84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Nebulae87's 1985 SR5 4X4 Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolfool
if it was me id try id do 1 of 2 things lock tight a socket to it lol are drill the center of it and try o get it out but do drill do deep and you need a small bit
I was actually in the process of drilling a hole into is and using an extractor bit you use for broken boltse etc but i couldnt find the right drill bit. Plus, the last thing i need is my drill to get drenched in oil. Then i'll be down a drill as well!! haha
Old 09-04-2010, 11:47 PM

UPDATE::
My knuckles, no not THOSE knuckles , are leaking. Gross black goop all around them and covering some of the brakes and is also piled on inside my rims lol. Seems like a bad front axle seal on both sides. I'll post some pics of both knuckles tomorrow so you all can vomit in disgust. But for now.....leaks, goop....weird oil smell from the goop...does that sound like a bad axle seal?? I've never dealt with knuckles so this is all new to me.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 PM

COOLFOOL, i sent you a PM about 2 days ago that has a link for an 85 xcab in new mexico. Dont know if you got it. Thats one i considered buying but didnt. I know he's selling it for 2000 with an extra 22re motor, and an extra tranny.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
smack that plug with a hammer a few times to break the bond, then REALLY clamp some vise grips on there.
If that fails, notch it with an angle grinder and use a big effin flathead screw driver.
And last but not least have someone weld a nut on it.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
smack that plug with a hammer a few times to break the bond, then REALLY clamp some vise grips on there.
If that fails, notch it with an angle grinder and use a big effin flathead screw driver.
And last but not least have someone weld a nut on it.
thanks for the tips but as i said above, i aint a welder and already suggested welding a nut on there lol which also means, i have no welder friends. as for the angle grinder, i dont have one of those either. Making slits into the bolt was the first thing that crossed my mind but i dont have a grinder. I've also smacked the hell out of that bolt and still no budging. I'll try again tomorrow but i dont know how much harder i can smack that B**** haha.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:55 AM

yes i got the pm ty i checked it out im gonna pas on that one im still looking
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Ok here are the knuckles. The first is of the right front and the second is of the left front. I'm pretty sure the inner seal inside the axle is cracked or nonexistant lol cause these things are just filthy. Thoughts?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM

thats what mine looked like, my seal had a small ding in it form who knows what, it was enough for a slow leak. thats what grease, road grime and gear oil look like hahaha

i got the TG knuckle service and bearing kit and they look factory new
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
thats what mine looked like, my seal had a small ding in it form who knows what, it was enough for a slow leak. thats what grease, road grime and gear oil look like hahaha

i got the TG knuckle service and bearing kit and they look factory new
Is it tough fixing the seal? Well not the seal itself but the process to get to that seal lol
Old 09-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
May as well do a full knuckle rebuild with Marlin's beefy inner seal. Do the bearings while you are in there.
Nice truck by the way!!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM

did it wit a buddy took a SOLID weekend, i am a novice, he is seasoned with the toy front axle. there are write-ups all over yt about it.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
May as well do a full knuckle rebuild with Marlin's beefy inner seal. Do the bearings while you are in there.
Nice truck by the way!!
I have to wait for a full weekend, and by weekend i mean a series of days that i'm off of work lol. and Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM

So back to that drain plug....that little bastard still doesnt want to come off. Tried the vice grips again, nothing. Tried hammering at it again, nothing. Drilled a hole, and used an extractor bit....nothing. The plug is too soft for the extractor or something So there goes any plans for changing the oil soon. I have to wait now until i get paid so i can pick up an oil pan at the auto parts store or buy it online. bummer
Old 09-05-2010, 07:47 PM

bigger vise-grips and put them on with all your strengh. thats about all you can do to get it off. and i have only found extracter bits to work if you drill all the way throught.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by broncrider
bigger vise-grips and put them on with all your strengh. thats about all you can do to get it off. and i have only found extracter bits to work if you drill all the way throught.
I dont know if they make bigger vice grips haha and i nearly took off half my palm trying to get the vice grips on. Any tighter and i'd need a bionic hand lol I guess i'll try drilling it all the way through ONLY when near pay day....cause if all that oil comes out and the extractor STILL doesnt work...wouldnt the oil inside start to dry out from the drain plug hole?? If not then i'll do that tomorrow lol like i said, if anything, i have to wait until next payday in order to change the oil pan if all this continues to fail. I've never had so much trouble changing motor oil in my life!! lol
Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM

How about a big pipe wrench?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM

well wen i do find mine i no to look at the oil pan before i buy lol

ps nebulae87 i work form 12pm to 6 am and most times im in flash chat i see your up late sum times hop in

Last edited by coolfool; 09-05-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by soarerjzz30
How about a big pipe wrench?
i dont think i could get the pipe wrench on tight enough if i decided to use one. This plug looks like a blob of metal. If vice grips cant do it, i dont think a pipe wrench would do any good. All the vice grips do is tear of the metal even more lol. I'm telling you....its as if they welding the plug into the oil pan! I've never had anything quite as stubborn as this ANYWHERE on a vehicle.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by coolfool
well wen i do find mine i no to look at the oil pan before i buy lol
hahahahaha RIGHT! lol A 45 min job has now turned into 2 days +
FML
Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 AM

what happened you left chat bro you did not even say good by lol

ps that link you gave me to that 85 truck you ever call him ?

Last edited by coolfool; 09-06-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Nebulae87's 1985 SR5 4X4 Build Up Thread