Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Need some rim recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some rim recommendations!

Hello all!

I picked up this little 1990 Toyota Pickup a few weeks ago for a steal, it seems to be in great shape overall but there's one big problem: the AWFUL RIMS IT CAME WITH!

Need some rim recommendations!-d3wazmq.jpg

Last fall I purchased a set of new Kumho Road Venture 235/75R15s for my 1995 4Runner. I've been really impressed with them so far and would like to get the SAME tires again for my "new" Toyota Pickup. However, I need to get some different rims first to replace these terrible-looking [trailer?] rims:
Need some rim recommendations!-npiz0vf.jpg

I don't know much about rims, let alone what might look good on this little Pickup. I would really appreciate some recommendations that some of you more-experienced guys might be able to tell me. Can I get a decent set of 15" rims for under $150/rim or is that too low? My "new" Pickup will be about 50% highway/town driving and 50% trail driving. I know some guys don't recommend aluminum rims on the trails because of rocks and stuff, but I'm not a serious "offroader" or anything. I've got aluminum rims on my 1995 4Runner and I've never had a problem, I'm a pretty gentle trail driver for the most part.

I'm thinking something like these might look good(?). I'm looking at style here, not brands:
Name:  bvdT8s0.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  19.0 KB

Anyway, I'm mostly curious to see what you guys think might look good on it. Would appreciate any advice... thanks!

Last edited by 3rnr; 02-13-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Ha! Your wagon wheels match my boat trailer. They were very popular in the early 80's. Someone will probably pay $80 for the set. I like your first option, which are Outlaw II's. I had them on my 88 and have them on my 89. The second set are more modern and you could put them on a newer vehicle when it's time. Outlaw II's would look odd on a 5th gen for instance. Whatever you get there is probably a bit of MPG improvement with aluminum v. steel wheels.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 PM

Thank you, Nervo! Even though it's a style I recognize and have seen hundreds of times, I didn't realize how popular Outlaw II's were until I did some Googling. I think they'd probably be my first pick for a rim actually, I really like the way they look and I seen another 1990 Toyota Pickup with them on and it looked excellent!

I really don't know anything about rims or all of the terminology that goes with them. May I ask what specific size of Outlaw II's I should look for? I know they have to be 6 bolt obviously, and I think I'd like to go with a 15" rim unless there's a reason I should go with a 16". My biggest concern is: how do I know they aren't going to rub?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm pretty clueless though as I've stated many times before when it comes to rims. I've got some research to do later this week and some new terminology to pick up on... I didn't realize there was so much to learn about rims of all things!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Aluminum rims will suit you well. Heard lots of ppl argue the difference for Offroad performance and honestly I am a steel rim guy. But i like the extra weight under the center of gravity and the ability to bend head back in place. I've had to massage bead in place with a hammer before on trail. But aluminum is lighter do improves gas mileage which is a good thing.

Your concern about rubbing is legit. Back spacing and rim with combined with tire dimensions will effect rubbing. Be careful lots of places talk about offset instead of backspacing. This adds a huge amount of confusion. Do the research. You may find the best price online but the brick and mortar places can offer the service aspect. Some places will do price matching. Also consider how to balance, I've had best response with beads (airsoft) than any other balancing technique over time, but I'm running 35 mud tires. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Thank you for the add'l information, muddpigg! I do strongly believe that from all of the research and learning I have done the past few days, these 15X7 with a 6X5.5 bolt pattern (and 3.75" backspacing) should work perfectly, unless there is something that I'm not seeing. From what I have been able to find out, the original stock rims on my 1990 (which are obviously long gone) were likely 15X6 with 4.75" backspacing; and since these Outlaw II rims that I linked to have a 3.75" backspacing, they should work. Like I said, maybe there's something I'm not understanding here, but I'm pretty sure I finally narrowed it down to those rims and that they should work without any rubbing issues. As mentioned earlier, I plan on going with 235/75R15's unless there's a good reason I should switch to a 16" tire size, but I think 15" will be fine.

Thanks all! Hopefully I'm correct about all of this, if not please catch me before I make my purchase, lol.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 AM

Thought stock was 15x7 4wd and 15x6 2wd
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
On 4wd trucks, factory alloys were 15x7 and factory steelies were 15x6. I don't know anything about the 2wd trucks.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Sure, I'll buy it for a dollar
Old 02-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Interesting, thanks for the information, fellas! Would both the 15X7 and 15X6 have the same backspacing, still?
Old 02-16-2016, 05:10 PM

Should be. Nice thing about backspacing vrs offsetting.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 PM

So, what did you get? Here's a fitment guide for oem wheels -- http://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/pick-up/1990/. I checked American Racing- http://4wheelonline.com/American_Racing_Wheels.137575 and they have some nice looking wheels. I like the look of their Baja polished rims.