Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Treadwright MTG's

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Treadwright MTG's

ok guys..since college starts in late august for me..and im about to be moving out..and my swampers are at less that probably 30%..my parents are thinking about chipping in on buyin a set of tires for me (probably me pay half..they pay half)

so i started lookin around at tires..swampers my first choice..but since i dont do THAT much muddin anymore..i crossed them out..then thought about BFG's..but thats ALOT of money..even if i only pay half..next thought was TREADWRIGHT'S...

got to lookin..and im REALLY liking the MTG's..in a 31x10.50 size of course..and for a little over $400 shipped to my door..VERY MUCH DOABLE...

question is..how much life will i get out of these puppies????..i've seen a few guys say they have 30,000 miles on em and said its about time for a new set..

i've heard nothing but GREAT reviews about treadwright..which is why im leaning that way..lol

how does an MT/R do in the mud????..since thats basically what the tread design is on the MTG..

i mean i know they wont be anything even CLOSE to my swampers..but as long as they clean out pretty good i'll be fine...

also lookin to get a set of the 285/75/r16 MUD's for the dodge..lol but dad's payin for them..lmao!

and what is the best tire to ask for..(for the sidewall strength).

thanks for any and all help guys
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although some people frown on retreads, judging from what I've heard, Treadwright make a great product. The price of the M/T-G's is certainly attractive too! I would assume that since the M/T-G's are so close in tread to the M/T-R's that the performance would be equally similar. The M/T-R's aren't known for being a great mud, snow or ice tire, but people seem to like them for rocky trails. The only way to know for sure is to order some up and see what you get. Post a review when you've had a chance to test them out too!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some retreads on an old Blazer and in the heat, they unglued, one at a time, one every week til gone. I recommend Dunlop Mudrovers for the size and needs you've expressed. Close to $400 a set and after three sets, they've lasted on average, 45,000 miles a set ,and weren't bald when replaced.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:26 AM

..aw jeez the heat thing wasnt what i was wanting to hear...although you didnt mention that they were Treadwright's????

yes i have thought about the Mud rovers..and some mastercraft courser M/T's..

i believe i'll call pep boys and ask em about some pricing...lol
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BFG's are expensive for you BUT I had a set I sold to a friend with 60k and they still had 11/16s all the way around I know a guy that has a set he bought 5 years ago and they too still look ok but it is time to replace them. The BFG's just last forever and are a very good tire and work in most conditions very well (AT's) have a hard time in mud but the KM's rock

Also as for the Mastercraft M/T's I rock a set of them on my daily driver 35 x 12.5's that came off my friend jeep he had been running them for a year and half and all I can say is the are worth the money he paid $800 for 5 i traded him a set of michelin 31 x10.5 and I have been using them for a year now and you can't even tell they still look new and don't have to loud of a sound running down the road.

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-24-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM

all of the tires im considering..are not far off money wise from each other...with the treadwrights leading the pack at less than $500 mounted and balanced..

yes theres a guy in my town that has a 3/4 ton ford that runs 35" courser M/T's..he says THEY ARE AMAZING..he bought his last year sometime..and they still look brandnew..and its his daily driver.

and yes i know the BFG's are a GREAT tire..i've heard ALOT of people getting 80,000 miles out of the A/T's...but for what im gonna be doing..i believe the MTG's will be just fine..lol..and i WILL post a good review on here on how they do on the road, the trail, and anywhere in between..lol