84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Cabot's '85 SR5 Extended Cab 4x4 (re)Build

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordered all the seals that I need except for the IFS power steering box. I really want to rebuild it before I put it in, but seal kit that I mentioned a couple of posts ago seems to be no longer available.

If anyone knows where to get that, that would help tremendously.

In other news: I found the ball while sweeping my kitchen.

Last edited by cabot; 04-30-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 AM

Over in this thread on pirate, there is some discussion of steering box seals. This place Prosteering seems to have them.

I posted a thread in the 86- forum about this. It seems like I'm one of the first to run into Toyota having discontinued this seal kit, as that thread isn't getting any hits. Someone over there recommended Toyotapartsovertock.com. I emailed those dudes just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure they're going to tell me the same thing Villagetoyota.com, Toyota of South Atlanta, and Toyota of McDonough told me.

Edit: I talked to the folks at Toyotapartsoverstock.com. That seal kit is discontinued. I ordered from Prosteering. The lady on the phone was really nice.

Last edited by cabot; 04-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 PM

I painted my hub dials and re assembled the bodies.

Also, there's this...
Old 05-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a friend that works at a part store and see he can get the seals. So far I have been able to dodge that repair. For the ball for your hubs, you can use the ball out of a 1/4 drive ratchet or extention. I need to add your hose parts number to my parts list I keep. Thanks for posting those.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have a friend that works at a part store and see he can get the seals. So far I have been able to dodge that repair. For the ball for your hubs, you can use the ball out of a 1/4 drive ratchet or extention. I need to add your hose parts number to my parts list I keep. Thanks for posting those.
Terry, I ordered the seals through Prosteering for $52 a set. I picked up two just for good measure. I decided that our might be useful to post the part numbers for all this stuff, so that I can find them again in the future. I'm glad you found some of that useful. I'm like an information hoarder.

I did find my ball, and I had picked up a couple of extras, since Marlin had them cheap and I was ordering a front axle rebuild kit.

I ordered Continental belt 13x875 to replace the power steering belt that's been discontinued through Toyota.

My 30x40 steel building is coming the 7th. I still have to do a bunch of scrapping and have a slab poured before I start putting that guy up.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Congrats on the new building. Not sure if you know what garage door you want, the roll up or the standard door that has the tracks. I went with the roll up door as I did not want the tracks and regret it. The roll up door you can not insulate and there is a big gap at the top when the door is closed. Wish I would of known of that when I had mine built. Eventually I will get the track door.

Something else I wish I would of known at the time but cant think of it now. If you have any quetions about or other suggestions I might could help out on that.
The following users liked this post:
cabot (03-15-2020)
Old 05-03-2015, 04:44 AM

I got the insulated roll up door in 12'Hx10'W. It's not that bad to add more doors. I have a 24'x24' shop that is piled to the brim with a mix of junk and tools but is about to fall in. This one is going next to that one, then that one is getting re-skinned. I've also got a refrigerated trailer fringe the 50's that needs to go. It's a huge mess.

I got a pile of parts from Kyle Edwards at Toyota South Atlanta yesterday. That he's a really helpful parts guy.

I also got all this climate controll stuff from Toyota of McDonough. They have good prices and online ordering like VillageToyota or something. After work, I installed that stuff in my currently removed dash.

Here's the old, broken stuff. I have a couple of extra clips now.

The part number for the control assembly is 55910-89136.

The part number for the climate control face plate is 55519-89143. The back of it is stamped with a bunch of other part numbers. I haven't tried looking any of those up.

The part numbers for the four control cables are 55907-89116, 55908-89105, 55906-89110, 55909-89113. Right now, I can only recall that the blue one (listed first) hooks to the heater control valve under the hood.

At some point they changed the design of this cable and the control panel.

Here are the new control cables and the A/C electronics all installed on the new control panel.

I have no idea where this hose goes. I was looking for that hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake. I made a typo ordering this thing online and ordered hose 2, rather than hose 1. Jeez. The correct number is 12262-35030.

Last edited by cabot; 10-14-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thread! I'm still on page one but I saw this and wanted to ask before I forgot:

Originally Posted by cabot
I’ve mentioned a couple of times that the wiring in this truck is pretty hacked up. I find crappy wiring pretty much everywhere I see wiring that I hadn’t before. I was telling my Toyota-Tech friend this, and he suggested that I build a whole new wiring harness from the truck’s wiring diagram to "save myself some time and money". I told him that I thought his idea was a bit over my head. At that point he said that he “slightly gets off on wiring,” that he can get all the appropriate connectors, and that he would love to help me build a new harness for the whole truck. We’re doing that three weekends from now! Good bye and good riddance to any and all electrical demons.
Does your friend still have access to the right connectors? I'd like to do order some for mine so I can build a new harness myself. The more wiring I uncover, the worse shape I think my electrical is in. Not as much from hack installs and splices (though there's at least one of those) but mostly from age and plastic connector deterioration.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Nice thread! I'm still on page one but I saw this and wanted to ask before I forgot:
Does your friend still have access to the right connectors?
Hey, CamTom. Thank you! That wiring harness rebuild never actually happened. I couldn't ever make it over to Nashville to do that. He is still a Toyota tech. His interest is mostly in things like 80's Supras. My wiring turned out not to be that bad.

I should find out about that though.

Last edited by cabot; 05-03-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cabot
Hey, CamTom. Thank you! That wiring harness rebuild never actually happened. I couldn't ever make it over to Nashville to do that. He is still a Toyota tech. His interest is mostly in things like 80's Supras. My wiring turned out not to be that bad.

I should find out about that though.
Good deal, I'm glad yours turned out ok.

If you get a chance to find out and wouldn't mind PMing his contact info I'd be much obliged. Also, where were you sourcing your colored wire?

I've got a few connectors held together with paperclips and superglue, which seems to be a good long-term temporary fix, haha.

I've got a goal to slowly build new harnesses for the whole truck so that when I get around to restoring sections of the truck I can just pull the old wire and lay down the new and minimize down time since it's my DD.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 AM

This place has quite a variety of striped wire.

This place British Wiring has even more than the other place.

I just realized that I have a hydro assist ram sitting around, and this high steer has a tab on it for that. I totally forgot about that. I'll need to modify my power steering pump and and tap this IFS steering box when I rebuild them. Here is a thread about how to do that.
There is a really great article on rebuilding the IFS power steering box right here.

Here are a couple of posts about positioning the power steering box on Pirate:
Thread 1
Thread 2

It turns out that all I need to set up that hydro assist are a 1/4" NPT tap, a 7/16" drill bit, two hydraulic lines, 4 fittings and cooler. I've ordered everything except the cooler at this point. The Hydro Assist on the Cheap thread on the Marlin Forum has all the info on how to get that together.

Last edited by cabot; 05-04-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM

These lift blocks date to the late 70's. My dad would have had them on a Dodge I believe.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The hose you have in the package, if you can get a picture of it out of the package, I might recognize it.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM

I ran into a good deal on an e-locker rear end from a taco.

Let's see here... I need to make a list of things to do to get this thing back rolling.

Edit: I've been working on this thing sporadically for the past four years. Sometimes I let it go so long between updating the thread that I lose track of what I've said without re-reading everything. I'm going to take all of my to do lists from different posts and migrate them into the first post.

It appears that a Saginaw PS Pump is the way to go once I go to hydro assist; I'm holding off for a while on that until I source an e-locker for the front and pull that axle apart again.
Pirate thread on converting to Saginaw TC style power steering pump.

Last edited by cabot; 10-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

You will be surprised at what having a list like tht will do for our time when working on it. It speeds things up so much faster. When you are out in the shop, you cant think of three things. If you get hung up on one thing, you can take a break from it and go to another item.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Today, I picked up two of three orders that should have between waiting for me at the Toyota dealership. I'm still missing three hoses that I ordered back on 5/1.

I got my second birfield to axle housing brass bushing (9909-70067) and the hose that runs from the intake to the valve cover vent (12262-35030).

Last edited by cabot; 05-15-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 PM

I got all my parts except a few things to change over to the TC steering pump. The truck has been on hold, as I've been working on my 2002 Volkswagen quite a lot lately. The high pressure fuel pump on the common rail diesel in my 2010 digested itself, and when this thing goes, it recirculates metal shavings through the whole fuel system basically totaling the car dealer only fuel system parts if Volkswagen doesn't pay for it. It's a "sort of" recall. The NHTSA case on this didn't really go anywhere, but it is an acknowledged problem with common rail motors now. In my case Volkswagen did cover it--parts and labor. Anyway, I needed something to drive and was thinking I could get that thing going before the dealer would be done with the fuel system repairs on the 2010. I did... sort of. Now, I have a whole garage full of exploded car, rather than just a half.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM

Jeez. It's been a minute

I'm moving at the end of next month, so I have about 35 days to get this thing running again.

I put the rearend together except for bump stops. I used OME springs. I have to say: My shackle angle is total garbage. I'm hoping that improves the first time I drive it and is helped more later by building a plate bumper.

I still have the interior and coolant system torn out from needing to have the radiator repaired and having the custom heater core fabricated. I've got all the parts, but... you know... The suspension and drivetrain are the fun part.

I moved on to the front end. I should have take before pictures. This thing was covered in 1/4" of grease-mud and filled with milkshaked gear oil from hub to hub. All the seals were blown out. Top trunion bearings were seized. It could probably use some new rotors, but I'll go to IFS rotors and calipers when they really go dead. One is more worn than the other, but neither one is scored or warped.

I got to the point that I needed my high steer arms to put the axle further back together, but they needed to be cleaned up and painted.

I replaced all these ridiculously annoying hoses in this area while waiting for paint to dry. It's way easier to drop the A/C compressor down and let it sit on the frame rail to get to these.

I decided that while I'm painting things, I ought to clear coat this pitman arm, clean up my IFS steering box and swap this thing on there.

I couldn't break the pitman arm but loose, so I ran up to the tire shop and got them to hit it with the air impact. It took a total of 10 minutes, drive time included.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Turns out the puller that I bought previously to get this arm off the steering box is too small. Off to the parts store to find something that works.

Parts store had one that worked. A few cranks with the breaker bar and a couple of smacks with the sledge and the IFS arm is off.

Last edited by cabot; 09-21-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM

It took me longer than it should have, but I got the front axle back together and in. I rebuilt the hubs like over a year ago. The ends on the tie rod had to be replaced. I used some used ubolt flip plates from some guy on pirate. I had to drill new center holes.

The IFS box that I have didn't appear to leak. I cleaned it up and threw a first coat of paint on it. I ran out of Rustoleum, so I moved on to rebuilding the leaking power steering pump from my truck.

Here's a thread detailing how to reseal that thing.

It turns out that I have three seal kits for the box but none for the pump. I cleaned everything up and went to the parts store to order one. It should be in tomorrow. I need to take my power steering pressure line to a hydraulic shop to be reworked.

After that, it's plate the frame, mount the box, mount the shock hoops.

I'm taking suggestions as to where to mount a heatsink style power steering cooler.

Last edited by cabot; 10-15-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabot's '85 SR5 Extended Cab 4x4 (re)Build