Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Tan '81 SR5 driveway revival

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I have moved the rear leaf mounts again and they are looking pretty good. Now when the bed is unloaded, they are about vertical and when I load it up they flex back but have plenty of room for hitting bumps. Going to drive from TX-CO and back with a couple enduro motorcycels in the back which should help break-in the leafs a bit.

My current problem is the gauge lights have stopped working. I've tried the fuse. I used the search feature and learned about the dimmer switch sometimes being the culprit so I checked mine and got some wacky OHM readings so I removed the two wires going into it and just connected them together but that didn't fix anything.

I put in fresh bulbs, fuse and am not sure what other connections to check. My turn signal lights blink, as do my oil, high beam and seat belt lights. The gauge lights in the center console for the oil pressure gauge and volt meter are not coming on. Any bright ideas?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Braparus
Okay, I have moved the rear leaf mounts again and they are looking pretty good. Now when the bed is unloaded, they are about vertical and when I load it up they flex back but have plenty of room for hitting bumps. Going to drive from TX-CO and back with a couple enduro motorcycels in the back which should help break-in the leafs a bit.

My current problem is the gauge lights have stopped working. I've tried the fuse. I used the search feature and learned about the dimmer switch sometimes being the culprit so I checked mine and got some wacky OHM readings so I removed the two wires going into it and just connected them together but that didn't fix anything.

I put in fresh bulbs, fuse and am not sure what other connections to check. My turn signal lights blink, as do my oil, high beam and seat belt lights. The gauge lights in the center console for the oil pressure gauge and volt meter are not coming on. Any bright ideas?
Hmmm? Have you tried wiring the thing directly from a 12V DC source? That would at least eliminate that the wiring inside the gauge cluster itself has become loose.

I don't think my SR5 gauge set lights ever worked. Fortunately, the gauges still work!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 PM

I pulled out the whole gauge unit thing to change the bulbs but I wasn't exactly sure which wire was supposed to send power to the bulbs in question since that all go in in a big cluster.

I have a wiring diagram from a '83 pickup but its not helping, guess I need to find once thats more helpful so I can try directly connecting power to the right one. Ahh yes, I forgot to mention that the horn also stopped working, so maybe there is a common ground or something I can try to find.