86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BIGBOCK's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool BIGBOCK's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

After selling the "Radio Flyer" (old 86 4Runner) a few years ago

I decided it was time for another one. I picked up a nice 86 4Runner here a few weeks ago and it is time to get started on getting it ready for the trails. My two boys 8 years and 5 years are about to get a summer tour of as much as we can cover of beautiful Colorado.

Here is a few pics of the new rig:

Currently it has just over 200k on speedo with a rebuilt 22re swap from a 93 Toy pickup. Open 4:10 diffs and 32 inch BFG AT's and a crummy 4 inch lift on blocks in the rear. So let the fun begin.

I am picking up some 4 inch lift springs today from a guy for the rear.

I picked up a V6 rear 3rd with 4.88 gears and am on the hunt for a 4.88 7.5 front diff. I plan to potentially SAS this down the road a year or two when the funds are more available.

I have a line on a front bumper, sliders and rear bumper that I will post up once those are ready.

Thanks for reading. I will add more as things progress.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
have fun...lots of great toyota vendors in Colorado...
Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
have fun...lots of great toyota vendors in Colorado...
Thanks oc!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Today was a pretty filled day of running around picking up goodies. First I woke up to a message on Colorado4x4.org from a guy responding to my post looking for a 4.88 IFS front diff . I picked that up from him and headed up to the fab shop to pick up my front bumper. While I was there I ordered up the sliders and rear bumper.

Got home and me and my boys got to work. The kiddos were so STOKED to be working on he new 4runner. As a matter of fact my youngest son said he wants to name it THE BEAST - which I got quite the laff from cuz they just had watched the movie The Sandlot. It's far from a beast compared to some of the sick rigs on this forum.

First thing we did is took off the ol stockie front bumper. Then we temp mounted up the front bumper to see how she would look:

The boys REALLY thought it was cool:

Then I pulled the bumper to get it ready for paint. Cleaned er up nice and then started rolling on the HAMMER

Tomorrow I will coat the backside then do a second coat, let her dry and mount it up on:

THE BEAST!!!

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited by BIGBOCK; 11-27-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM

hey hey! this is josh your truck looks like a great start!!! that thing is way clean!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GJToyotabug
hey hey! this is josh your truck looks like a great start!!! that thing is way clean!
Hey Josh, hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving. Yep, the 4runner is in decent shape. We will see how the rearend fairs once I get a chance to throw the rear springs under it. Im guessing a 6ish inch shackle will be needed but will try my stockie shackles to see how she sits. I will throw some pics up when I get those on.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 AM

yeah it went great. i cant wait to see more pictures of it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:04 AM

The boys and I finished up the front bumper yesterday and mounted it up. We rattlecanned everything behind the bumper to tie it all in. Here are a few pics finished. The only thing we have to do is mount up the license plate and front blinkers.

I also dug out my old IFS front quick disco's from my last 4runner and disasembled them for a quick paint over.

I never got around to putting them on my old 4runner so I am curious to see how they work. My son wanted to know why RED paint so I told him they needed to be quick to find and disconnect and he was like

So here are a few more shots of projects to come....

4.88 3rd member swaps

Rear:

Front:

Springs:

And for my final adventure of the weekend, sorry no pics....I jumped in the rig to run to WALMART last night. Everything was cool until I pulled into the parking lot. Got out to hear something POURING out under the engine. Yup, you guessed it, coolant pouring out like nobody's business.

Since this is a new rig and I have yet to get it on the trail, I didnt have any tools with me. The wife came down with my toolbag and headlamp and I checked it out. Looks like the previous owner had a second hose clamp on one of the radiator hoses where the bottom was clamped right at the end of the tube and the top of the hose clamp was just on the hose itself and this thing was ratcheted down hard - it seems it may have cut it but it was too dark to tell. I moved the hose clamp and ended up having drive her home 2 miles on no coolant good thing it was 30 degrees outside. Well, Im going to crawl under the rig now to find out the gist of whats going on. At least this happened in town close to home and not on the trail...

For anyone that actually read this....cheers. Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited by BIGBOCK; 12-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM

hey i could use a set of those sway bar disconnects you mind throwing a parts list my way. pre runnin my truck with a sway bar SUCKS!!! lol
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by GJToyotabug
hey i could use a set of those sway bar disconnects you mind throwing a parts list my way. pre runnin my truck with a sway bar SUCKS!!! lol
These are from Rockstomper I believe, here's an article about them with link to Rockstomper at bottom of page.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/disconnects/
Old 11-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Well I have good news for um me I guess...I dug into the MAJOR coolant leakage from last night in the parking lot of Wallymart. As I suspected the bottom hose from radiator to engine had been cut by the hose clamp that the PO put on. Here is a pic of the damage:

HOSE CLAMP VS. Radiator Hose

Hose clamp WINS by use of numbnuts previous owner not knowing how to put on hose clamp

Total cost for me $9.99 for new hose and $16 for coolant which isnt bad considering this could have happened on the trail or could have been worse!

I am supposed to get rear bumper and sliders tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM

It's been CRAZY cold weather out (-22 below with windchill) for the past week or two so I havent had much of a chance to get anything done. I did get up to Fort Collins to the shop to hook up my rear bumper and sliders last week. Dan up at ALLCRAWL4X4.com did a great job on everything and gave me one heck of a good deal for front/rear bumper and sliders including welding on the sliders.

This weekend I got the rear bumper and sliders all painted up - check it:

After painting the sliders, I had to figure out a non slip method for the kiddos getting into the back seat. They step up on the sliders with wet feet with that high gloss paint and things get very slick.

SOOOO I snagged some stair tread grip tape but it had reflective tape in the middle which actually gave me a perfect line to cut from and mount on the top of the sliders. I actually geeked out a bit further and put some on the rear bumper as well. I figure at some point I will have a roof rack and prolly carry stuff up there as well.

Thats it...next projects are:

Spare Tire (need a wheel) and Mount on Rollbar
Springs
Diff Swaps
Mount Highlift Jack

Stay tuned....

Last edited by BIGBOCK; 12-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM

this is nice!
keep up the good work
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by gTgarrett
this is nice!
keep up the good work
Thanks gTgarrett! Cheers
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Nice looking truck man...too bad about the hose busting, but better at Walmart than on the trail right.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hitman86
Nice looking truck man...too bad about the hose busting, but better at Walmart than on the trail right.
Thanks Hitman86, yup, better at Wallymart then on the trail for sure. Thanks for stopping by!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice 4Runner, im slowly getting my 86 4Runner built. The body on my 4Runner isn`t quite as clean as yours, but its fixable.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Nice 4Runner, im slowly getting my 86 4Runner built. The body on my 4Runner isn`t quite as clean as yours, but its fixable.
If thats your 4runner in your avatar, I'd say you are getting it built!

I might be hitting you up for info when I go to do my SAS...

Keep up the good work on it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 PM

A few more shots:

I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS THING ON THE TRAIL...feeling Mall Crawlerish lately. I am hoping for nicer weather this week for Xmas so I can at least get it off the road!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM

Nice clean rig, man. Where are ya in CO?

Quick Reply: BIGBOCK's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread