84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Nebulae87's 1985 SR5 4X4 Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Nebulae87's 1985 SR5 4X4 Build Up Thread

So I just brought this back to texas 2 days ago now, as i picked it up and towed it back from Arizona. The greatest trip i ever had not because it was with 2 friends and we had a great time but because i got to stare at this all the way home while it sat on the trailer.
Its a 1985 Toyota Pickup, 4x4 SR5, 5 speed
Nothing really done to it except for its 2" lift. It has rancho shocks and....other than that its pretty much stock. Also the grille is custom which looks pretty cool but i'm gonna take it out. Anybody wanna buy it? Anyway, i'm planning on making this into a Back To the Future clone. I remember when i first saw that truck in the movie as a kid....and ever since, i've been in love with it. So this exact truck (mine) was a dream come true and something i've been wanting forever. Cant wait to spend my paycheck on it. if any of you can give me some pointers or have something to add as to what i should do first etc, by all means feel free to. I've never dealt with toyota cars/trucks in general. So as i'm doing work to this gorgeous truck, i'll keep you all posted with photos and updates

Last edited by nebulae87; 08-29-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 PM

i have to tell you that i now dislike you lol i am still looking for this to do the same project if you look at my avatar that the truck from the movie. you got a good truck from the looks of it . im in south fl and i have been looking all across the states for this so far no real luck.
Howe much did you end up paying for it and is it currently running? Howe did you end up finding it i have been looking on craigslist/ebay and auto trader
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coolfool
i have to tell you that i now dislike you lol i am still looking for this to do the same project if you look at my avatar that the truck from the movie. you got a good truck from the looks of it . im in south fl and i have been looking all across the states for this so far no real luck.
Howe much did you end up paying for it and is it currently running? Howe did you end up finding it i have been looking on craigslist/ebay and auto trader
you should try search tempest it searches all of craigslist everywhere
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM

haha ya i know how you feel. I "disliked" many other people before i got this too lol. I paid 2300 for it and yea it runs great. No leaks anywhere or anything. I was looking for this exact truck for months and only came across 1 but the engine gave me 2nd thoughts so i passed. Luckily i did or else i wouldnt have this sitting in my garage I found it on craigslist which is the only place that i looked. Here in the southwest, snow and rain is kind of rare so rust is almost non existant compared to other trucks you might find. Bascially check in all the cities located within NEW MEXICO, TEXAS and ARIZONA. They have quite a few. Most are 84's and 86's but there have been a few 85's. Depending on the condition you're willing buy it in, you might find one that suits you Good Luck and stay tuned for some updates. It might help you with your future build
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM

ok quick update guys....actually not an update but more of a checklist of what i wanna do. If any of you have some tips or know of any stores, great products etc, feel free to let me know.

CHECKLIST:
Clean up the surface rust in the truck bed near the tailgate
Clean up that engine bay (any tips?)
Clean the undercarriage (any tips?)

As you can see, i'm not doing anything drastic to it as of it. I just wanna clean her up a bit along wish some fluid flushes etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. I plan on using this as a daily driver and not as a rock crawler. The occasional off roading....but mainly to go to work and back. Any tips on cleaning that engine? I dont want to get water where ti shouldnt be and since i've never done this, i dont wanna do something stupid. lol
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Also....is it possible to put the sail vent windows given that i have power windows?? Or would i need to install a non sr5 door panel? Also, Have any of you come across those side mirrors that are bolted on by two rods?? Looks like a " < " shape bracket and the mirror itself is quite bigger. I dont know if they have a special name or what but i've seen some here and there on other peoples toyotas.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by nebulae87
Also....is it possible to put the sail vent windows given that i have power windows?? Or would i need to install a non sr5 door panel? Also, Have any of you come across those side mirrors that are bolted on by two rods?? Looks like a " < " shape bracket and the mirror itself is quite bigger. I dont know if they have a special name or what but i've seen some here and there on other peoples toyotas.
You can get them from most auto supply shops, or online. They're usually sold as Ford F Series replacement mirrors. I think they're called "Swing Lock Paddle", or something like that.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM

sounds like your going to be having fun and use i have been looking the best way i can find to look is craiglook my key search i do is 1985 Toyota 4x4 or 85 Toyota 4x4 so farm i have found a few that look ok but haven't been able to find the right one you sure you dont want to sell yours for $2500 lol jk
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM

put those bed rails and the grille back in the chrome closet hahahaha, engine brite and a brush for the motor cover electrical remove battery and wash with hose. clean under carriage?? take to a car wash??? i almost want to say who cares, hopefully youre just going to dirty it back up. herculiner/rhinoline/line-x the bed

welcome to club 85

Last edited by gary_the_4runner; 09-01-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:08 AM

sounds like your going to be having fun and use i have been looking the best way i can find to look is craiglook my key search i do is 1985 Toyota 4x4 or 85 Toyota 4x4 so farm i have found a few that look ok but haven't been able to find the right one you sure you dont want to sell yours for $2500 lol jk
haha ya i wouldnt sell this for 3500 lol Its pretty much priceless for me as of now Also try searching for just TOYOTA 4x4. thats what i did...some people for whatever reason sometimes dont include the year in the title lol. I know that there's 1 FOR SURE in roswell. He's including an extra tranny and 22re. Its a red 85 xcab. Not sure if its an sr5 though. He wants 2000. Go check it out
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
put those bed rails and the grille back in the chrome closet hahahaha, engine brite and a brush for the motor cover electrical remove battery and wash with hose. clean under carriage?? take to a car wash??? i almost want to say who cares, hopefully youre just going to dirty it back up. herculiner/rhinoline/line-x the bed

welcome to club 85
haha believe me....i would have never put the chrome on the truck. I've never liked chrome on ANYTHING! Thanks for the engine cleaning tips. I'll be sure to jot this down. And i'm glad to FINALLY....be a member of the 85 yota club! woo lol Its almost surreal to walk into my garage and seeing this sitting in there. I never imagined getting the exact truck i wanted. For awhile there i was going to settle for an 84....am i glad i didnt!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 AM

On side note.....Whats the best way to clean surface rust off a flat bed without having take off the bed off? Do those spray removers work well? Saw a couple at autozone.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Steam Cleaning would be the way to go for engine bay and undercarriage. Hot water and soap does a good job also. Just takes time and elbow grease.

Or combine hot water with what Gary the 4runner says.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:50 PM

I ran into this a while back when looking for ways to clean my engine bay. Works great.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2680235

Not the best example but was able to get the inner fender wells and fire wall clean.

Before:

After:

Last edited by soarerjzz30; 09-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Soarjzz30, thanks a lot man. Your engine bay looks great as does the guy in the honda from the link you posted. He said to use wd-40, is that what you used? Because i already bought some cans of engine degreaser at autozone earlier today.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Soarjzz30, also what did you cover when you cleaned it? battery, alt, dist,? I've never cleaned an engine like this before and i dont wanna do something stupid all because i want to get done fast. Like they say, measure twice cut once.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 PM

UPDATE::
So I decided today to do some small yet important stuff. Change the oil and oil filter, and change the plugs. Along with degreasing the engine bay etc. Simple stuff right?? Boy was i wrong. Either the previous owner tightened the drain plug on the oil pan with a damn pipe wrench or he used freakin loc tite. This plug isnt budging!!! The plug was pretty battered before i even put a wrench to it....but didnt think anything of it. I tried open wrenches....sockets, a hammer, vice grips! NOTHING! So now i'm thinking i have to wait until pay day so i can buy a 4" extension for my ratchet and a new oil pan because this plug F'd me over. I was thinking of using a dremel tool and putting a couple of notches into the bolt head but i dont have one. Maybe thats an excuse to buy one ) lol either way, i'd rather just replace the oil pan. I aint a welder or else i'd weld a nut onto this crapped out plug. Anyone have any other suggestions?? I have 2 weeks anyway until i get paid
Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Soarjzz30, thanks a lot man. Your engine bay looks great as does the guy in the honda from the link you posted. He said to use wd-40, is that what you used? Because i already bought some cans of engine degreaser at autozone earlier today.
Yes I did use WD-40 and a sponge with a scotch pad on one side, I had some caked on dirt and grease. I would say go ahead and give the degreaser a try for your engine, probably wouldn't hurt.

Soarjzz30, also what did you cover when you cleaned it? battery, alt, dist,? I've never cleaned an engine like this before and i dont wanna do something stupid all because i want to get done fast. Like they say, measure twice cut once.

Well, in my case I was in the middle of an engine rebuild so I had a empty engine bay and plenty of time to unbolt and move whatever was in the way. If your going to use WD don't soak down the whole bay/engine at once just take your time any try to do one section/area at a time. Remove the battery if you have to, probably wouldn't hurt to cover those items up. Also try and keep the WD of any plastics.

Last edited by soarerjzz30; 09-04-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by soarerjzz30
Yes I did use WD-40 and a sponge with a scotch pad on one side, I had some caked on dirt and grease. I would say go ahead and give the degreaser a try for your engine, probably wouldn't hurt.

Well, in my case I was in the middle of an engine rebuild so I had a empty engine bay and plenty of time to unbolt and move whatever was in the way. If your going to use WD don't soak down the whole bay/engine at once just take your time any try to do one section/area at a time. Remove the battery if you have to, probably wouldn't hurt to cover those items up. Also try and keep the WD of any plastics.
Gotcha. Thanks a lot man. I'll post some pics once its done. Most likely after I buy a new oil pan
Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 PM

if it was me id try id do 1 of 2 things lock tight a socket to it lol are drill the center of it and try o get it out but do drill do deep and you need a small bit

Quick Reply: Nebulae87's 1985 SR5 4X4 Build Up Thread