2010+ 4Runner 5th gen 4Runners

2010 4runner question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
The sequoia, with its IFS and IRS, Is a joke.
+1 I'd really like to see a Sequoia built like an old suburban, with solid front and rear axles, a diesel option, heck maybe even some lsd's or lockers. I'd be one of the first in line to buy one, honestly. But faced with a new, SMALLER, more-to-its-roots 4Runner, with a 4 cylinder, or a V6 with a manual transmission, I'd more than likely go with the 4Runner.

I think if Toyota built it smaller again, with a 4 cylinder/V6 engine combo (maybe even a small turbo diesel...), much like all the previous ones, they could sell a bunch of them. A lot of people around here love the smaller SUV's, and everyone I know likes my 4Runner, some would consider buying one...

And I dunno about the rest of the country, but there are a TON of 4th gen 4Runners on the road here. My buddy is a salesman at the local Toyota dealer here and he says that one of the main reasons the 4Runner is in low demand is because its so old. It is a very dated model, esp. considering the competitions' offerings...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fargin-A....if they want to increase the CAFE of the 4runner--do away with all that plastic crap on the 4th gen, offer a bare bones version, drop the V-8, go to Diesel, 4cyl, 4.0 V-6....drop a bunch of things and just make it a good ol plain rig.

Honestly, i look at some of the things in cars/trucks and woder why--like the start feature on 4th gen 4Rnr--WHY?, Dual Climate control? AWD all the time, No selectable hubs.....list goes on and on....there are many things they could do to increase the 4runners MPG and bring back those who own the older version.

Me 3rd gen, pretty bare, Diesel--manual--I would buy one today
Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

bigtw, what you're asking for is already here in FJ Cruiser.

hross, V-8 4Runners were discontinued unofficially months ago. Check out the new Trail Edition 4R. It's built on the entry level SR5 and has a RR locker. Pretty sweet for under $30K.

For clarity, I love the 4th Gen 'Runner. Pretty much does it all with the emphasis on utility vs. FJ that also does it all with the emphasis on sport.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
bigtw, what you're asking for is already here in FJ Cruiser.
except for 4 doors...
Old 04-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

there are spy pics of the 5th gen 4Runner in jalopnik's website. read about it in UY
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is the link to picks:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/4runnerspy2/

looks the same... whats the deal with the area behind the rear doors though? removable top? doubt it. it kinda looks like a diff pumpkin in the rear so they are retaing the solide rear axle.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

that sure is some heavy camo... haha. Couldn't tell, its very plausible it has a rear live axle. I would say it would be completely pointless and the model wouldn't even exist if it went to irs, as it is essentially a highlander at that point. I saw someone on another site wish for irs on the next 4Runner, I thought to myself, you're crazy haha.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

any updates on the 2010 runner?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Updated 1GR w/direct injection, new frame, rear suspension, lightweight body, three trim levels SR5, Trail Edition w/locker and KDDS suspension option from Lexus and Limited, arriving Sept/Oct depending on region, JDM Tahara build.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

thanks BT17R

wow thanks BT17R I had no idea this information on the 2010 4runner was available yet. If this has all been discussed before I apologize in advance. I would very much like to discuss the general YT opinion of these details.

-Updated 1GR w/direct injection, Is this a good engine choice for the new 4runner? Will supercharger be available?
Having this engine, does this mean that we may see a manual transmission like the FJ? Or, is there no way of telling/

The other elements of your post, trail-gear edition w/locker, that's good news...KDDS suspension, is this recommended?

thanks again for your post. This is the most information I have seen so far. I've been following the edmonds town-hall discussions and keeping an eye out online but I must have missed some big news. thanks again
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Updated 1GR will also have dual VVT-i (both intake and exhaust) so it will take awhile to sort an s/c. Meanwhile, the n/a tweaks produce another +32hp to 268hp and +7tq to 273 ft/lbs. It's an outstanding design, built from the cross-bolted mains up exclusively for heavy duty truck use.

There will be a new 2.7L 4-banger available.

A/T only, no plans for an M/T in North America.

KDSS suspension is high tech all the way. It will be an expensive option only available on the Trail Edition. Worth it? Hmm, depends on your plans I guess.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 PM

That sounds so sick. Any pics available yet? I'm jonesing now !!!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

the 1GR is the FJ/Tacoma motor right? I smell a manual swap... sure, it would take some work to sort through the harness and make it work, but it would be sooo worth it. I am suprised that there is no manual option for at least the 4 cylinder...

so whats the body like? smaller than the current gen, I hope...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Pics are under wraps for now.

The body has some retro elements from earlier generations. Looks good except for the Trail Edition overfender flares reminiscent of the early 4th Gen flares = ugly. The other models have color keyed flares.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
Pics are under wraps for now.

The body has some retro elements from earlier generations. Looks good except for the Trail Edition overfender flares reminiscent of the early 4th Gen flares = ugly. The other models have color keyed flares.
man, they are really keeping this thing under wraps... It's driving me crazy! Do you have any information on sales goals? Starting prices? Still have a sliding rear window? A tell-tail signature slanted C pillar? And any ideas when we do get to see pics of this? Surely any time now if they are releasing it in literally 2-3 months...

And though I heard they are not eliminating the FJ, I heard that only applies to the current gen, as they will finish out the run of this gen and then drop it because of the looming CAFE standards...
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

No pricing yet. They hold that for last, sometimes as the ship pulls up to the dock like they did with 2010 Prius.

Estimated first year sales goal is 100,000, down from 4th Gen 125,000 at it's peak, but in this economy they'll gain market share with those sales.

I'm interested in the new frame and revised rear suspension. Since it's a worldwide frame used throughout the Toyota/Lexus SUV lineup, it should get noticed.

FJ carries on though I agree CAFE will eventually kill it. Meanwhile it gets a revised 1GR too, but not as much grunt since it was detuned for regular gas.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

wow BT17R

WOW BT17R who are you man? You have some serious inside information! (Don't answer my question...I get the feeling your identity is top secret). In the meantime please continue answering our questions! This is great. I love your description of the revised shape, "retro elements from earlier generations' this is fantastic!! In fact I am so happy about the whole thing except the most important, no manual trans! What gives? Why do they make a manual FJ and not a 4runner? I don't understand, especially considering that they will share the same engine. Are you 100% sure about the no manual thing? Damn damn!, otherwise it sounds like a fantastic runner. I am still hoping for a manual transmission 4runner with locking differential. If it could have a hood scoop with that (like the '99/'00 highlander) it would be perfect.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I know some folks at TMS who gave me their impressions after they drove production rigs a few months ago. Most of the time they're right, but sometimes mix up details.

Yeah, I'd love an M/T too, but at least they're saying the A/T is a new 6-speed unit. A RR locker will be an option, hopefully for all trim levels.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Forgot to mention one of the best features carries over, the liftgate with heated power window.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:41 PM

personally would love to see it offered in a two door, maybe with same wheelbase as the four door with longer doors like they did with the second gen. to keep costs down. also 5 or 6 speed manual and removable top would be great. i like the idea of a 4 cylinder too, as long as it is at least a 2.7

Quick Reply: 2010 4runner question