Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG a/t for mostly street rig?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
BFG A/T's are NOT highly rated offroad tires. There's a reason their nickname is "Mall Terrains."
BS.

BFG AT's are an excellent rated tire (here and elsewhere). They aren't a competition compound Irok or Krawler, and not an MT; they're an All-Terrain. Use them for what they're made for and they're the best A/T on the market (and the most popular).

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I highly recommend this tire.

Mall rated? Please.
x100, I love All-Terrains. They are the best A/T you can buy, and priced competitively to boot! Good performance in rocks and dirt, acceptable in mud (for an A/T), excellent road manners and treadwear. Good traction in ice and snow, and there's nothing better in the sand short of paddles.

Highly recommended!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BFG A/T is more tire than most of us need.

If you aren't doing heavy duty wheeling try a Michelin LT M/S. Great tire.

My '99 is a daily driver. During hunting season I drive on some really awful old logging trails. I have had Michelin LT M/S's and Michelin Cross Terrains and I've never been stuck.

They also last forever and give you great mileage.

They aren't a macho "everyone look at me tire" and I know that's a consideration for some folks.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a serious look at the Bridgestone Deuler AT Revo. That's what I'm running now (siped) and they've been awesome on the road, especially on snow/ice/wet roads. I got them when I was living at 8,000 ft in SW Colorado because the BFG ATs weren't cutting it for winter driving, but they've been great in the summer too. They've never needed re-balancing, unlike the BFG ATs, which have needed a re-balance every 5-7k miles (I've been through several sets). They're also more than adequate for light trail use (and I don't mean dirt roads).

Having said all that, I'm about to put BFG ATs back on my truck when the Revos wear out in a few months. The Revos don't come in a 33 and 31 is a little small for 4.88:1. I'm also doing less winter driving now, and I'll be doing more wheeling in the near future.

Last edited by Greenman; 12-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwkr
91 x-cab, 4x4, 3.0. It has Michelin x radial LT's on it now, no complaints but after 80,000 miles they are getting pretty low. This rig is driven on road/highway most of the time with a little dirt/snow driving every now and then. I picked up 2 new BFG A/T's off CL, I'm trying to decide if I should buy two more or sell these and get something less aggressive. I'm mostly concerned with road noise and gas mileage. I know these are highly regarded off road tires, but how about on road handling/noise/mileage?
Interesting to see all of the widely varying oppinions on BFG AT's. I have personally had several sets of them and loved em'. They wear good, never had a flat and are very manageable on the street. Prob not as quiet as your current Michelins, but not too noisey either. I have over 35K on the set that is on my mall crawler edition Tacoma and they still have half thread or so, good enough for me to expect another 25K at least, and when they do wear out I will buy another set. Obviously they are not BFG Muds I have on my 4runner, but you would be suprised at what the AT's can do off pavement. I would stay away from the Rugged Fails, have them on my wifes 4runner and regret not getting the AT's instead. They have thin side walls and have sprung several leaks, I know I won't get the mileage out of them that I could have gotten with AT's. All in all, the "Mall-Terrains" are the best light truck tire for my money.