86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion

So I inherited an 89 Toyota pickup from my late grandfather. I decided to go with a flatbed because of my line of work (fencing, railing etc) and I needed something large and flat to carry things that are not necessarily heavy. Here are some pics of the rebuild, not so many detailed shots but you get the idea. The truck runs like a CHAMP! I mean it is peppy off the gas, it feels like new! I almost can't believe it.

I am also learning how to repair engines on this vehicle, so I just recently learned about timing. I checked the timing and it was WAY off, like 2 inches before the 12 mark. You read that right, like 20-25 degrees before TDC! (this is with the diag ports jumpered) so I decided to adjust the timing to 3 degrees BTDC. As soon as I did that my engine has NO POWER. Like flooring the gas pedal almost gets me to 15 MPH. Whats the issue? I realize my grandfather retarded his timing so he could get the truck to run better rather than fixing the issue at hand. Where do I start?? I need to fix this to pass smog.

There is no CEL and if I jumper the Diag ports it give me code 51 and 41 which i understand is A/C and TPS respectively.

If you need more info or pics PLEASE do not hesitate to ask.
Attached Thumbnails '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_0555-copy.jpg   '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_1544-copy.jpg   '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_1543-copy.jpg   '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_1547.jpg  

Last edited by eurojoe; 04-23-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 PM

So I reinstalled my distributor and it is setup correctly to #1 on compression stroke.

I checked my crankshaft wheel and the keyway and the timing mark line up.

What else could it be? Is my timing chain off a tooth?? I dont think it could be possible if the keyway matches up with the timing mark and the #1 piston all at once am i right?
Attached Thumbnails '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_1694.jpg   '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-img_1695.jpg  

Last edited by eurojoe; 04-24-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM

It ended being the TPS sensor.

Basic test for your TPS sensor

1) jumper your diagnostic ports. Did the idle drop? If not the TPS is not functioning correctly, remove it and clean it. Lookup TPS adjustment procedures for installation.

Test 2)
-unplug the socket plug from the TPS sensor
-jumper diagnostic ports
-jumper the bottom two pins on the socket plug half (not the sensor)
-did the idle drop?
-the TPS is not working correctly. Clean and install based on instructions "22re tps adjustment"

i hope this helps someone unlike the 100+ people who looked at my post.

Last edited by eurojoe; 04-25-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojoe
It ended being the TPS sensor.
i hope this helps someone unlike the 100+ people who looked at my post.

Looks like you did a good job finding the info on your own. your best friend for these trucks is a factory FSM. Also, keep in mind that even though people may look at your thread, it doesnt mean that they have any clue about engine diagnostics. now, had i seen your thread earlier i would have probably stated that it was the TPS since so many issues on these trucks are related to it. I know its frustrating not getting answers right away, but some searching and some patience will do you good. or...you could go onto pirate 4x4. they love people who dont have patience and they are always willing to help out at the drop of a dime.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Good point brotha, i went with the afternarket one. I bet it will go bad in less than two years
Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM

never know, might get lucky and have it last forever!
i have a beaten and abused stocker that is so loose it took me forever to get tuned. im just gonna do some junkyard searching to see if i can find any there. Then ill keep my original as a spare. Id always keep your eyes open for them in junk yards.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 PM

As soon as a junkyard out here in sacramento has a 22re pickup it immediately is stripped of everything valuable on like two days. I know what you mean though abojt the stockers, they were made to LAST! They are just about invincible.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:39 PM

i know what you mean about the junkyards. im located about 10 mins south of sac. best place i found is the pick n pull down in stockton, but even then, you got about a week tops and everything is picked to the carcass.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:07 AM

This might be a stupid question but how is the TPS supposed to install? I see the grooves on the blades of the TPS and figure the accessory blades throttle-bodies butterfly valve slip into them BUT it doesnt make sense, how will this operate the TPS sensor if it moves in the opposite direction?

I do have the 1st gen TPS sensor and it is a perfect match to the stock one off my Toyota which I believe is original. Yet how could the blades from the throttle body pull the TPS into different positions? Wouldnt the fins slip out? I imagine it has to PUSH the TPS sensor switch. attached are pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-toyotatps.jpg   '89 Pickup DLX Flatbed Conversion-20140215_140053-1-1-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eurojoe
This might be a stupid question but how is the TPS supposed to install? I see the grooves on the blades of the TPS and figure the accessory blades throttle-bodies butterfly valve slip into them BUT it doesnt make sense, how will this operate the TPS sensor if it moves in the opposite direction?

I do have the 1st gen TPS sensor and it is a perfect match to the stock one off my Toyota which I believe is original. Yet how could the blades from the throttle body pull the TPS into different positions? Wouldnt the fins slip out? I imagine it has to PUSH the TPS sensor switch. attached are pics for reference.
It's been awhile since I installed mine and it's too rainy to check under my hood at this moment, but the parts interact in a fairly obvious way once you test fit and swivel it around some. It swings in the same 90° arc as the butterfly valve, so just set it on there to where it feels like the tps spring is interacting throughout the full action of the throttle. If memory serves, the plug should point slightly downward of horizontal once it's set correctly.

P.s. Getting the screws back in there really sucks if your aren't pulling the tb. It can be done, but trust me, it sucks. I used to use a 90° angle Phillips driver to adjust it but replaced the screws with 4mm hex for an easier set-up. Also, good luck if you drop one of the screws. Hopefully it lands on the ground, but you'll really wish you pulled the tb if it disappears! Oh and alligator clip leads on your multimeter make for an easier adjustment as well.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 PM

So i ended up cleaning the throttle body out and setting up the TPS

im pretty sure my TPS is set up correctly, it read between 0 and 2.3k ohms when it has a .57mm spacer. However it read nearer to 0 something like .46

and when i jumpered the diagnostic ports it flashes a code 41, there is no CEL though

it does seem to drive real well tho.
timing and idle are set to spec
Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 PM

check out http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...newwindow=true
4crawler also sells a TPS allen head screw kit with a stubby wrench for 10 bucks. best 10 bucks ive spent on this truck so far. i dont know why toyota decided to put the sensor in such a position where it butts up against the damn thermostat housing.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM

I already went to ace hardware and bought the screws to spec off LCEs site. Works like a charm!!

i guess the tps should be set when the trottle body is off and being clean, thats why they put it in an awkward spot
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Anyone know why the engine is making this sound? Is this normal for a 22re with over 280k on the dash?

It sort of sounds like it is from the exhaust.

https://youtu.be/JR0zTP1UvBM