84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

While I was mucking around last night I didn't have enough light take any good pictures of the new front blinker I had come across. I thought I would show you that there are different styles around, even for these old Hilux's, as you can see I still need to adjust the bull bar, still a bit low for the moment.

That is all I can do for a few days, I have to go back to work again. Permanent after noon shift means the days are slept away and the mozzies are in force when I get home, so nothing much gets done then either.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 AM

Talking

I started making up my filter box today, seeing as I have a long week end I had better do something, this will carry a pod filter when it is done, but it will also be a sealed unit I hope. The only sad part is the light fading on me pretty quickly now so some of the pictures never turned out the way I wanted them to be. but you will get the picture anyway. hehe..

Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Well this is how the filter sits in the box I made up, I also made a rubber gasket for the lid and, I know some may think too many bolts, but that is just me. I also attacked the passenger side header while I was at it, and it doesn't look like much clearance, I can get my finger between the header and the chassis now. I am going to try and fire it up this week end, that in itself will be a milestone for me.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang is an understatement
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 AM

Talking

Not a great deal to say today, the engine is now running and the transmission work good, and now the sanding has started in earnest. So I now have a rather sore shoulder for my efforts, I do have a couple of questions to ask however. (for all who have the injected Holden 5.0ltr) I have all the fuel lines plumbed in and most of the vacuum hoses hooked up but I have no idea where 3 of these hoses go to. 1 is a very small hose coming from behind the intake manifold, almost goes all the way to the front of the engine. the other 2 is on the throttle body itself, 1 says VAC and the other just has a rubber elbow on it. Can someone tell me what these are and where they go, if need be I will post some pics tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Talking

Today is the day I bastardised my headers and made the old 308 exhaust fit the injected motor, only the engine pipe, the rest is still fairly new really. Anyway I removed the small piece from the collector and put an elbow on it, then fitted the flange back under the car a bit more. I had no trouble at all with the drivers side. I do not have a video camera that I can put into the computer, so I took a snap of the motor running, no shroud on there yet. I am still trying to make one up that I am happy with. I figured it would be useless showing all the pics of the thing being sanded down, so I wont bore you with those. My next major drama will be the lighting at the front of the car, but all in all, it is slowly coming together.

Clive.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

Talking

Well today I managed to start on the radiator shroud, and it went better than I thought it would. I then put some of the covers on to see how things were going to look when it finally gets assembled for the last time. I have another question for you all. the engine will not start unless I squirt a bit of aerostart into the manifold, then it springs into life and doesn't miss a beat, this even happens when the engine is warmed up. Any ideas would be useful.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Talking

Hi there, I haven't left the planet. Just been a bit bust for a while. Painting has started and I have been rubbing things I never knew I would be rubbing. Anyway the colour has started to go on and I finally finished the snorkel and it now wears the colour I intend to replace all the black bits with. It turns out that the problem with my computer in the car is a wrong power wire feeding it. I thought it was an ignition on, but it turned out to be an accessory feed instead. They still don't know how I started it because when the starter motor was engaged the computer was turned off. And now that is done I can move on.

Still have to wire up the head lights and a few small details. Then it is time to start making up a floor consul to hold the rest of my junk
Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
DANG!! That thing is SICK SICK!!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Well as you can imagine, things are in low gear for now. I am orining out small dents and repainting all the car again, and having trouble deciding on colours for the lion, as some of my ideas fail to give me what I was looking for.and some of the electrics are also having the time of their life causing me head aches 1 after the other I had to put my balast for the HID lights outside the engine bay., I also have the flares painted the flares in metalic gunmetal as well so it is coming together. I will be working on another vehicle next week end so that bwill slow things down a bit. The chrome doorhandles turned up today as well and therefore gives me the chance to get the doors finished, new rubbers on on the menu next.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
attention to detail .. lookin' great Clive

Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Talking

Well I have cleaned up the guard and cut a length of fuel hose to put around the edge of the hole for the snorkel, it just gives it a better look than just a hole cut into the guard.

Then put the snorkel in place and bolt it down, I also had a play with the lions head, I like the idea, I just need to work on the design a bit more and make that line a lot thinner. Everything inside the border will be done in holographic metal-flake, I hope. I am also putting the flares back on the rear guards as well so don't pay too much attention to the large area of nothing in the guards. They will be mostly covered by the flares, also in metalic gunmetal as well.

With all of its parts put in place, I think the ram head sits a bit too high, not sure what to do there yet, but it is all coming together now at least.

Still got a lot of rubbish to get rid of in the back, I must admit the snorkel didn't look so bad with the roof bar on top, but it looks a whole lot taller without it. I may just bolt a new roof bar on top, maybe make a basket to put up there as well, might tone down the height of the ram on top.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Talking

Hi people, I have been playing silly buggers with the paint and if you can recall the outline of my design, I thought the line was a bit heavy for my liking, but then again it was done with an aerosol can of auto paint. I decided to finally try out my original idea of using the air brush, and it gave me the result I was looking for.

This is the aerosol can^, and the air brush are the rest of the shots. You may notice that I am painting all the plastics in metallic gun metal. I will also be doing the same with the bull bar and the rear bar when I get it made.

The holographic metal flake does not show up to well under the flash at night so I will post more later with sunlight to shine it up a bit. Because the metal flake is an additive it leaves the paint with a fairly coarse surface, I will be going over this with some clear to smooth it out and really bring out the shine as well.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 PM

Talking

Hello, I have been sanding more plastics, and with heat lamps on I have painted all my plastics in gunmetal. I have even done the plastic vents behind the doors in gunmetal, so it all matches up.

I have finally sanded the side down to get rid of the blue pattern on the side, and got the air brush out again and redone the design I am staying with. You can't see it in this light but, it is also got the holographic metal flake in it as well. It has been raining all day today so I can't take it outside to show you the full effect of the metal flake, but it will come soon anyway.

I am pleased to say the pictures do not do it justice at all in this light, so we will all have to wait and see.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Talking

Well I have to say the weather here is being a real pain in the rear. It has been blowing like hell and the sun has only peeped through a couple of times, typical when you want it to come out I suppose. Hopefully next week end will see a different weather condition.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM

DANG!! This looks fricking awesome!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
looks great Clive

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Clive, did you change the material used inside the rear of the 4runner? You know that wraps around the sides around the rollbar and cubby compartments in the back. I have the stock plastic junk and I have been wanting to substitute it for something different than plastic because it cracks easy.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Talking

Sorry I made a double post.

Last edited by dunnarunner; 06-19-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by yodercrawler55
Clive, did you change the material used inside the rear of the 4runner? You know that wraps around the sides around the rollbar and cubby compartments in the back. I have the stock plastic junk and I have been wanting to substitute it for something different than plastic because it cracks easy.
I changed a lot of things, I replaced all the door cards with aluminium sheeting and covered it in carpet, and I did the same thing with the plastics inside as well. my 4 Runner was a real mess when I bought it and I do take it off road as well and through the water and I didn't want new door cards going all furry on me so that is why I changed so much of it, and to maintain the little cubby holes, I cut out a door the same size as what was there and put a cupboard hinge on it, and a magnetic clasp to hold it shut.

I have also changed the hood and done the same as I have done with the sides and I think it will look alright. Time will tell I suppose.

Quick Reply: dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread