84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMAZING work man! You should think about lifting it just a little big, possibly fitting some 33x12.50 tires on there? You have the power to roast 35's!

I like the stock tail lights better, but to each his own! Kudos
Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I have been a bit slack lately, I am doing another 6 nights at 12 hours each and I am sleeping the days away, but I have made a somewhat feeble attempt at doing something. Mind you the days I have off are not being very good by raining as well. Anyway I put a sunvisor on the car, the Mrs says it looks like the car is ready to watch the tennis. Hehehe, I have the new carpet in as well and started making up a floor consul as well, I still have a long way to go yet.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Talking

I have been a bit slack again but I am still going, I have started to line the canopy with carpet now. and it is looking pretty good to me. I have got to try and get to it again pretty soon, the only draw back is, these 12 hour shifts don't leave you with much time to get things done. Oh well, how else will I pay for it all hehe

Last edited by dunnarunner; 09-15-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM

I have a question for anyone that may know, I have come to a brick wall about rubbers here in Australia. I need to find a place to buy new rubbers for my tailgate, for both the window and tailgate itself. Is there a place in USA that re manufacture old Toyota rubbers? I would really be grateful if someone could help me out with an address, or even if you do them yourself.

Clive.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Talking

:wabbit:Hi all, it has been a little too damp to do too much.
I have been playing with some glue and carpet again while I had the chance. and I managed to fit some Toyota Celica seats into the car as well.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Talking

I have decided to upgrade the single non vented brakes to something much more desirable. and I also changed the front springs, the ones that were in it were as solid as the chassis, if not more solid. my only suspension has always been my tyres until now. Gone from 6 leaves (almost full length on them all) to a 4 leaf varied length.

And that was my day off, I need to go to work now and recover. Hehehe.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
good job there Clive .. lookin good .
I dont know of any companies that sell the wheatherstrips , other then Toyota

Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That`s an interesting sun visor, ive never seen one like it, whats it made out of ?.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:04 AM

I did decide to do a bit more again and started to assemble my rear bumper air tank and start getting it together for the tow hitch and spare wheel carrier, not much to show for now as fab work is rather slow.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 AM

The visor is made from aluminium mesh, fairly common in Australia, I found a place that still makes them as they have been getting a bit hard to find new these days.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 AM

Talking

Well now I have the tow hitch mount in place, I can at least tow something if I need to, and at the back of it I have made an earth point.

Then just so you know what is happening the rear bar is also the air tank and the hose nipple is the feed and the union you see is for the pressure switch. The bar below is more of a bit of added protection, and I think it looks OK too.

I still have to weld on some 45 degree elbows to finish it off, but it is back to work for me for a while now.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 AM

Talking

Well I got a chance to attack the old bomb again, this time trying to get the rear bumper done. The first pic is the way I have chosen to finish the sides off. and then with a nice even space all the way around and then a bit of a brace to the rear section, where there will be a metal plate pit into it so I can mount all my plugs.

Then i will mount my reversing lights in between the 2 bars at the rear and then a couple of plates welded on the bottom bar to carry the anderson plugs.

That is all I have time for this week, so I will catch you all later.

Clive.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Talking

I have about 90% of the bumper done now, it has been getting a bit of rust on it so I have chucked a light coat of paint on it to stop it getting too bad. So now I have most of it tacked together, I can think about removing it and welding it all out. I still have to make up the spare wheel carrier yet but I have run out of time this week at least.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
bumper looks great .... NICE work !!

I sent you a PM , but you havent answered it ? PM me bud !!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM

dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Wow thats some creativity going on with your rig, you have me wanting to do more to my truck.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Wink

:wabbit:Well first things first I suppose, I thought long and hard, #-o and Ooooh didn't it hurt. I was going to put a sheet of flat steel accross the rear bumper to carry the trailer plugs, and I thought about it some more and decided,,,,,,Nah, I will use thin checker plate, and I thought some more and decided, bugger it I will use mesh, I shouldn't have to spend ages trying to get all the holes drilled in a nice neat line, so in the mesh went, and I even impressed myself. :-* Then I cut out some mounting plates for my spare wheel carrier and I am still working on them to make them fit where I want them to be. Then I will weld some sheet metal over the mounting plates, to give it a nice finished look.

Now it has a coat of paint on it I think it will come up better anyway.
Then I cut out a couple of peices of steel to mount my spare wheel carrier, I will finish them off tomorrow.

Then I mounted some gauges, and made room for some more. Then it was time to get all my warning lights mounted as well, Just not sure where to put them just yet.

That will do me for today.

Clive.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Its coming along amazingly! That bumper rocks and the screen adds a nice touch. Looks killer. Good work
Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 AM

Talking

Hi there everyone, I thought I had better move on to the next pile of jobs around the place. First I had to cut out some steel and make up a battery box, big enough to carry a N70ZZ battery.

Then I had decided to place it into the rear floor, where it would be out of the way for a while, then fit it into place and weld it in.

Then I thought while I was at this end I had better finish welding that rear bumper, and do a bit of plumbing. The first pics show the lines coming from the tank, into a Tee piece and 1 branch going to the rear nitto fitting on the bumper, the other end will be going to the nitto fitting on the bull bar.

The other side is going to the compressor, and there will be an air pressure guage going in there as well. There will be a switch in the dash to activate it and it will have a max pressure of 105psi because that is the pressure switch turn off point.

I will have more done tomorrow so I will have more pics done by then as well.

Clive.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:41 AM

Wink

Well people, it is time to show you why the battery had to be re located, rather than having a battery post loaded with wires as it was, I copied another idea and used a junction box with a buzz bar inside it and branched off the things normally overloading the positive post of the battery. then using a 140amp wire I sent it through the amp meter and then back to the battery.

Then after making sure everything was right I sealed it up after welding with silicon, then I made a rubber covered lid and screwed it al down, this means that if I do go through some stinky water, well it shouldn't get into the car because it is sealed from the cabin. It does have drain holes in it and it also has vents drilled into the top of the box as well, (not the lid.) and as you can see not many wires in there.

I also got a 150lpm air compressor, and it has been mounted up under the car as well, as you can see there is also plenty of room above the diff with the battery box as well, got a bit more cleaning up to do so more to come tomorrow.

Clive.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 AM

Talking

Well I finally found a place for my bank of lights anyway, I have now found a problem with my head lights now so I have to sort that problem out now. I have also fitted my plugs and hoses to the rear bar and the reversing lights as well, more later on.

Quick Reply: dunnarunner's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread