Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Paddlenbike, what about the Michelin LTX A/T?
I have not tried the A/T. The Michelin LTX MS tires I have now were installed by the dealership when I bought the truck six months ago--they wouldn't have been my first choice due to the tight tread blocks. The March Yotatech trip will be the first time this truck (and tires) will go offroad, so we'll see how it does. I have an extra set of OEM 16" wheels ready for an aggressive set of tires if the Michelins prove to be inadequate.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
Yeah, I'm really surprised at BFG wet performance comments by you and others, but like Glenn said they don't have an easy path out for water. Then user comments on tirerack show a poor rating for snow traction even though they have the severe snow rating.

I'll save $200 over the BFG's and the tire dealer is offering $200 credit for the new Bridgestone Dueler A/T takeoffs for a net of $340 installed. Sign me up.
What reviews were you reading ? Just about every review has good things to say about these tires in the snow and rain ?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yoda92
What reviews were you reading ? Just about every review has good things to say about these tires in the snow and rain ?

Alot of BFGs users (on this board too) complain of it's wet traction and the three sets I drove on were pretty poor and anybody who thinks their wet traction si good just hasn't driven on a good wet weather tire for a comparison and others are just brand blind and will never try anything else. Lokk at the BFGs tread design versus others,that alone shows that it's treadpatterns priority isn't evacuating water but they do still rock off road but for a DD they are still a subpar choice and a fair amount more costly than a set of Nittos or Revos. What's the true plus for the BFGs besides their off road prowess?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yoda92
There's another link embedded within the linked Tirerack page I provided. Then I read epinions and other review sites, with priority to YotaTech past and present users. I think the Nitto's will best match my needs.

Rated mostly mid-pack here
Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 99runner4me
I've had the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. On-road performance, the Nittos are far more smoother. I'll find-out how well they perform offroad this weekend.

The price, and forum members reviews was basically the selling point for me on the Nittos.

Like I've mentioned before, I don't think I'd go back to Bridgestones again, nor would even consider trying BFG's. They're overpriced! Just can't go wrong with the Nittos.

Try a set, and find out for yourself.

How are you nittos holding up? What size and load range did youg et?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM

got em both. nittos on my F150 and Bridgestone AT's on my 4rnr.

Nittos are awesome tires and the traction is very good and although not a true mudding tire they shed it pretty well..
B AT's are a good all around tire but become racing slicks in the mud. sand, dry dirt, etc they are fine.
both run quiet on the street. The Nitto is just a better tire
Old 09-08-2006, 07:19 PM

I got 70,000 miles out of the BFG A/Ts and no complaints. Great all around tire. People who say they have wet traction issues probably grew up in CA and they don't know how to drive anyway.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

I have the D-load range. I love the way mine feel on the road.

As far as wear, mine are hardly wearing. I also drive like a maniac if that matters at all.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 PM

I have ran BFG AT & MT's 32's on the old jeep & 35's on the truck, I will continue to buy BFG's!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Oh, im not bashing Michelin at all. I actually think Michelin makes the best tires...its just that my brokeass cant afford it...LOL:complain:
Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
M3

I guess I'm the only one running Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. Very happy with them. '94 runner is daily commuter 50 miles total. Have always gotten long service over 3 sets on this truck. Had a set of Dunlops seriously self destruct. 3 out of 4 delaminated at virtually the same time.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 PM

A/T's loadup in the mud (light mud)
I live in washington though, it rains in the winter.

BFG MUDs are the way to go in my opion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know why everyone doesnt like BFG's, I drove ins ome of the worst winter and raining conditions on a set of AT Ko's and was very happy, treadwear could have been better but no problems driving a HD F150 and no hydroplaning.

There are tons of tires to choose from, everyone always says thiers is the best. Dont take their word for it, try ones you think you will like. If you really dislike it take them off and sell them to someone who will like them.

As for me I prefer the BFG but cant justify the pricetag, the next set I run will be general grabber AT 2-not to be confused witht he grabber at which was a pos. At less than 100 a tire and tirerack awlays being out, plus the reviews I read I think they are worth a shot. But I have to wait for my hanook AT RF's to wear out that I bought the truck with. I cant fault them to much, they work pretty good.

Last edited by CJM; 09-08-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Almost 10k on my Nittos and they are a much better tire on road than the BFGs period and that's in the dry (hence the Nittos might wear out a little quicker) and the wet by a significant margin.
My friend tested his Runner shod with BFGs vs my Nittos and the BFGs consistently started to hydroplane almost 15mph sooner than the Nittos. The turn in is also better on slick surfaces and the Nittos are siped from the factory.
Off road the BFGs are probably a bit better than the Nittos but with intermediate trails and large rocks I've yet to have issues with mine and if I spent 90% of my driving off road than the BFGs would be a better choice but my truck is a DD and the Nittos are simply a better tire to live with on a day to day basis and they cost me $200 less than the same size BFGs would have cost me out the door at Discount.

I've driven on three sets of BFGs on a couple of Toyotas over the last 10 years so I do feel I can constructively criticize the BFGs.

Most people buy BFGs for the look and because they're popular not because they have truly done any research.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 PM

I only have one question... what are all of you doing to get BFG AT's to hyrdoplane? My boss had them on his ZR2 and complained about that. I've got 40k on a set of 31's and haven't ever experienced hydroplaning. I've hit puddles of water that have nearly jerked the wheel out of my hand and still no hyrdoplaning!

I've experienced it in cars, but never a truck, no matter what tire. Once in a Cadillac Seville at ~78mph, and experienced it constantly on my Impala SS when the tires were worn down, especially on roads heavily rutted from truck traffic (though moving out of the ruts fixes that problem). I'd hydroplane at 50mph on a road in my Impala that I ran 75mph down all the time with my BFG AT's and never felt a twitch. I ran down a toll road (evidently they don't use my toll money for drainage) for ~60 miles doing 60mph with a lot of standing water on the entire road, the water was shooting out from the front wheels 2' vertically and 8' horizontally... and still no hydroplaning.

I live in the south now, and people are always hydroplaning off the road. I blame it on the fact they run tires bald (and I mean completely bald!) as opposed to replacing anything with less than 40% tread during the fall like people that live with snow 5 months a year. And the road drainage sucks... but I don't think that's much of a problem because if you see a big puddle, slow down and don't attempt to steer/brake/accelerate until through, in case you hydroplane. Kind of like ice, only not nearly as bad.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cargun
I only have one question... what are all of you doing to get BFG AT's to hyrdoplane? My boss had them on his ZR2 and complained about that.
<SNIP>
You know, it's interesting.
I've had my 4Runner ('95) for about 3 weeks now, and it came with 31x10.50 R15 BFG AT's with about 75% tread left.

I've never run the BFT AT's before.

We've had a hell've monsoon season this year (for a change !!).
Anyway, it was pouring Thursday on my way into work (first time in heavy rain since I got the vehicle)
When I got up onto the freeway it was, literally, covered with water 1/4" ~ 3/8" deep and I didn't think anything of it at all.
I gotta tell you I about pissed my pants, the thing hydoplaned so badly that I couldn't go above by 35 mph, if that. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see but a 20 yards (maybe) so that wasn't holding anyone up
I bailed off at the next exit and took surface streets on into work.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if sidewall strength, or lack of it has come up.
We wheel in rocks out here in Arizona.
BFG's, both AT's and MT's simply don't do well here.
They don't have the traction for the bigger stuff and the sidewalls don't hold up.
In a month or two, once I get the vehicle armored, etc., the BFG's go and MT/R's will take their place.

Fred
Old 09-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
They don't have the traction for the bigger stuff and the sidewalls don't hold up.
)
Fred
Saying BFG MT's don't have traction, and don't do well in AZ, is a pretty rediculous statement. I don't live there but I have wheeled there, and I'm sure a bunch of the other AZ guys could chime in to say the same.

Regardless, this was about AT tires, I've run the BFG AT's on several vehicles and have enjoyed their performance both on and off road. I sold my last set to a friend who was replacing the same tire (30x9.5 AT) with 80k+ miles on them. Not much tread left but still some, I'd call that pretty good longevity. I've never had the issue with hydroplaning, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just drive like a wuss most of the time. If you can find them at a decent price, I'd recommend them for a good all around tire. My 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by MNBOY
Saying BFG MT's don't have traction, and don't do well in AZ, is a pretty rediculous statement. I don't live there but I have wheeled there, and I'm sure a bunch of the other AZ guys could chime in to say the same.

Regardless, this was about AT tires, I've run the BFG AT's on several vehicles and have enjoyed their performance both on and off road. I sold my last set to a friend who was replacing the same tire (30x9.5 AT) with 80k+ miles on them. Not much tread left but still some, I'd call that pretty good longevity. I've never had the issue with hydroplaning, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just drive like a wuss most of the time. If you can find them at a decent price, I'd recommend them for a good all around tire. My 2 cents.
Both the AT and MT's (BFG's) do usually have a good long life on road because the compound is on the hard side. The on road wear is good, with people that I know commonly getting 50K ~ 60K and more out of them

I added the other comments because, as I mentioned, I didn't read all but the last post or two and I don't know if some of the other things came up in the thread or not.
Sorry, but, off road, neither the AT nor the MT work as good (out here on the rocks) as some of the other tires. They don't hold a line as well. Some of the more difficult have a line thats, literally, a few inches wide.
Both the AT and MT have relatively weak sidewalls, compared to some of the other tires out here. Most everyone who runs them in the bigger rocks will agree with that.
It helps a lot with the MT's if they're siped.
I've run the MT's before (on the Jeep) and won't anymore.
I've never run the AT's before these that were on the 4Runner when I bought it, and won't again

Fred
Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
You know, it's interesting.
I've had my 4Runner ('95) for about 3 weeks now, and it came with 31x10.50 R15 BFG AT's with about 75% tread left.

I've never run the BFT AT's before.

We've had a hell've monsoon season this year (for a change !!).
Anyway, it was pouring Thursday on my way into work (first time in heavy rain since I got the vehicle)
When I got up onto the freeway it was, literally, covered with water 1/4" ~ 3/8" deep and I didn't think anything of it at all.
I gotta tell you I about pissed my pants, the thing hydoplaned so badly that I couldn't go above by 35 mph, if that. It was raining so hard that you couldn't see but a 20 yards (maybe) so that wasn't holding anyone up
I bailed off at the next exit and took surface streets on into work.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if sidewall strength, or lack of it has come up.
In a month or two, once I get the vehicle armored, etc., the BFG's go and MT/R's will take their place.

Fred
so what do you run with?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

I have run BFG MTs for about 20k now and I've been nothing but impressed with them. I yet to slip with them, even on a wet pancake rock and the terrain is very similar to Arizonas. I can't chime in about the hydroplaning issue with MTs but I can't imagine siping them further. As far as the strength of the sidewall on BFGs go, nearly all the desert racing guys run BFG tires in the AT, MT, or Baja styles because of their strong construction.

Just my $.02 though.

Quick Reply: Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?