84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

richf 1985 4runner build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright I decided to hold off on the fuel filter for tonight and play with the tps. I couldn't figure out how to test/adjust the thing so I just put it back together and it fired right up. It was cold when I started and is idling a little high right now. (not sure if thats from me or just a cold start). I also noticed that the truck only hick ups when it reaches 3000 rpm and then runs fine past that.

I still have a list of things I want to do to the engine cause they are old or have sat for 3-4 years.

Fuel Filter
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Coil (Maybe)

any advice on the engine hick up at 3000 rpm?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice runner cant wait to see the finished product, hopefully will see it around when complete.

Change that stuff and see if it makes a difference before throwing stuff at it.

Last edited by takeitoutgetitdirty; 10-12-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM

After further investigating I think I may have a blown head gasket.

1. I'm developing white residue in the oil cap.
2. Moisture coming out of the tail pipe.
3. Truck is bogging down maybe do to water in the cyclinder.

Is a head gasket replacement a weekend job?
Would I need to remove the timing chain cover. I just replaced the timing chain and would rather not.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can do a headgasket in a weekend and you shouldn't have to remove the timing chain cover. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and did not remove the TCC. Just make sure you keep tension on the chain so it will not jump teeth on the bottom gear.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM

I did my tune up today and it stopped the hickup at 3000rpm. What a pain in the ass it is to replace the fuel filter. I had everything else done in 20mins. I spent almost an hour getting the fuel filter out.
Rotor, Cap, Plugs, Wires, Coil, Fuel Filter

Let me know what you think about these plugs

Last edited by richf; 10-14-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM

electrodes on the old plugs look pretty flat and square. Gaps look a little big, but hard to tell in a picture. Plugs do not look to have been in a cylinder that is burning to much oil. It does look like they all have been running a little rich.

Later
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM

It's funny you mention running rich. I had thought that the other day. What would cause a rich condition? Bad MAF? Bad TPS?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:30 AM

Are you carborated or fuel injected? Lots of things actually, a faulty EGR, AFM, If you are fuel injected, take a look at the top of the AFM, Has it been resealed? Does it look like someone has been inside it? If so they may have adjusted to rich. That is the primary thing that I see with peoples yota's that are running rich like that. Light ashy brown is what you want to see.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 AM

Its the fuel injected engine. Is the AFM attached to the top of the air box or top of the coil? Or am I in the wrong spot all together? Also I never noticed this until now but for some reason someone broke the connector for the o2 sensor and stuck 1 wire into the male connector. I'll take a pic later so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
That AFM is on top of your airbox.

That is NOT mine, but that is with the little black cover opened up, exposing the adjustment dial.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the pic man I don't think it has been tampered with. I put a new denso 02 sensor ( got it from napa and it was only $38.00 the dealer wanted something like $120.00) on today and drove the truck around after I put the seats back in. It seems to be riding smoother.

I also painted the bottom trim of the seats. It looks a hell of a lot better.

Check out this getto old o2 sensor and all the crap on it. The PO I guess broke the plug and stuck the wire he needed into the male connector.

Here is the new one. I also discovered that the truck has a set of headman headers. I always new they were after market but not sure who made them.

Last edited by richf; 10-16-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

I forgot to also mention a problem or situation I'm having while decelerating. If I have the truck in gear and let off the gas to slow down I get a squel from what I think is the t-case. I was going to replace the fluids tonight in the tranny and t-case but could not find the GL4 rating that 4crawler recommends. Maybe tomorrow I might have better luck.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
WOW! Nice build
Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 AM

thanks toyo.

It's a never ending battle with this POS. Last night the clutch stopped working while I was making some test runs around the shop. I think it might be the slave cylinder but also read a thread by prismo joe and he had pressure plate issues. What is happening is the transmission will not go into gear and if I turn the truck off and put it in gear and start it, it will not want to come out of gear or go into any other gear. I'm going to pick up a slave cylinder today and I think it might be time for a marlin 1,600lb clutch kit.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM

$30 slave cylinder fixed the problem. Runs like a top and shifts perfect. I also got rid of the water I was running in the cooling system and put the anti-freeze back in.

If anyone is having problems with the heater after putting in anti-freeze, loosen up the hose clamp and let the air out of the hose on the passenger side of the valve controlling the heating system.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 AM

Sold my wheel and tires this morning and ran over my oil bucket.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM

I forgot to mention this pos is giving me trouble again. Last night it died on me while I was riding a trail by my shop. I thought it was cause I was out of gas but I put 5 gallons in and it died again. When ever I turn on the lights, heater or pretty much anything that will pull amps it dies out. I ordered a 130 amp alternator today from grand rebuilders. Hopefully I get it by the weekend and I also ordered my new wheels. Still have to get tires but haven't decided on which ones I want yet.

Last edited by richf; 10-18-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 AM

I have been putting off paint the tail gate and top. Since I have no wheels and tires on the truck at the moment and can't piddle with other stuff I got stuck with doing it this weekend. I was ready to rock and roll with painting the tail gate until I open the can and saw the paint was no good. It had formed clumps or something in the paint so I tossed it out and will order new paint this week. I will how ever have the top painted this weekend. Here are some shots of the tail gate and top. I'll post pics of the top when it's all finished this afternoon.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Well the top did not turn out the way I wanted it to. It looks like I will be getting a soft topper sooner than I thought. I used the dupli color bed liner in a can and I guess I got it a little to close on some spots. The top of the top turned out great but the sides had some issues. I scraped off the messed up parts and tried to spray over them but it didn't turn out the way I thought it would. Plus I found out I have a nice crack in the middle of the top on the inside. Take a look.

This is the soft top. Which color do you think I should go with? I like the black but the tan is also on my mind.
http://www.softopper.com/Softopper_M...04Runner%20All
http://www.softopper.com/PhotoGallery.aspx
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM

update: I got my wheels in the other day. Didn't get the backspacing I wanted but they will work. I also ordered my tires today should have them mounted by Monday.

Quick Reply: richf 1985 4runner build-up thread