Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

What is the point of large tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by nv4runner
A skinny tire might not even help in 4' of snow, but just about anything below the body of your truck they should be able to handle, which is why i added the part about depending on your clearance. The only times I've been stuck is in snow up to my bumper with the 31's without chains.
I've had 33x10.50 tires in 4'-5' deep snow (aired down to about 6-7 psi) and just before I stopped to take the picture below was pushing through snow over the hood:

Finally did get stuck rounding a steeply banked corner, had snow to the top of the door on the driver's side:
Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerkrobot
Tc - the actual reason they started putting the groves on f1 tires was to reduce the amount of traction because f1 cars were corning so fast that is was becoming a safety issue. seems ironic.. but thats how the f1 sanctioning body works. Im fairly certain the did the same thing by making the brakes smaller. and then finally cutting the engine size from v10's to v8's. Your'e right about the heat dissipation though.

Another example: Drag cars.
Ferrari, Labrogini etc still have v12 engines. I don't think its a cylinder number as much as a horsepower cap. Ferarri engines are v12 because thats what they use in there cars
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny car/top fuel car tires aren't really that wide once they get spinning ...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Well lets just agree to just disagree and use what we like and like what we use. We will all post our feedback on a particular tire or size and everyone can draw there own conclusions. I'm curious to use a set of 255's though.

Aaron
Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nv4runner
A skinny tire might not even help in 4' of snow, but just about anything below the body of your truck they should be able to handle, which is why i added the part about depending on your clearance. The only times I've been stuck is in snow up to my bumper with the 31's without chains.
I see your point but here in MN snow conditions are not always ideal and change depending on weather your in the woods or on the lake.
On the lake in 3-4 feet of snow, a wider tire works better for several reasons. In the woods the snow tends to stay a little fluffier and skinny tire works better depending on the temp.
Another big factor is your position in the line-up, ie, breaking fresh trail or last in line.
I consider myself an expierenced winter/snow wheeler. I will often go rock crawling in winter at the local offroad park just to add a new dynamic.
Also, just a personal observation about tires in the snow, in the 32"-35" range the Truxus M/T seemed to work best to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
Has to be the dumbest question I hav ever heard in an offrad forum. Should go int he dumbest things you have ever heard about cars thread.

Thank you for your support. I do appreciate the intelligent answers that I've been getting from the senior members on this forum. Please keep quiet and let them talk. Thank you again .
Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I understand... and if you want to wheel, you'll have to trim. See, a street ready rig with 32's or 33's (I vote 33's) will rub like a well a fat guy in corduroy's! (I know normally it is a fat biatch but since I am a lone chick....)

So if you don't wheel aggressively well it will work. If not, get ready for some rubbage
So if I was running 33's on my rig and had the Sonoran Steel lift for Tacomas I'd still rub??

I'm lifting it before I put on bigger tires. So what will fit under there after the lift that would provide me the best setup for looks/trail/NC mountain driving? I hunt and can get through most anything with some good All Terrains.

I also don't really want to regear my truck either if that makes a difference.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Last edited by toyota-erik; 08-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Last edited by GenXr; 08-28-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Nevermind
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
Ferrari, Labrogini etc still have v12 engines. I don't think its a cylinder number as much as a horsepower cap. Ferarri engines are v12 because thats what they use in there cars
Hate to sound rude.... You dont pay much attention to F1 do you? The HP cap is correct (sorta), but it only happens through a rev limiter on the cars that use OLDER v10s to save money. Also Ferrari team runs v8s in f1, NOT v10's or v12's. Lambo doesnt even race in F1. They havent in a LONG time. And honestly your post is not really topical at all.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...rari-F2007.htm
Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by berzerkrobot
Hate to sound rude.... You dont pay much attention to F1 do you? The HP cap is correct (sorta), but it only happens through a rev limiter on the cars that use OLDER v10s to save money. Also Ferrari team runs v8s in f1, NOT v10's or v12's. Lambo doesnt even race in F1. They havent in a LONG time. And honestly your post is not really topical at all.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...rari-F2007.htm
No I dont, I just figured that since they used what they had in the production line. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Quattro15
Thank you for your support. I do appreciate the intelligent answers that I've been getting from the senior members on this forum. Please keep quiet and let them talk. Thank you again .
If you were looking to get tire info maybe the question should have been. how big should I got for the kind of wheeling I do? Not whats the point of big tires? I still think its a dump question. Go into your local offrad shop and ask them that. See what they say.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Sorry Saito, I was really curious as to how big is too big. I don't think that 33 inch tires are "big", I'm talking more along the lines of the tires that are 35 and up. I realize the ground clearance issues but there is a point of diminishing returns with tire size as you lose torque and power and highway performance as well. So the point of "large" tires does merit more thought than some put into it I do believe. There has to be a cutoff somewhere with tire size or everyone would be running around with monster trucks.

That was what I was trying to ask, thank you.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Quattro15
Sorry Saito, I was really curious as to how big is too big. I don't think that 33 inch tires are "big", I'm talking more along the lines of the tires that are 35 and up. I realize the ground clearance issues but there is a point of diminishing returns with tire size as you lose torque and power and highway performance as well. So the point of "large" tires does merit more thought than some put into it I do believe. There has to be a cutoff somewhere with tire size or everyone would be running around with monster trucks.

That was what I was trying to ask, thank you.
Aha. That makes much more sense. Heres my input then. I have heard that if you get much more than 37 with stock witdth toyota axles you begin to get rather tippy on the trail. So I would think that for most offrading 33s to 35s would be perfect. Any larger and you better have full width axles, low gears etc. Sorry to razz you
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

No prob Saito....sometimes it's hard to get the point across in one sentence.