the new muffler being put on, (quietest/cheapest thing they had)

and i gotta replace my pinion seal, as its leaking

but other than that, shes running fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM

One afternoon after work i went and got my ski

i stopped by the gas station to fill up and all the gas was just pouring out, when i rigged the Previous gas tank from the 93 in, the hose was rubbing on the frame, and it eventually tore, 2 hours and a radiatior hose and i got it fixed and back to running.

One day i got tired of hearing leaves rattle so i pulled the blower motor out and was able to find this

got that cleaned out, air blows a little harder and i dont hear any leaves rattle now.

I dont have any pics but i scored the right gas tank for my truck with fuel pump/bracket and everything for 50$ from a guy junking his yota. (WITH A BRAND NEW MOTOR)

and for 6 $ i got a cool power steering cap that says "TOYODA" and windshield wipe cap, and a headlight.

Cleaned the rims up,

and thats where im at now, hopefully i can order me a new fender and get to building my bumpers!

this is what my last build went from/to

then

but i sold her to buy my wife a vw bug (she's happy, = me's happy)
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man looks like a nice project. nice hogs to man wish we had hogs here in virginia, my brother use to live in florida and talked about how fun running hogs was lol
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM

oh ya nice chevy to. im trying to find a 92-98 z71 right now as a matter of fact haha
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 AM

The chevy was my baby lol. I could go on for days abt her with the biggest smile on my face.

Other news. Got the rear pinion seal changed out yesterday and its holding fine. No more leaky rear end. Now I'm looking at lifts. I need to fit bigger tires so I can get some more ground clearence. Finally managed to get her stuck...only because a drop off sat me on the frame. But the tractor was able to get me out.

Really amazed at what this lite truck will do.

What's everyones opinion or suggestion for a lift. What would yall like to see done?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM

Remember. Mud and hunting only no rocks around here! still needs to Be DD status as well so nothing to crazy.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM

how big are them tires man??? im running a 3" body lift, bj spacers, t-bar crank and clearing 33x13.50 super swampers by a good bit. it made it down every path at the hunt club. this set up gives ya height but its not huge. i know you run dogs and hunt out of it like you said and i had no problems last year loading dogs in my box man. just another thing to think bout. lol
Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM

The tires in it now I think are 245's. They are w.e came with the rims. Just haven't found a set for the right price yet. (I like deals..hence whole truck for $250) but I will find some eventually.

For a street tire. (lame I know) they actually performed 10,000x better than I expected. Better than some a/t s I've ran before. I have yet to make my mind up on how big I want to go. Part of me wants to run 37's or bigger but part of me is saying keep it simple and don't overdo it. I just gotta keep it reasonable.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM

ya man well with my set up i ran my dads 35x13.50 baja claws without a problem. i had a set of 37's on it that would have fit if i took the valence off and cut a lil. for the price though you couldn't beat it. 120 bucks for the 3" body lift, 100 for the ball joint spacers, 30 for the add a leaf, and the t-bar crank was free.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

i have an auto trans so i gotta order my BL special lol,

what all entails to the BJ spacers? and do they run the risk of hurting anything?

think my 4.56 gears will turn 35's effeciantly?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 PM

i have the auto trans to man. i used the same kit as the manual but the shifter is kinda loose but i just deal with it. i know that 4crawler.com sells the piece that you will want for the auto. i have the bj spacers for 2 years now with no problems. how ever if your gonna crank your t-bars also get the 4crawler diff drop. i also got the bj spacers from 4 crawler. i had a buddy who ran 35's on 4.56's with a 22re with out a problem but he was a 5 speed. i dont think a auto would be much more different
Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM

question for the forum...

should i keep the rims i have or get some 15x10 rims..

which would look better (not looking at color/chrome/w.e) just width.

i can get a set of 15x10's for 50$ so....
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM

i like wide tires. i went from having 15x12s to having 15x10s and regret selling the 15x12's. my next tires are gonna be a 33x15.50 on a 15x14 wide rim. lol but in the end its your truck and put what makes you happy on lol
Old 10-13-2010, 05:13 PM

how do you like your ss's? ive been considering either those or cooper discovery stt's. i like the look of both,

how are they wearing? i know they arent supposed to last long, but i didnt know if being such a lighter truck riding on them if it made much of a difference...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM

to be honest they have lasted alot longer than i expected. i got em a week before hunting season last year cause i was very strapped for cash and te were the cheapest 33" mud tire i could find. i have had em on for a year now and the rear have around 40 percent tread left and the front have a lil less. make sure you get your front alligned though. i ate through 2 front tires because i didnt have an allignment
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
scribed. By the way as cool as the stt's look and believe me they look cool and perform well they do wear fast. If you're looking for good tire try checking out maxxis bighorns. I've had them for some time and they perform on and off road. They are a similar tread pattern to goodyear mt's. I also used to have super swamper ltbs and unless youre running through some severe mud they're over kill. I know i love the look and feel of swampers as much as the next guy but seriously would have to consider daily driving something else if i went back to them as running ltb's was just pissing money away.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's starting to look less like a pile of crap and more like a truck! Nice work!

Quick Reply: BigSwole's 90 4x4 Ext. Cab Pickup Build