Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Lift requirements (if any) for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift requirements (if any) for new tires

Whats up guys, first post here. Tax season is here and I'm trying to beef up the 4Runner. I drive an 02 3rd gen 4runner SR5. So here's the plan, what I want to do is get a 2" front and rear leveling kit and put 33's on (285/75/16). I won't be doing any off-roading yet so I won't be flexing, just driving to and from work and maybe on the beach every once in a while. I will however put on a lift kit eventually but will a 2" leveling kit work for now? I'm open to chopping some layers off the 4Runner if needed, or if I have to downgrade to a smaller tire. I have 31's on there now with stock lift.

Additional info: the reason I'm not lifting the vehicle now is because the cost. To my understanding this would be the cheapest route possible. Eventually my wife and I want to get into some overlanding but with our second kid due in May it's gonna have to wait. I just want to take more pride in my ride and make it look good. Everyone wants a nice vehicle, I'm no different. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Fogelsmashxxx; 02-05-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome, edict dictates you intro yourself in the intro section. And post pics.

If you ever plan to put a lift on it then I'll give you a gem that was passed to me. Do it once and do it right, it'll be cheaper in the long run.Put a set of duratracs on it and call it good.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Welcome, edict dictates you intro yourself in the intro section. And post pics.

If you ever plan to put a lift on it then I'll give you a gem that was passed to me. Do it once and do it right, it'll be cheaper in the long run.Put a set of duratracs on it and call it good.
Literally answered not one of my questions but thanks for the input?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
He did give you solid advice in 2 parts. First most people who lift/level a rig just for tires aren't happy when they go to lift it a year later. Often times its bot much more money to get the lift you want by saving a but as well. Tax time is great way to start. Put the money aside and then when you have enough to do it right, pull the trigger. As to tire size you would be best served by searching build threads in the 3rd gen section to see what others have done and gotten away with. Ge recommend Duratrax for shoes and I would second this for a great off road tire. For street/all terrain tire i would go Yokohama Geolander AT.

There is a ton of information on this site. If you watch the newbie video it will help you direct your questions to the best areas to get the answers you are looking for. Maybe try posting a picture of a rig that inspired your question.

Welcome, don't forget to search.