Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Unique Lexus door lock problems - please brain storm with me

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique Lexus door lock problems - please brain storm with me

Hello,

When I got it my 99 GS300 had all kinds of electrical issues stemming from a bad diode in the alternator allowing 1/2 wave power in the circuit rather than DC.

I've been driving for about a year now with no electrical issues except for one and I'd really like to solve it.

Originally both back doors did not lock / unlock properly so I swapped the actual servo motor with the same spec motor bought of ebay for $20 (for both). That went well. The next step was to try to program a new remote since none came with the car. During the programming sequence you have to hit lock and unlock with the key in and with it out etc. Thats when I found out my very strange symptoms which prevent me from programming the remote and causes risks and hassles of having 3 power locks and one manual lock.

With the key on (but engine off) all the locks work properly (lock and unlock). With the key off, no signal is sent to the driver's side rear door. It uses the same wires with the key on and with the key off but no signal is sent. I suspected the door computer but have replaced it only to find out I have the same symptoms.

A. Has anybody ever heard of this?

B. Where would I start?

C. Do you think I can just splice off wires from the front door lock run them out the door, through the car and into the back door?

D. Any other hair brained ideas are welcomed.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Only suggestion I can give for you is to get yourself a factory service manual and start studying the electical diagrams for the power door looks. Chances are its somewhere in the dash.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds like the lock servo that doesn't work with ignition off is powered by an ignition switched source, just like the fuel pump and other such stuff. It should be hot all the time though, so sounds like somebody had to do some wire repair and screwed up. Wiring diagram is the first place to start followed by inspecting the wiring. I'd start the wire inspection at the power side of the circuit instead of the actuator side since the lock works when the key's on. I agree with vital about it being under the dash. It's probably right at the door lock module.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Thanks... I'll get the service manual when I find some time. Unfortunately the PO had some aftermarket alarm / remote starter type of stuff but didn't have a working remote when I got it so no telling what they've done.

Originally Posted by nv4runner
It sounds like the lock servo that doesn't work with ignition off is powered by an ignition switched source, just like the fuel pump and other such stuff. It should be hot all the time though, so sounds like somebody had to do some wire repair and screwed up. Wiring diagram is the first place to start followed by inspecting the wiring. I'd start the wire inspection at the power side of the circuit instead of the actuator side since the lock works when the key's on. I agree with vital about it being under the dash. It's probably right at the door lock module.