Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Newb needs camping equip help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb needs camping equip help.

Hey guys, new here, although have been a drifter for many months. My gf and I are planning on going camping here in a few weeks and I was just looking for some tent recommendations. I have a strict budget (college student) and have picked out a few tents. Looking for anyone with current/pasts experiences. Researched a ton, and came up with Eureka is a good, affordable brand. Also, Coleman. Right now, down to these 3 tents? Trying to stay under $75 before shipping, thanks for the advice guys. You see I mention open sides, I live in TN, hot, humid summers, cold, wet winters. Are my open side concerns justified? Or is open/not closely related?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28252# <<<like these looks the best, and like the somewhat closed sides

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...header-28224WC <<not sure about the open sides?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Ho...8-x-7/16677072 <<and I work at Wal Mart so this would be discounted 10%, but also unsure about open sides.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
if you are looking for one that you can use for 3 seasons, go for the second one. the vents are nice during the summer but the rain fly is a poor design. . for wet stuff the first one would be better and therefore my first choice.

Unless Coleman has seriously improved their tents and rain flys from my experience they suck.

what ever brand you go for take the time to seal the seams...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM

I was thinking the second one, but i was concerned with the way in the picture it pictures the fly? Looks like it only covers half the window, but I'm guessing that the window also has an internal flap, which I believe I remember reading. Would the internal flap still keep water out in your opinion? Thanks for the quick response btw.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a tent that i found somewhere... (can't remember the brand). not the best of the best, but certainly held its own. took it for a week of camping in the grand canyon, not a single problem.

the tent has 2 poles that hold up an all-mesh screen tent, and the fly is full-covering, so there's no worry about rain. since it's all mesh with the fly held out a bit, there's no condensation.

oh, and it was $35

i'll see if i can find the info on it
Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 AM

That would be cool if you could. I have been looking on campmor's website mostly. I would LOVE to get a Columbia, or esp. a Mountain Hardwear, but being in college and having to pay rent and stuff, I def can't justify spending $150+ on a tent that I may not even get the days off work to use properly.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM

why not camp in the back? i took my truck for a few weeks of road trip/camping with the gf and we spent a few weeks on cl searching for free wood to build a sleeping platform, found a decent shell for 75 bucks that we sealed up with home depot supplies, and found someone giving away a wood futon so we had firewood and a futon pad to throw back there, whole thing was under a hundred bucks and there is no setup or tear down time and all locks up securely for the night, much better than sleeping on the ground too
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM

i'll have to look when i get home. the name printed on the tent is "bastion" with the "n" shaped like a castle turret. i can't find much on the net about them
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by POTAzoa
why not camp in the back? i took my truck for a few weeks of road trip/camping with the gf and we spent a few weeks on cl searching for free wood to build a sleeping platform, found a decent shell for 75 bucks that we sealed up with home depot supplies, and found someone giving away a wood futon so we had firewood and a futon pad to throw back there, whole thing was under a hundred bucks and there is no setup or tear down time and all locks up securely for the night, much better than sleeping on the ground too
Originally Posted by irab88
i'll have to look when i get home. the name printed on the tent is "bastion" with the "n" shaped like a castle turret. i can't find much on the net about them
I considered this POTA, however the gf quickly shot it down. But now that you mentioned it, I would like some more info on it. I have a light bar, so obviously that would have to come out first thing. You have any details on how you built your sleeping platform? And also, how tall are you? I run 6'1 with my gf at about 5'8. Would I be able to fit? I thought standard cabs were 6ft beds, I def don't have a long bed. And irab, if you could find it, that would be great, but you don't have to waste your time digging, I'll except just a quick check effort this time
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM

yeah, just a quick look in the closet. and if it helps someone out, it's not wasted time
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...atform-207638/
theres a good thread with tons of ideas. i'm 6'1 as well and the gf is about 5'10 and we both fit reasonably enough, though it really helps that we got a shell that extends above the height of the cab. it also was a contractor? type shell so it had windows on both sides that we opened if it got too warm and then we threw a huge bug net over the whole truck to keep out anything that'd bite. i've been camping in tents for years and will never go back, already built a sleeping platform for the runner too, though there's a little less room since i mounted the spare in the cab. dunno, up to you, the gf wasn't too keen on the idea either but after the first night of just pull up, cook, go to sleep on a mattress she warmed to the idea well
Old 10-04-2011, 10:56 AM

if you were closer i'd just give you my camper shell and platform, they didnt go with the truck and i dont need them with the runner
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by POTAzoa
if you were closer i'd just give you my camper shell and platform, they didnt go with the truck and i dont need them with the runner
Thanks for the idea, I'll pitch it around. And I wish I were closer, wish I lived out west. My best friend is in the Army at Ft. Lewis and says Seattle is the awesome. When he gets out, he plans on staying out there and not even coming back south. Says the women are beautiful, the weather (temperature wise) is good, and there is unlimited things to do.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If I ever need another tent, I think I'd drop the coin on a double Kamprite Tent Cot. It's the only one I could justify spending more than $100 on, but it looks worth it.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
If I ever need another tent, I think I'd drop the coin on a double Kamprite Tent Cot. It's the only one I could justify spending more than $100 on, but it looks worth it.
That would be awesome, maybe come income tax return time
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know I'm a few days late to this thread but I'd like to jump in with some advice.

First off tent camping is terrible, well unless you're doing a light weight hike into somewhere remote.

If you have a little bit of time and can not a lot of money then I'd recommend doing the "sleeping in the back of the truck" thing. I did it in my 86 pickup sleeping on an air mattress (like this http://truck-bedz.com/default.tpl?pa...05&id1=36&id2=[id2]&id3=[id3]&--eqskudatarq=39%20%20VCSB%20T1). I bought mine for a lot less than that at a local sporting goods place near the end of the camping season. I did have the advantage of having a camper on my truck already but those can usually be found on CL for little or nothing. FYI I'm 6'1" and slept in there just fine although I'd have done somethings different for cold weather sleeping.

I ended up getting a large box given to me by a friend that I was able to put all of my camping gear into so it's easy to load and unload when we go camping. All I had to add was an ice chest for goodies and pillows/blankets but you'd have to haul those anyway.

How the mattress fits.

How it all packs up.

Packed in the truck

You could probably do something similar for little out of pocket expense. I even kept all this stuff and transferred it over to my 89 4runner and am still camping like that every time we go.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I know I'm a few days late to this thread but I'd like to jump in with some advice.

First off tent camping is terrible, well unless you're doing a light weight hike into somewhere remote.

If you have a little bit of time and can not a lot of money then I'd recommend doing the "sleeping in the back of the truck" thing. I did it in my 86 pickup sleeping on an air mattress (like this http://truck-bedz.com/default.tpl?pa...05&id1=36&id2=[id2]&id3=[id3]&--eqskudatarq=39%20%20VCSB%20T1). I bought mine for a lot less than that at a local sporting goods place near the end of the camping season. I did have the advantage of having a camper on my truck already but those can usually be found on CL for little or nothing. FYI I'm 6'1" and slept in there just fine although I'd have done somethings different for cold weather sleeping.

I ended up getting a large box given to me by a friend that I was able to put all of my camping gear into so it's easy to load and unload when we go camping. All I had to add was an ice chest for goodies and pillows/blankets but you'd have to haul those anyway.

How the mattress fits.

How it all packs up.

Packed in the truck

You could probably do something similar for little out of pocket expense. I even kept all this stuff and transferred it over to my 89 4runner and am still camping like that every time we go.

Just some food for thought.
That's super awesome. I'm going to keep an eye out for a topper for sure. Can you (or anyone else) give me the measurements I would need to be looking for? I haven't had much luck. Also, on a side note, how is your shovel and hi-lift mounted there? Custom or you buy mounts? Thanks for the help
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll have to look online for measurements, my camping stuff is down in Idaho while I'm working in North Dakota. The hi-lift and shovel were mounted to the removable bed sides with hi-lift mounts. Pretty secure and out of the way.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I'll have to look online for measurements, my camping stuff is down in Idaho while I'm working in North Dakota. The hi-lift and shovel were mounted to the removable bed sides with hi-lift mounts. Pretty secure and out of the way.
Loving where the hi lift mounts. If you can find anything online, I would greatly appreciate. Maybe I have just been searching the wrong thing? Lol
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM

hey, sorry for not getting back sooner, but i couldn't find anything on the tents. no tag, no name, nada. i did find out that it's made in china, and not to use propane appliances inside it
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
hey, sorry for not getting back sooner, but i couldn't find anything on the tents. no tag, no name, nada. i did find out that it's made in china, and not to use propane appliances inside it
Your good man. Thanks for coming back period. Lol. Mustard just been one of those awesome one time deals. Lol