Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Micky Thompson MTZ Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micky Thompson MTZ Tires

Has anyone used the micky thompson mtz tire? I need a new set of tires and I'm trying to figure out what to get. The set I have on now are goodyear wrangler mt/r's. Not the new style tread, but the old. They have worked well for me, so I was wondering if I should stick with those tires or buy a different tire such as the micky thompsons. I would just go with swamper boggers, but my 4runner is my only vehicle and I drive it on the road quite a bit too. Reviews on the MTZ's and other suggestions would be great.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see the micky thompson mtz's on alot of trucks where i live, so they must be good tire. Have you thought about nitto mud grapplers??? They are a aggressive looking tire that seems to pretty good on the street.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM

I have looked into the mud grapplers. They're still in the back of my mind for a possible tire. It's just hard to make a decision when I haven't had any experience with many different tires. Some tread designs look good, but I just don't want to spend hundreds on a tire that will not perform well.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Mickey thompsons are too expensive in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM

ya i got ltb's and they are nasty in the mud and clay but on the street its a lil bit rough. I am thinking next time around gettin a 35x 12.50 nitto mud grappler or Mickey thompson baja claw. The baja claws seem to be a real good tire
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM

You're welcome to take what I say with a grain of salt. I've had a lot of different tires. Some rocked, some sucked. Some were awesome off road, but sucked on the pavement, others vice versa.

My recommendation, if you have a tire, like it, and don't have any complaints about it, then go with 'em. IMO the Mickey Thompsons are too expensive for my taste. For that price I could get a used set of boggers or TSL's for the mud, and a set of something else for the street and have the best of both worlds.

Having said that, I'm currently running a set of Procomp Mud Terrains and love them. They ride great, not super noisy, and really dig when you need 'em to. I wish the tread voids were a bit larger, but they do very well. Also the Dunlop mud rover's are really cheap, and as long as you keep 'em maintained will ride great and last a long time. (though this goes for pretty much any mud tire). They have huge voids in the tread and clean super easy. They're no swamper by any means, but will hold their own under pretty much any of the conditions your average joe are going to throw at them. Besides if it's your daily driven rig, then you're probably not going to take it through the rubicon anyways........

good luck
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I was curious about the micky thompsons because I haven't really heard much at all about them. I'll definitely look into the nitto mud grapplers a little more. My 4runner is my daily driver, but it's still going to see a lot of mud and sand. I can't keep myself away from it!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 AM

tires

I have ran several sets of the mtz's.....great tire....they do great in the rocks,and mud...
I have friends that are getting around 50k on these tires......with that being said i just took a set off of my truck because they were a load rang-e....265/75/16.to heavy and to stiff for my daily driver... Now im running the goodyear duratrac......load range-c so far so good...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 AM

I'm fond of the Swamper Truxus MT. Just bought a second set for my gold 4runner.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 PM

ive ran 285/75/16 mtz's for over a year on my 97 limited and they look brand new. its also my dd. they do great off road an have done well in the tahoe snow and anything else ive thrown at it. best mt ive tried and i shopped around they are no more expensive than any other quality mt's and theyre cheaper than toyo mt's. low road noise as well. my .02
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 AM

I just picked up a set of MTZ's last year and put 9000 km's on them, mostly street driving. These tires were rotated about 5000k and wear very nice. theres still tons of tread on them. There not the best in the snow, and you have to becareful at highway speeds with alot of water on the road, but they bite like hell in the mud when you need them too. There not really noisey at all on the highway. I would definitely pick up another set... For me, it was a toss up between the Mickey Thompson MTZ's and the BFG km2's...I did quite a bit of research lookin for reviews and finally went with the MTZs. They're a mean lookin chunk of rubber...
Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm glad there's also been responses from people who actually have used the mtz. I talked to one of my friends about the baja claws. He said that he has used them before and they're awesome in the sand. However, he said they're not the best in the mud unless you have enough torque to sling the mud out from between the lugs. I think the mtz might be my best choice for what I will use them for.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:37 AM

I just put a set of 31" Falken High Country A/T's,M+S rated load C,50K mile rated tread life for 600$ on my 4Runner.I love them,no road noise at all @ 75mph.Very aggressive tread design,great looking tire,just got them 2 days ago.They also came with a 30 day ride gaurantee.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 AM

MTZ 305/75R16 radials on 02 Tacoma TRD 4X4

I recently had the pleasure of fitting a set of new Mickey Thompson #5263 MTZ radials, LT285/75R16 (33X11.50R16) on my '02 Tacoma TRD 4X4 X-Cab.

(Pictures attached. I just posted this whole thing but the search utility is not finding my prev. posting.)

They replaced MT Baja Claw radials, 315/75R16 (35X12.50) and brother, let me say I'm glad to see those Claws go! Those puppies needed to be balanced yearly, or maybe even every 6 months, to keep from doing the hippy-hippy shakes going down the road. And they were somewhat loud. I sometimes used ear plugs on extended trips. Forget about trying to have a phone conversation at 70 mph. While nothing like a TSL or similar hyper-agressive design, they were still a nuisance after awhile.

The MTZ's fit the truck so much better. Between my Downey Off-Road (RIP) 3" sus lift and my Performance Accessories 3" body lift, I was not making nearly enough room for 35" meats. These 33's, in addition to being a little narrower at 11.50, are perfect. They climb wonderfully in the snow, gripping well enough to power up like a 2 1/2ft snowy embankment with no momentum, starting from being already on a steep grade, with snow that has been iced over and is so hard that your foot doesn't break thru when you step on it. They're great tires.

The tire place inflated them to an insane 55lbs, which is my only compaint. I lowered them down to 40 psi, and I'll probably go lower, but I need good mileage since I am driving more now. I'll try them at 30 and see. Other than the high pressure thing, I would highly recommend Tire City in Bristol, PA. The dude there, Richie, has the most awesome F-350 with, like, 44's on it. It's a total mini-monster truck. (Not really mini.) They know their stuff and are excellent to deal with. Got me the best price by far, too. I got them for less than I could find on the internet, and of course no shipping charges.

They're still kind of a midway aggressive tread, and I realize they will need more freq. balancing than a full out street tire, but they have to be better than the big lugs on the Baja Claws. Also, Tire City said definitely rotate religiously, that's a big thing with the MTZ's. He said every other oil change, but when I told him I do my oil at 6-7k intervals cause I run syn, and he then told me to rotate at every oil change.

Lastly, the truck looks really cool with these on. There's no more rubbing on the wheels wells, they just fit great!! Yeah, they're pretty expensive, but MT's last a LONG time. I routinely get 40k out of MT tires. These are probably the 4th set I have owned, maybe 5th. But don't ever make the mistake of trying the Baja Belted tires, unless you never intend to ride on anything but soft mud. They ride like bricks.
Attached Thumbnails Micky Thompson MTZ Tires-mtz_drvrsun.jpg   Micky Thompson MTZ Tires-mtz_psngr.jpg   Micky Thompson MTZ Tires-mtz_drvrside.jpg