Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Fail

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fail

Decided to hit up one the local trails here in Bountiful - Muller Park to Canyon Creek. The trail itself is uphill from both the Muller Park and Canyon Creek trailheads with some nice downhill either way you decide to go.

Well, just a little ways in I hear/feel this sound like something is binding or about to bind up. Next thing I know "SNAP" and this is what I see.:Wow1:

Cell phone pictures -

Hum, I wonder how it managed to do this?

Lucky, for me I wasn't injured when it happend. Fortunately, I had bought a bike tool with me and I was able to remove the derailer and was able to coast the bike back downhill. Looks like the biking season is over for me since this bike has been giving me problems for the past 2 years either with the gears, chain or the derailers and this just tops it off. So.............

Time to save up for a new bike. :sombrero:

So what other failures have you all had while biking??
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Bummer man, glad you are OK.

Never really had a bike break that I can ever recall.

What kind of bike will you be looking for?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Bummer man, glad you are OK.

Never really had a bike break that I can ever recall.

What kind of bike will you be looking for?
Not sure on that one. Last year I found a nice KONA hardtail that I should've got but decided against it.

Right now I just need to some research but the brands I'm considering are either a:

Trek
Cannandale
Specialized
Kona
Raliegh

I know the next bike around will still be a XC but full suspension and possible with eat beaters (clip pedals). I already know I need to save up $$ for it but at the same time I want to finish the build on my 4runner.

I went ahead and picked up a new derailer so I can least continue biking until it snows or just gets plain too bloody cold.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Geez dude! I never broke a derailer, just lots of chains! I did loose a crank once though...
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've broken chains derailers bent rims and a bunch of other crap on my Gary Fisher FS and my Specialized Stumpjumper. All up until i got my Kona Shred, i havent broken a single thing on it.. by far the toughest bike i've ever been on.

Logan, i didnt know you rode, we should hit up some trails some time!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh that aluminum part that you broke was a constant problem on my Specialized must be a weak spot
Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
Logan, i didnt know you rode, we should hit up some trails some time!
Me AND Justin USE to ride ALOT back in the day. I have the scars and tats to prove it! I need to get back into it, I'm fat and outta shape(sad to, being in the miltary and all...LOL!!). I never had a "crazy" equipment. I have my old Gary Fischer and I have a Specialized Rockhopper FS comp both have blown Manitou shocks. Neither in any shape to ride. lol!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Dam dude your lucky you didnt bif it or f up a rim , i have a ghetto 10 or 12 speed but a little fixa flat and im on all the trails . Good luck on the bike purchase peace
Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Been in the same boat with many different bikes. I found a short arm derailer from a on road bike that solved that issue. The short arm dosen't bounce around as much on the trail. havent had a prob since.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 AM

so your buying a new bike cause you broke a 15 dollar d-hanger?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by eighty5yota
And whatever caused the der to hang up so that it twisted the hanger off. My husband's looked like that after a fight with a small stick. Parts replaced, life is good again.
To each their own, yes?

I've broken 3 rear spokes in a race on my near worn out Sun Lite. Finished it off with a couple more broken spokes and finished the race as well.
Rear der (turned it into a single speed and limped on home)
Bottom brackets, pedals, gears, cassettes, front ders, brakes (not just the pads) wheels, seatposts, shifters, handlebar grips, seats.

My Supercaliber still has the original frame, handlebars, chris king headset, crank arms (with grooves worn into them from rubbing my shoe), brake levers, der hanger. That's it. Many parts have been replaced multiple times. It's got tens of thousands of miles on it, what can I say?

I ride things well past the need to replace, right up to and sometimes past the point of failure. Darned lucky I haven't been stranded as yet.

The hubby was riding when the Ellsworth started creaking and steering got wonky. The top tube cracked near the head tube. He's broken two rear triangles, too. Cracked a Cano'ale frame. Other than that just the usual suspects.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by eighty5yota
I have had other issues with the bike besides this.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hab, you're hard core! What's your average annual mileage? I've slacked to about 2,400 miles on-road but should improve mixing in some MTB miles.

worm, glad you weren't injured and were able to coast home. Sure looks like the d-hanger took a shot somewhere along the way that weakend the mount.

I don't know long term durability of one make vs. another, but here's a fascinating video suggesting SRAM might stand a better chance vs. Shimano if stability counts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

I've only replaced normal wear items on my Trek and LeMond road bikes. In my limited one month, 300 mile MTB experience with a Rockhopper 29er and X-Cal, the RH blew it's headset (possibly my fault from overtightening) but that's it. Hopefully my new GF X-Cal is up to the task.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM

For now I picker up a new derailer and hanger until I can afford to get a new bike.

I was able to take it out today to the same trail I broke it on and it works great. I just need to tweek it a little more.