Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG Mud Terrains Vs. Nitto Mud Grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your not gonna be wheelin alot i'd get all terrains.. ive been contemplating this question for a while now and decided on bfg all terrains. I have them now and will be getting some more soon and they have been good to me on the road but i havent gotten a chance to go offroad yet but im sure they will do just fine if your not going to be doing much wheelin.The bfg mud terrains are definately a good tire but just consider how much you are going to be on the road..The all terrains seem to wear really well, you should consider that if your gonna be on the road alot.. just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM

[quote

Last edited by 302Toyota; 03-05-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Buckshots are the absolute noisiest tires made. I think they actually build them to make more noise on purpose. Yes, they are great in mud, but hell, so are tractor tires. He said he does not offroad. I can understand (a little) why someone with a four wheel drive would want the aggressive look of a mud tire. Do you see "full show" 4x4's with big 'ol street tires? NO! And how the hell does a mud tire get worse gas mileage? Rolling resistance? What is that supposed to mean? Who is feeding this crap? C'mon.
Are you feeling ok man BUCKSHOTS THE LOUDEST TIRE MADE hahah have you heard boggers, Thornturd ,Mud grapplers any Kind of Interco TSL ....You really think they make the tire to be loud ...haha ....Buckshots suck in the mud Buy you a set of swampers ....Mud tires are heavier the Lugs on the tread cause wind resistance ...take a all terrain just the tire and a TSL Bogger and roll the beside each other and see which one will go farther and smoother the all terrain (Rolling resistance)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

This thread is from last year so it might not be relavent now.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Why not just get a AT tire? The BFG m/t's are not very good in the rain (or snow). Other then that they are a great tire.
I beg to differ! I use worked at a tire shop and seen a lot of bad tires.....the best off road tire as far as Rain, Mud, Snow, and mild off road(working of the farm) is the BFG KM2 tire......I have owned 3 different trucks and the only tire that could do the job on them was the KM2, now I recently wanted to try the Nitto Mud Grappler just to try something different. But the BFG KM2 is a Great highway tire and great in the Snow at 70-75 it's like a hot knife in butter.....I have had my truck up to 105 with these BFG KM2's and there is no wobble no shimmy there a great tire!!! Not to mention it's time for New one hence the looking at Grapplers, I have got 55,000 miles on my KM2's so far and I may be able to get another 5k out of them before I have to replace them....now even with so many miles it's winter here in Michigan and I still have no problems with the BFG KM2's so don't dis something you have never owned!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
resurrected thread but I'll play.

I recently returned from 3yrs stationed overseas with truck sitting in storage (cali sun). My Destination M/T's where cracked from the weather, about 7yrs old, plus really out of balance (lots of chucks of tread missing from wheelin). So time to replace I figured. As most of my miles now are on road thought a solid A/T would be a better choice for fuel economy. I didn't pay much attention to the 4wd parts guy who said now a days the difference in rolling resistance of a MT to an AT is negotiable since tread compounds and patterns have devoloped. Surely he just wants to sale me a pricer tire I thought. Now in hind site I wish I'd have listened.

I average 17-18mpg in city with the way I like to drive, and best has been 19 mpg with lower RPM upshifts. I averaged 21-22mpg with in-town (not exactly San Antonio stop and go) and road driving on the MTs.

I now feel like should have just gotten the KM2 or MTR's that I wanted.

But Damn it Jim I am a Doc not a tire engineer!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Plus 1 for the km2's. My buddy got 61k on his set of 38's on a duramax Chevy. Now they were bald at 61k but had good usable tread till 55k ish miles. Quiet and great all around traction even for 38's. Due to money he just went with the 37" procomp mt's and neither of us is a fan. He is kicking himself in the ars for not payi a little bit more for another set of km2's. When I put new tires on my 4runner I am if I can at all afford it going with km2's. Or the BFG AT at a minimum. Great tires for the money. And they weigh the same so not really any change in rotating mass.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:08 PM

how are the Nitto Mud Grapplers?

I am at the point where I need new tires, I have 52k on my BFG KM2 tires, I want too try the Nitto Mud Grapplers next and was wondering who has used them and how many miles did you get with them, and finally how was the gas mileage? I heard there great with both!