86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

88rustbucket's 1988 4Runner build up thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88rustbucket's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hi everybody!!

sooo I'm a total toyota greenhorn but I'm not new to modding cars and trucks, anyways I'd been searching for a Toyota for almost a year, originally I wanted a Hilux but couldnt find one for a decent price so I decided to try for a 4Runner instead, a couple buddies and my boss have RHD turbo diesel Land Cruisers, I felt left out lol. so heres what I found.

88 SR5 V6 Auto 4Runner

specs
Rancho 4" lift
Hilux rims
Hilux Flares all 4 corners
flowmaster cat back

the bad
steering box is leaking
stupid nerf bars (its icy and i slipped off em on the weekend
rear window regulator gears are stripped
stored in a shed of some sort says the po mice wrecked the carpet
tires are poo
breaks are soft
some bum sag

i havent really formulated a plan for this rig yet, just getting to know her, but figured this was a good place to start and to satisfy my picture whoring, just gonna work on fixing the minor issues with her, do some regular maintenance, go play in the bush and see where i wanna go from there.

advice, constructive critisim, ideas im open to em all !!!! as I'm sure I'll be asking for help at some point !!!

enjoy

Last edited by 88rustbucket; 01-17-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet besides the auto lol do a 5 speed swap... and u can do a zuk mod for the rear sag to
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM

ya not really sold on the 5spd swap yet, unless it drastically improves mpg which so far thats not what im hearing, its been a shock going from my honda crx to this tank lol but im having fun with it snow drifting lol, ive been doing some reading on the zuk mod, but needless to say at -12 im not jumping up and down to go outside and work on the truck maybe if i can hijack my buddies garage for a day lol
Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM

Note to self if the trick looks like it just came out of the freezer don't try and roll down the window at the drive thru!!! The window crank doesn't roll down the window now
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I thougth I posted on here and was just checking in. Guess it didnt make it. I will try it again. Truck looks great. I want to eventually get those factory flares you have on yours. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I thougth I posted on here and was just checking in. Guess it didnt make it. I will try it again. Truck looks great. I want to eventually get those factory flares you have on yours. Welcome to Yotatech.
Thanks!! So those are a factory usdm flare? I called em Hilux flares cause my buddy who had one before his land cruiser said they looked the same....
At any rate they give te truck an entirely different look I love it !!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Soo much salt time for a wash

Of course I bought a black truck lol it'll only look clean after I wash it

Last edited by 88rustbucket; 01-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Good choice on the 4runner, especially in BC-Coldville! lol. Pretty nice looking rig, man! As I said on my thread in reply to your comment.... Read my thread on the Zuk mod in my sig..... You can always undo that 75$ mod a bit later if you want, but I've been very pleased with mine thus far.... I've romped on it and it's not come free/given me drama of any kind. In my sig in green, I believe(Philbert has a great write up on it as well, he's commented in my Zuk thread quite a bit/I just preferred not cutting so much of the bump tower off, personally).

Have fun, man!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Good choice on the 4runner, especially in BC-Coldville! lol. Pretty nice looking rig, man! As I said on my thread in reply to your comment.... Read my thread on the Zuk mod in my sig..... You can always undo that 75$ mod a bit later if you want, but I've been very pleased with mine thus far.... I've romped on it and it's not come free/given me drama of any kind. In my sig in green, I believe(Philbert has a great write up on it as well, he's commented in my Zuk thread quite a bit/I just preferred not cutting so much of the bump tower off, personally).

Have fun, man!
I have had a chance to peruise that thread probably gonna be doing that after I knock some of the more immediate issues off my list, gotta do the maintence before modding, haha it rains mostly unless you head up north, or up one of the mountains snow in the Vancouver area is rareish, I'm enjoying the truck so far but not the possessed overdrive, I wasn't sold on the 5spd swap till I started doing a fair amount of hwy driving I think ima add it to the list a long with some interior refresh lol or a lack there of !!!

Last edited by 88rustbucket; 01-24-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM

yall are killing me with 4runners, i want one for flordia weather!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am thinking those are factory flares on your truck enen though I cant say 100%. I eventually want to get a set. I dont care for the Bushwacker Flares but there is another brand I have seen that look quite similar and they are the Jungle flares. I think they give a truck and entirely different look.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I am thinking those are factory flares on your truck enen though I cant say 100%. I eventually want to get a set. I dont care for the Bushwacker Flares but there is another brand I have seen that look quite similar and they are the Jungle flares. I think they give a truck and entirely different look.
oh for sure they do,my favorite part of the truck so far are the rims and flares, people really notice as ive been driving around town for the last couple weeks... hoping to make some sort of something on the truck this weekend, maybe get more than one speaker going lol, its supposed to rain epicly so speaker wiring sounds like a nice dry task maybe hunt down a cb from a big rig wrecker ...so not enough hours in the week when you work 55 of them
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 AM

yay so i actually maeged to get a couple maintenance items taken care of on the truck. bled the breaks properly so they no longer feel like a giant sponge she stops on a dime now. When i got the truck the original wiper arms had broken, i guess the hook part had rusted away and the arms themselves were all craked, so i went to the wrecker and found a 93 runner pulled the arms off and threw em on fit perfectly, now my wiper blades actually wipe the whole windshield not just half of it. fixed some burnt out lights got some brighter headlights and found a decal id been looking for threw that on too, ill take pics in the morning when its not dark out in the mean time ima get some rack as i gotta be back at work in about 10 hours....
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Before

Took me forever to find this thing in the magnet and not the vynl sticker