Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:29 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Intrepid
I have not run or been with anyone running the nitto's, but, as far as the BFG AT's go, they are a far superior off road tire compared to the revo's, the revo's are better on the street though.
yes you have... i believe karl has them on his 4th gen and he walked through obstacles.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lee
yes you have... i believe karl has them on his 4th gen and he walked through obstacles.
Well, then I should amend my statement to, "I have never had them or run with any vehicle that doesn't do the driving for you that has them."
He walked through a lot of stuff there, but I attribute that to the traction control not to the tires. I mean, Dan was running with bald generics and made it through the washout, but I wouldn't say that makes them good.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i guess

but they are great tires, no need to argue that!

no matter what tire youre talking about its never 100% the tire that gets you through an obstacle anyway.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by lee
i guess

but they are great tires, no need to argue that!

no matter what tire youre talking about its never 100% the tire that gets you through an obstacle anyway.
Oh no, like I said above, I can't comment on the Nittos. But after wheeling with Ed and John, I am completely unimpressed with the Revo's.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:23 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ditto.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:32 AM

The BFG AT's are my first choice for any dual purpose rig. They are the best compromise of on/off road that there is IMO. This is speaking from the sloppy East coast, where the likes of a Revo/Terragrappler style tread will load up too much.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
that is true, thats why I decided to keep the nittos.

I went through the Michelin LTX M/S, REVOS, BFG AT's, BFG MT's and the Nittos

Try them all out if you really want to see which one you like best.
Wow, between you, bamchem and Glenn, I've going with Nitto's over BFG's.

I read in another thread dated before this that you were going to sell them. Why, or did you change your mind?

Also, the replacement OEM size I'll get is P265/70-17, a passenger car application, while most of the rest are LT rated. Since I'm a weekend warrior more concerned about 90% DD use and only moderate wheeling, will they work as well as the LT's? The tire dealer says they're not as durable with a 2-ply vs. 3-ply LT sidewall.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BT17R
Wow, between you, bamchem and Glenn, I've going with Nitto's over BFG's.

I read in another thread dated before this that you were going to sell them. Why, or did you change your mind?

Also, the replacement OEM size I'll get is P265/70-17, a passenger car application, while most of the rest are LT rated. Since I'm a weekend warrior more concerned about 90% DD use and only moderate wheeling, will they work as well as the LT's? The tire dealer says they're not as durable with a 2-ply vs. 3-ply LT sidewall.
I was going to sell them to go 295s, but something came up.

Im a weekend warrior also, see my sig..LOL This tire does well in the rain/snow since its sipped. As far as the sidewall, since it does have 1 less ply, it isnt as strong i guess?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM

3 ply would be 50% stronger than 2, would it not?

Lamm
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
3 ply would be 50% stronger than 2, would it not?

Lamm
isnt it 33.33333333333333% stronger?

it has 1/3 less?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:56 AM

But 1 is 50% of 2. IDK, ask one of the ten million engineering majors on Yotatech.

Either way, %50 or %33.33, thats a big increse.

Lamm
Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
But 1 is 50% of 2. IDK, ask one of the ten million engineering majors on Yotatech.

Either way, %50 or %33.33, thats a big increse.

Lamm
LOL

I was thinkig 3 plys, nitto only had 2/3s as the BFG. so the bfg is 1/3 stronger.

LOL, who knows.

anyone up for a its about that time!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

BFGs are great if you actually off road but on road performance (which is where most us spend our time) leaves alot to be desired especially in the wet/snow. If you never leave the pavement any AT tire is a waste of money and from what I see around here in town is people wasting alot of money on BFGs as a street tire.

Nittos are a much better option for on road/off road performance on a daily driver and I've had three sets of BFGs and I would take the Nittos anyday.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm really surprised at BFG wet performance comments by you and others, but like Glenn said they don't have an easy path out for water. Then user comments on tirerack show a poor rating for snow traction even though they have the severe snow rating.

I'll save $200 over the BFG's and the tire dealer is offering $200 credit for the new Bridgestone Dueler A/T takeoffs for a net of $340 installed. Sign me up.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM

The Bridgestone Dueler Revo's & BFG A/T's have one thing going for them that not a lot of other all terrains do - they are rated as a winter tire. Please spare me with the "I ran my all terrains in the snow and they were awesome." It's easy for any all terrain to be good in the snow. As long as you have deep tread blocks you'll be able to churn up and bite into snow all day. It's when you run into ICE, that makes a winter tire. This is where proper sipes and a softer compound can make a difference between braking safely and hitting the guy in front of you. So you can sit there and fret over the better tire for the value but the increased cost of the BFG A/T and Revo might be related to the very fact they are certified as snow tires which does and should mean something to someone shopping for an all terrain when they live in more inclement weather climates. Great for someone who wants something they can run year round without needing a second set of tires or rims.

Many people over the course of the years I have been on this board seem to regard the Revo as better street tire of the two but can hold it's own on the trail. And many feel the BFG is sort of the opposite - it's the better trail tire, and it can hold it's own on the street. Both are solid picks for All Terrains. The one reason I would personally pick the Revo's over the BFG A/T's is because they are noted as a better rain tire where as the BFG A/T's, not being as good on the street, seem to expierience minor issues for some, with hydroplaning. For the place I live, which is located in a temperate rainforest, having something that performs somewhat descent in the rain is crucial. Having said that the BFG's are a solid pick and a great tire and I recommend them to a ton of people.

I think a lot of people may have expierienced luck with other brands of all terrains but I also think a lot of people seem to want to be the ones who get the attention for finding a supposedly better tire. In all reality I think you will be hard pressed to find 2 better tires than the Revo and the BFG A/T.

Now having said all of the above I do run a set of Bridgestone Winter Duelers and I have found them to be an exceptional winter tire (outstanding sipes) and they have extremely deep tread blocks for biting into snow. They also require you to install them on the rims a cerrtain way as they have directional tread which better clears the blocks. These tires are in my opinion great for the guy who lives in winter climates (I use these for a trip up north every year to more winterly regions, and my LTX A/T Michelin's are a great summer high mileage tire for running to fishing spots in the interior of BC) but that also err on the side of a true all terrain. Sort of like a Winter All Terrain. But the only vice of them is the soft compound wears quickly so they can't be run in the Summer obviously.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Nittos are rated for winter (sipped nicely) also and they have much better ice grip than the BFGs by far in my experiences. I just did a 20 mile round trip drive out on the highway in apcked slick condition just this morning and didn't even use 4wd once and the Nittos gripped fine and when they did get a little sideways it was easy to coax then back in line with a little throttle and brake.

BFGs have been around a while which makes then a popular choice since they do look good (alot of people buy BFGs based on looks alone) but they haven't made any significant advances with the tire in 10 years and alot of other company's tires have surpassed their performance and are doing it at considerable less money than the BFGs.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

I have Michelin LTX M/S 31" tires. They handle good on-road and "decent" off-road. Make sure to take a grain of salt with the "decent" comment as I have not had a chance to take my runner out in extreme conditions. Last pair we had lasted around 50K I believe. BTW, they are by no means cool looking
Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Realizing that ANY AT tire is a compromise of the extemes, I have had excellent results using BFG ATs. They get me through the snow (that we usually have from Oct to May or Jun), I've had no complaints about the pavement noise from them, and I've enjoyed their capabilities off-road. As far as hydroplaning is concerned, I think that slowing down for those conditions is the safest thing to do.

One of the main reasons that I opt for the BFGs is that 3 ply sidewall, for one of the regular duties of my truck is to fetch fire wood. That wood is always green when I get it, and these tires don't squat much under the weight, like many others that I have seen.

BFG may not have done much with the design of the tire over the years, but it is a design that has worked very well for the things that I do with my truck.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:12 AM

My experiences:
BFG A/T: strong sidewalls, decent all-around tire. Hydroplains in the rain, so I won't likely buy them again.
Goodyear Wrangler RTS: These are the only tires I hated. They are noisy, traction is only okay, wears unevenly.
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693: After running 3 sets, I have no complaints with this tire; I think it is a great all-around tire.
Michelin LTX MS: Awesome on the highway, quiet, great tire life. I haven't had them offroad yet, but they don't look like they will perform very well (tight tread blocks).

I'm either going back to my 4th set of Dueler A/T D693s or I will give the Geolandar A/T+II a try.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 PM

Paddlenbike, what about the Michelin LTX A/T? Consider giving those a try? They're a great high miler tire, but with a more aggressive deeper tread than the M/S.

Quick Reply: Why are BFG AT's not higher up on everyones' list?