Notices
Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'82 "Welfare Cadilac"

Old 05-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'82 "Welfare Cadilac"

I have decided to move a long lasting thread over to the Yotatech site for more community conversations. The current site its on has slowed down so much over the years that I feel like I am talking to myself half the time. I am hoping to get more input and knowledge through the yotatech community.

A little background...

The truck was originally built by Michael from a little stocker and has spent the past seven years being transformed into a reliable crawler. I then picked it up from him and have been continuing the progress of rebuilding and modifying the vehicle since August of 2018. I believe his goals were more suited towards the rock crawler aspect where mine are more towards a daily driver that can do the trails and go camping.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...223601/page-53 (This is the portion of the thread where I bring the truck home and start to use it on the daily)

List of modifications I have done after bringing her home..

- tcase disk brake
- shortened soft topper
- rear tire carrier
- rear axle brace
- trailgear hydraulic assist steering
- removed rear yukon locker for open carrier
- HD tcase mount
- Tom woods CV driveshaft
- Rear bed slider

In the works for this year...

- 3 link rear end
- Front 7100 14" shortbody billies on shock hoops
- Ruffstuff leaf perch u bolt eliminators

As it currently sits...

The following 2 users liked this post by DMiller:
Lons81 (05-20-2019), RAD4Runner (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh that's a beauty. I like the softtopper on a truck. Thanks for bringing your thread over here.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Yup, like I say over and over again about the first-gen, "Sexy without trying hard".
The following 2 users liked this post by RAD4Runner:
DMiller (05-18-2019), Lons81 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure how owning a single cab truck would go, but the lack of interior space has made it much more pleasant to own. This is the first vehicle that I have owned where I do not throw stuff in the back seat and then forget about it... Whatever goes in the truck on a daily basis comes out that same day. The seats have pouches behind them in which I put a few items (winch controller, fluids, tire wrench, etc...), just enough space but not too much to over clutter. Just the essentials.

All of my camping gear goes in the back on the slider and is strapped down. This was the mod I was planning to do on the 4runner but thankfully kept the sliders for this truck. I use the slider bed just about every week for different things, and because its easy to load and unload, there is never 'trash' left in the truck.

The following users liked this post:
Lons81 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:45 AM

I saw those pics on the tacomaworld thread, nice!

How tall are you? Do you fit in the cab okay or wish you had more room? Do you find the truck comfortable? Well as comfortable as a solid axle truck on leaf springs could be? Ha
Old 05-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude View Post
I saw those pics on the tacomaworld thread, nice!

How tall are you? Do you fit in the cab okay or wish you had more room? Do you find the truck comfortable? Well as comfortable as a solid axle truck on leaf springs could be? Ha

I am 5' 11', 170 lbs... Its a little tighter than my 4runner due to the seat unable to slide back any farther, but it is definitely not uncomfortable. But it is definitely not a 1 size fits all type of truck. I also drive with sneakers like I have with any vehicle with a clutch, but I cannot imagine driving this with work boots, even if it were an automatic. I have some non-hiking boots that I use to wear on camping trips, but can no longer trail ride with them on. They are large, waterproof, and comfortable but I can only put them after I have officially picked a spot for the night. I am currently looking for hiking boots that are smaller and not to aggressive that I can drive with but also get out and rummage around in.

As far as leaf springs...... I can only try to improve upon until I make the leap to a 3 link down the road!

As of today, I was able to mock up the shock hoops and billies. I was fighting a few different issues... one being the reservoir line shooting out of the top of the shock which was interfering with the hoop. One fix was to pull the hoop out farther, BUT that also kicked the top of my shock out which was not going to fly. The other fix was to rotate the bracket so the shock would bolt farther down on the hoop and I could bring the hoop back in towards the vehicle, BUT that reduced my up-travel significantly... So I found a happy medium, gave myself a 1/4" between the reservoir line and the hoop and placed the hoop so the shock was at 0* vertically. This gives me about 4" of up travel.

Now I just need to weld them up, paint, and then weld them to the frame. I also plan on adding bracing from the original shock mount to the hoop for additional support hence why I left the majority of the original mount intact.

Lons81 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 PM

I love these merrells https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2...-shoes&start=1

Makes sense with the height. I'm 6'1" and I've sat in a first gen cab once and it felt tight..

New shocks look nice.

I saw on tacoma world that your steering ram was causing the vehicle to pull? Still dealing with that?
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I like the rear carrier, well I like the whole thing!! It’s awesome!!!!
Lons81 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of alternator does this truck run ?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude View Post
I saw on tacoma world that your steering ram was causing the vehicle to pull? Still dealing with that?
Still having the same issue. I will be calling trail gear and seeing what they recommend.

Originally Posted by Beets125 View Post
what kind of alternator does this truck run ?
This has a 3rz swap from a 2000 tacoma running a factory alternator, assuming 70 amp.