86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Atlastrekker's 1990 4runner Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a couple of wheel travel shots for the record. 1.5" balljoint spacers with torsion bars relaxed quite a bit, OME coil springs in the rear and 31's.

Nothing crazy, but with the locker it doesn't matter so much.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Blackrock desert trip

Made a little camping trip up to the Blackrock Desert in Northwest Nevada last spring. It's so amazing up there!

Did I mention that these tires really suck in the mud?

Camp at the hot springs:

Old 10-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Looking good as always.. Love this Runner!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Have you thought about moving the rear heater switch to the open slots near the Hazards switch?

Also..if you ever decide to sell those rims, put me on the list of buy-ees!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Roark
Have you thought about moving the rear heater switch to the open slots near the Hazards switch?

Also..if you ever decide to sell those rims, put me on the list of buy-ees!
Do you have a link to this mod? Sounds interesting, but I just put a Carling rocker switch in the only factory hole, it's for an LED light bar for the front bumper.

I'm not too sure about the rims myself. I may or may not keep them, I'll let you know when I decide! Too bad we are on opposite sides of the country.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 AM

Headlight wiring harness upgrade

I picked one of these up the other day

I pulled the headlights

Ran the wires in front of the washer fluid can, radiator, and overflow can.

Out through the hole. I can see why a snorkel is a good idea now!

The positive wire to the battery post on the switch.

I mounted the relays behind the battery

High beams now

Low beams now

Overall I am very happy with the gains I got with this cheap upgrade. Now I have to figure out a relay for the driving lights I want to install....
Old 11-09-2014, 02:01 PM

2 meter ham radio install

I did a little more work on the 4runner today. I've had this ham radio sitting around for a while so in it went.

The radio is an Icom IC-V8000 2 meter radio, and it went in pretty easy. Sorry but I didn't take pictures of the way I secured it, but it's strapped to the CD player above and to the sides as well. I did use a short ground and ran the coax away from any power wires as much as I could between the radio and the antenna. The radio has a forward facing speaker and a fan in the back to cool it off, so it's good for mounting like this.

The antenna is a Laird 1/2 wave, and I mounted it using machine screws into the fender. It JUST clears the hood when it's closed. I like the way it looks, and it works really good.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 PM

Build up 92

Wow! nice job,I really like the paint,and the lift and tires work well together.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Thanks.

When its time to replace these tires I'll go bigger. Maybe 33x10.5 bfg at tires if they make them in the new pattern.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:05 PM

Are you located near Chico? Putney is the man, how do you like the motor you got from him?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 PM

I'm up in Nevada City.

The motor has been great, I've got about 8k on it now and there's been zero issues. Did you get a motor from him as well? I've heard other folks complaining about him on here, I wondered if I was just lucky.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Nope, if i had a 22re you bet id have a motor from him.

I wonder what people's complaints were, the only thing i have ever heard about is his time frame. He build's great motors as far as im concerned. Seems like everyone up here that cares about building their rigs, all have his 22re's.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM

It was definitely the time it took him. I think it was about 6 months from the time I gave him a deposit to the time I got the motor. That's probably going to make some people crazy, in today's instant gratification society. I think it was worth it personally.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 PM

He seems to get things out a little faster for the local guys, but im no expert.. The last i heard, a buddy dropped his motor off and i was told he was like 40+motors out. That would be crazy to have that many orders for motors, especially for a small company like that.

With your headlight pictures, was that just an upgraded headlight harness? Did it really make a noticeable difference to output?
I think my stock lights are adequate, i think i might buy a light bar off my buddy and mount it above my winch, that depends if i ever get motivated and finsish my 4runner
Old 11-14-2014, 08:49 PM

It was pretty noticable. The Sylvania silverstar lights needed the extra voltage, and having true battery voltage at the lights is important. I ended up doing it on a couple other vehicles and it improved all of them, and for $25 why not do it? I've got everything set up for an 20" LED light bar to go on the front bumper, and between that and the headlights now it will be plenty good enough for me.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Talking Tire size on my stock 91

My rig came stock with the 31's I'm almost positive they'd take a 33 but I'm happy enough with the 31's plus my wife is 5 foot and acts likes she's climbing Everest every time she mounts up.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 AM

This is my fifth Toyota build and the one thing I've learned is that I am not hard core in any way. I'm more of an exploring deserts, fire roads, and mild snow wheeler than anything else. I did the Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab, and others quite a bit when I was to younger but now I don't care so much.

31's have been OK for just about everything I've done since I bought this truck, but the snow and sand requires just a little more floatation than I can get out of of these. 33x12.5 AT's of some sort are probably next. Probably Fallen Wildpeak AT or Cooper STMaxx.

I do understand about the woman complaining about the height. Mine does too, but she gets over it quick when we are out playing in the dirt.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:23 AM

There isn't much to update lately, but I do still take it out quite often on runs through the woods. In the little bit of snow we had it did really good! I really like the locker in the snow.

My next projects are mounting up an LED light bar on the front bumper and mounting up a Yakima basket on the roof some how. I should get to those here in the next month or so, I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 PM

A co-worker was telling me that he has bought a few of these 20" LED light bars off of Amazon, so I thought I would give one a try. It's really bright, so that's good, but I've heard some bad things about cheap LED bars not being water proof so we will see how it goes. Does anyone know a good way to make this sealed up better?

$60 Amazon.com 20" LED light bar

Top view of the light bar

I wired it up on a relay so that it will only turn on when the high beam head lights are on and the switch is closed.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM

I decided to upgrade my stock rear view mirror from one like this:

To one like this:

It was actually a pretty easy swap, the headliner needed to be cut out with a razor blade, but the steel behind that was already set up to hold the mirror in place. For the wires, I spliced into the dome light wiring and ran them over to the new map lights. I was kind of hoping there would be factory wires up there, but I couldn't find them easily and I didn't want to pull the headliner down.

Here is what the headliner modification looked like:

Quick Reply: Atlastrekker's 1990 4runner Buildup