86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

87 'runner boosted's 4Runner SR5 build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright clicking at the COR confirmed but still no pumping from the fuel pump. next course of action??? fuel pump mysteriously went bad??
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Fuel pump might have indeed went bad.... however, the odds of that coincidence? YEAH, that much! lol.

1. Fuel Filter is new?(just asking out of curiosity)

2. Do same test of Fuel Pump by;

....a. Unclip AFM/Attached to upper Air Cleaner Housing/Connector still attached, reach up in and push the flap open with the key "ON", while someone listens for fuel pump.
....b. Look up 4crawler Fuel Pump Bypass Test(Run test and listen for pump).

3. Open your gas cap and light a match, ..now, the next step is.... OOPS< nevermind, ...Just having a flash back of 'how I felt after 6 MONTHS of chasing my tail over misses/misfire/chunky idle' syndrome! hahahaha.

Start there, AFTER; Make double sure that the EFI 15A fuse is good! NOT difficult to blow that... and if you do, ...NO go go! Plenty of starter action, as I remember, but NO GO-GO! lol.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Heard that. As soon as I get home from this bday party, I'll check it out am see what I can find
Old 08-20-2011, 05:04 AM

IT RUNS ON STARTING FLUID!!!! good sign, should just have a fueling problem now...didnt get a chance to check any of that stuff last night, was exhausted from a hard week of work.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:46 PM

C.O.R.

AFM hooked up?

Injector interruption/s between ECU and Injector?

You'll get it, man.... make sure everything is plugged in, etc., ....then start a check list, a DETAILED one, and float it to us, ok? best wishes, Mark
Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Alright, so I decided dig deep into this sucker today with my only day off (couldnt think of anything better to do than work on my day off....stupid, I know). Checked for power to the pump while cranking---found only getting .48V, might as well be none. Yanked my battery and too it to the back so I could put power to the pump and check it that way---found pump to be operating as designed, indicating a lack of power upstream. checked all the wiring from pump up to cab, through firewall and then it goes into the big harness that goes between upper/lower intake manifolds, the harness that has your injector connectors, tps connector and those other two connectors that are below the throttle body (forgive me for lack of terminology but I dont know what they are for). So, I pulled my upper intake (easier to fish that knock sensor wire down this way anyways) and pulled all my injector plugs as I realized that I had two different sets of wires going to each injector. After pulling the connectors, I found #2#4 injectors had white/blue wires going to them, #1 and #3 had yellow/red wires going to them. One of the extra connectors I had I saw had white w/ black stripe and blue wire going to it. I checked the wiring at the pump and what do you know....same color wires at the pump. Im determined that these wires (which have also pulled out of the connector) are for the fuel pump but have no idea where in the world they could go. I am completely stumped. Wondering if anyone might have an idea....

Here are some pics of the wires and connector that I have. This connector is at the very end of the main eng harness. Ive accounted for all the injector plugs, just cant figure where this one goes.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

UPDATE : I shot battery power to those wires shown above and VOILA, fuel pump comes on. WHERE THE HE!! do those wires go??? I have absolutely no freaking idea. If anyone has seen where it goes, plz hook me up with some info...its all I lack getting this sucker runnin!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Wow, ...that is bizarre! (probably not, but it's bizarre to me, since I can't know what the hell that is! lol).

Is that connector blue/or/green?(light colored, either one?) The connector on my VSV on the valve cover is Blue or Green, that color.... can't think of another connector that looks like that that would go anywhere else besides... The IACV, mounted to the bottom of the intake, below the throttle body, below the CTsensor and CSI Time Switch... 2 Large vacuum hoses coming off it, one in front and one in back>>>>>>

this has a two prong connector on the back of it as well... Not sure it would cause a 'non-start' though... But then, as I said, "NOT SURE" lol.

VSV? .... Not sure that'd cause a non-start, either... In fact I doubt it. I mean, on our models, ...there's no separate 2 prong connector, THAT I CAN THINK OF, like that, other than the CSI, VSV, AC/VSV, IACV..... That collapsing boot is throwing me off, too..... I mean, I have one, but it's on my Cable, for the throttle I believe at some point. I'll have to look when I have more time, ...Sorry Boosted!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Well, I don't hav anything connected to the iacv right now besides the vacuum hoses. If that thing (and no, I don't know the purpose of it) controls power to the fuel pump, that must be it. Like I said, I Put power to it and poof, fuel pump started working. That thing has gotto have somethig to do with it, I just don't know what. I'm half tempted to run an on/off switch to those wires and mount it in the cab...but I wanna do it right
Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM

Alright, I just got back home and had a look at that IACV deal, there is a connector on the back of that sucker, didnt remember that during disassembly. As for your other question, the connector is a green color (the one that doesnt have a home yet). IF ANYONE has any idea or can confirm the wire colors going to the IACV are blue and white/black stripe, plz let me know.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Sup Boosted?

Ok, I did a video for ya.... but Youtube is CRAWLING for me at the moment... So I'll just explain...

1. There are 3 GREEN connectors in the System that I can see, that appear the same as yours

2. One is to the VSV/for FPR. Another is to the Coolant Temp Sensor. The last is to the IACV.

3. I'm not able to see the wire colors on the IACV... but The VSV/FPR appears to be "black and white/black stripe". The Coolant Temp Sensor seems to be light green or blue, ... I'm not going to tear it open further to see....and to be honest, at this time of night, as tired as I am.... with that angle? hahaha.

4. That means that, MOST LIKELY, your connector is to either the Coolant Temp Sensor or the IACV

5. My guess is that you're "mystery" connector is to the IACV. Reason being, ... YOU DON'T MISS THAT COOLANT TEMP SENSOR CONNECTOR EASILY! lol. It's coming out of the end of the harness, right next to the CSI time switch connector(which is brown). PLUSSSSSSS, if I'm hearing you correctly..... NOTHING is connected to the IACV, right? VOILA!

Look at your Coolant Temp sensor and make sure it's connected to the Green connector....and then, make sure that the wire there is RIGHT NEXT TO another wire with a strange lil scrunchy boot with a brown connector. I can see MAYBE getting the Coolant Temp Sensor getting mixed up with the IACV via length and color... but considering the CTS and CSI Tswitch are so close coming out of the harness? Doubtful, is my guess.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 PM

Hope this helps...........

Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 PM

I'm not sure what THE FREAK............nvm, ...I'm about to blow a gasket! lol. If the video's not seemingly working without moving the cursor? No idea what's wrong. Unless I move my cursor, the video wont move, just the audio. So, I'll delete that video and reload it. Sorry man.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 AM

ha, dontcha love technology. Thanks again for the help there. im going to check out the purpose of the IACV tonight...thats the only other possible place that connector can go. Also gotta get those contacts back in the connector itself. Hoping and praying that is the problem....
Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 AM

You didn't let those contacts that go in the connector 'make contact with each other' with 12V in the system/ign-on, did you?

Honestly, I'm not sure why the IACV being unplugged would/or how it could/ stop the fuel pump from activating...... Got me on that one. BUT, if it works suddenly when you plug it in.... GO WITH IT! lol.

IACV(Idle Air Control Valve) Operates by coolant temperature. When the coolant temp is cold, (if the IACV is even mechanically working), it causes the idle to be higher than you've set it via the Idle/Air screw. It works by bypassing the preset throttle body stop screw setting(You set that screw so that the Throttle plate is NEVER fulllllly CLOSED).... When cold, the IACV pulls air in through the front hose, BEFORE the throttle body flap/air-plate, then pulls that air through itself, then up the other hose to the plenum.... As the coolant heats up, the arm within the IACV slowly closes, until fully closed. Every one that I've looked inside/through,.... Even when they're closed, there's still a TEENY hole in the Gate that I guess allows a portion of the air through, but NOTHING CLOSE to what it allows in when it hasn't heated up yet.

Hope that helps! lol.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Man, that's a huge help, and yes, those wires were touching...but the circuit appears to be fine seeing as I can power it up and it works....
Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Maybe those wires touching this whole time what caused the fuel pump not to work with ignition??????? Hmmm...can't wait to get outta work and check this out now...hate finding this stuff out mid day...lol
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM

Had the connectors backed out? Why did you take them out, just curious(to see the color wires?)

I ask because... if maybe ONE had backed out and touched on the ground one.... maybe it could have been shorting something out.. ??? Not sure... CAN'T WAIT for you to find out. I hope that solves some things... I just can't know exactly what happened, ya know?

Glad it helped, man! I'm rootin for ya!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Ha, ya, the wires themselves had backed out and were both touching eachother (kind of in a bind as they were trying to pull completely out of the connector). I just pulled them all the way out as I realized I had to get them back in somehow (tried once and didnt find it as easy as I'd hoped). I might try the fuel pump bypass connector again now without the wires touching and see what happens. Ive got a sneaky suspicion that that connector wasnt ever connected to the IACV as corroded as the terminals are (not shiny on the contact points like it should be)....30 more mins till im outta here and checking on that though...cant wait....
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Best wishes.... I would just push em back in, clean em up first of course, and then add a lil dielectric grease, connect it to the IACV WITHOUT THE CLIP JUST YET!(that's a hard spot to get one of those clips off...ask me how I know? lol. Actually, you just pull the throttle body and IACV off the Intake, then unplug it, but that's besides the point! lol)....

See what that gets ya. I didn't know you were putting juice to the IACV wires ANDDDDDDDDD the Fuel Pump Bypass............ that changes things. The fuel pump Bypass should work on it's own, whether this wire is plugged into the IACV or not.. I'm very curious on all this.... fill me in/us in, bud!

Quick Reply: 87 'runner boosted's 4Runner SR5 build up thread