Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Another Mountain Bike Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Mountain Bike Thread

Dang, these things seem to be coming up quite often now. But I have been bitten by the mountain biking bug (if there's such a thing). So today I went to the local bike shop (is that what LBS stands for?) with the thought of looking at the Specialized Rock Hopper and Hard Rock.

After being shown these bikes, I asked the guy I was talking to (who happened to be the store owner) what he recommended for me in the price range of $500-800. He told me that asian guys usually have short legs, and a long torso, so the Specialized wouldn't fit me that well. Then he directed me towards the Gary Fisher bikes, the Tasajara in particular for 600, and said these would fit me the best because I would be able to stand over it.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/ful...bike=Tassajara

What do you guys think? Since I'm just starting to get into this stuff, I don't anything about brands or components.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 PM

I love my fisher, I've got an '02 Sugar 4+. It's really nice, though it is full suspension, and probably out of your price range.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:56 PM

He told me that asian guys usually have short legs, and a long torso, so the Specialized wouldn't fit me that well.
I hope that's not verbatim!

There are better ways to size a bike than to stereotype a race, or a bike manufacturer.

You can find plenty of info on the web about picking the right size and geometry, but you would be better off riding each model you are interested in around the bike shop. Sizing recommendation are just that, recommendations. You might not find the “recommended” sitting position too comfortable.

But other than getting the right size, best bet at getting a good bike is used (ex. Ebay). Bikes depreciate like nothing else. For $400-500 used you can pick up something that even the coolest guys won’t smug about.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AznSky
He told me that asian guys usually have short legs, and a long torso, so the Specialized wouldn't fit me that well. Then he directed me towards the Gary Fisher bikes, the Tasajara in particular for 600, and said these would fit me the best because I would be able to stand over it.

Did he really say that? how tall are you? what is your inseam? Look in the catalogue, it will have a geometry chart, so you can check to see if that is true or not.

Take a look at the Cannondale F-300 at $559.99 and the F-400 at $799.99. If you can make the jump to the F-400 you get some sweet parts and a headshok.

On the surface the F-300 has the same parts as the Fisher, is made in the USA, and is $50 less.

B.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Great bike to get started on. The sails guy was smart to put you on the Fisher. They do run longer top tubes. If you run into back problems you might consider buying a Cane Creek Thud buster suspension seat post. I'm 21 years old and really try to be a tough guy when it comes to bike riding but I have been very pleased with the adition of the tund buster to my rig. It added about .5 pound but I hurt a lot less half way through a ride.

My sub 22 pound bike (before the suspension seat post):
Old 03-28-2005, 05:14 PM

I guess that sorta sounded harsh, but it said it real nicely, sort of an experts advice.

I'm 5'9, 165 lbs.
uhh...inseam? I'm not quite sure of the exact length, but I normally wear size 30 length.

I will definitely be riding a few bikes before I decide. Exactly how should it feel comfortable? Like should I be sitting straight up? Lean forward? Try to go up and down curbs like if they were logs?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I guess that sorta sounded harsh, but it said it real nicely, sort of an experts advice.

I'm 5'9, 165 lbs.
uhh...inseam? I'm not quite sure of the exact length, but I normally wear size 30 length.

I will definitely be riding a few bikes before I decide. Exactly how should it feel comfortable? Like should I be sitting straight up? Lean forward? Try to go up and down curbs like if they were logs?
At 5'9" with a 30" inseam, you sound like a regular male.

Start your upper body position like this. If you are sitting on the bike and you draw a line through your hip parallel to the ground. The angle of your torso should be at 45 deg. This is a great starting point. You can adjust up, down, in, and out as your body needs. Remember your body position will affect the handling of the bike. Also, don't just test ride the bike around the block. Take them out for 5 or 10 minutes each. Don't be shy.

If all this becomes a hassel, most bikes fit pretty good out of the box, so get one, and have a blast riding it.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'm 5'9, 165 lbs.

I'm 5'9" also and I also wear 30" pants (but I'm 127 punds ). My bike is a "race fit" at 17.5" and my handle bar is several inches bellow the seat. This is't the position recreational riders shoot for. You will want your bars about the same height as your seat with proper leg extension. You are going to be looking at bikes between 17" and 19" for your size. The best way to decide what size is best is always a testride.

Last edited by bike4miles; 03-28-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 PM

He told me that asian guys usually have short legs, and a long torso,
hahahahha it's so true! I have short legs and a super long torso!
The other day when I was looking at specialized bikes, the guy was like well you have a long torso, and I looked at him, and sure enough our legs were about the same length, but I was a good 4 inches taller!

I'm 6' and usually wear a 30 - 31" inseam!

bike4miles - I heard the thudbusters were crap, but it was all second hand. you really like having a susp. seatpost?

Rob, the gary fishers are sweet bikes, a couple of my friends ride them, and beat the CRAP out of them.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by INsr5runner

bike4miles - I heard the thudbusters were crap, but it was all second hand. you really like having a susp. seatpost?
No, the thud buster is actually the best suspension seat post out. I like it quite a bit. It really helps on rough singletrack. Rather than having to hover over the sadle all day I can just plunk my but down on the seat without getting launched over the bars. It has 3" of travle so it's good for some fairly big hits.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 AM

I bought a GF Tassajara in 92 or 93 and rode it until last spring for about 8K miles. Most of those were commuter miles (I bike to downtown DC from Bethesda almost every day). It was a great ride and never needed a major repair, aside from changing the chain and the cassette near the end of its life. Over the years I added a rockshox fork and replaced brake cables, too. But it was a great bike-- all 35 chrom moly pounds of it I can't recommend Gary Fisher more, though. As others have said, their geometry is slightly different than most other manufacturers, in that it employs a longer top tube. This is expecially evident in the new Cake series duel suspension bikes. I replaced my early 90's Tassajara with a nice Ironhorse harttail, and I'm near the purchase of a Cake 2 DLX for trails, pending approval frommy wife and 2 year old toddler. Baby needs to go to preschool in the fall... Anyway, if it fits you, I don't think you can go wrong with the Tassajara. Great design and solid bike.

H.
87 4R
95 4R
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 PM

one more question for you mountain bike gurus:

Do you have any advice/tips on how to ride? Like when to shift gears, when to shift your weight front or back. How to pedal (if the speed of pedaling makes a difference). That sorta stuff. Since none of my friends want to fork over the money and get a bike with me, it looks like I"m off to learn this on my own.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM

I'll ride with you robert!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:10 PM

one more question for you mountain bike gurus:

Do you have any advice/tips on how to ride? Like when to shift gears, when to shift your weight front or back. How to pedal (if the speed of pedaling makes a difference). That sorta stuff. Since none of my friends want to fork over the money and get a bike with me, it looks like I"m off to learn this on my own.
Well, gear wise, think of it like 4wheeling. 1st gear, big on the back, small on the front is like 4 low. actually 1,2, and 3 are pretty low gears. Use these when doing climbs. It will help a bunch. Then use the higher gears when you're cruzing along. Try and keep your weight centered almost all the time when climbing. too far forward and your back tire looses traction and you fall over (I've done it, makes a person look like an idiot) too far back and you can't steer or you will fall over backwards. When going down hill, keep you butt off of the seat, and keep leaning back. DON'T lean forward when going down hill. Very bad things happen when you do. For some motivation, here are some pics of my friends biking (none of me, i'm the photographer)

Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by INsr5runner
I'll ride with you robert!
Awesome Michael!!

Thanks Oly, that's sorta the stuff I need to know when first starting out. Hopefully I'll pick up this bike within the next couple weeks. (when the cc gets paid off
Old 03-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
DON'T lean forward when going down hill. Very bad things happen when you do. For some motivation, here are some pics of my friends biking (none of me, i'm the photographer)
I'm sure we can come up with reasons to keep your weight over the front tire on a downhill if we tried, but probably a good rule for someone starting out.

Point of the post, the first pic is great. Capturing (what I imagine is) the pure joy of riding a bike. Perfect.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bennito
I'm sure we can come up with reasons to keep your weight over the front tire on a downhill if we tried, but probably a good rule for someone starting out.

Point of the post, the first pic is great. Capturing (what I imagine is) the pure joy of riding a bike. Perfect.
Thanks, and yes, I agree that there are some reasons to put weight on the front tire when going down hill (ie. a turn, rather have the back end slide a little than not be able to turn.) but for a beginner, he won't be going fast enough where it would matter.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:45 PM

Got the Bike Today!!!!!!! Gary Fisher Tassajara. The Red/Black version

I'm extremely excited. Also got gloves, helmet, and a yakima big horn 4. Total cost was 855 including tax.

A few questions:

1) Do you guys ride your mtn bikes on the street a lot? Or will that wear the tires out really quickly

2) The Bighorn 4 he sold me was 153. Is that a lot? Can hold up to 4 bikes but does not swing.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Where in MI did you end up buying it?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

You can ride a lot on the street if you want. It actually keeps your tread lugs flat and sharp. You will get about 1,000 miles out of your tires no matter what. $153 for a 4 bike rack is fairly cheep. Mine is a 4 bike with fold down arms and sold for about $250.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Mountain Bike Thread